• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Caution: Two Different Oil Filters on Buick Encore -- Not Interchangeable

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
Actually, there are two possible filters for the Encore with the LUV engine :
PF2257G / GM# 55594651 (Hengst Housing)
PF2263G / GM# 25195785 (UFI Housing)
Again, you can simply read the GM Tech Note from the original post to verify this.
If I followed your instructions for the (LUV) I would have the wrong filter because mine has the UFI housing.

Hi, Just wanted to say thanks for the important info posted on this thread, and also to ask for a little help concerning the 2019 Encore Preferred I purchased about a month ago. It has the LUV engine and the UFI oil filter housing, but stamped on the housing cap it says "use UFI filter # 25195775, which differs from the two numbers above as well as the numbers listed in my owner's manual, and is a bit of a head scratcher. I assume I can use any of the UFI filters mentioned in this thread, but thought someone here could explain this different number. I will check further and see if GM or Buick has info for # 25195775. Thanks.

EDIT: Oops-- Just saw on the GM Tech Note linked above that # 25195775 is stamped on the picture of the UFI housing, and so I'm good to go with the corresponding filter shown.

Last edited:

ken-clifton

Buick Ownership
2018 Encore Premium
stamped on the housing cap it says "use UFI filter # 25195775, which differs from the two numbers above as well as the numbers listed in my owner's manual, and is a bit of a head scratcher.
The correct GM oil filter number for your UFI housing is 25195785 or AC# PF2263G.
My UFI housing cap is marked exactly as you say, but that part number has been superseded by the 25195785. It is a real shame that GM makes getting the correct filter such a screwed up challenge / mess.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
The correct GM oil filter number for your UFI housing is 25195785 or AC# PF2263G.
My UFI housing cap is marked exactly as you say, but that part number has been superseded by the 25195785. It is a real shame that GM makes getting the correct filter such a screwed up challenge / mess.
Thanks for the quick response. Yes, one needs to be sure about such things, and GM should have learned that lesson by now.

Steveyo

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Encore
sTp #12246 also has the valve @ $5.50 AutoZone
Thanks for mentioning the STP/AutoZone filters. I ordered 8 at (now) $5 each, and hope I'll live long enough to use all of them. I'm assuming the quality of STP filters is acceptable, and, if so, at $5 it's a nice deal. I wonder if AutoZone purchased a big lot of the UFI filters thinking that they would be the most sought after by Encore and other GM owners?

Riz

Buick Ownership
2017 Encore AWD
Took delivery of a 2017 Encore a couple weeks ago and the oil looked dirty. Dealer forcefully said the oil was changed. Drove it for a couple of weeks and couldn't stand it. I drained the oil which was brown and filthy and old as heck. The oil filter that was in the car was also the wrong one. I have a UFI housing and someone put in the Heinst filter. It was also caked with crud and it's a miracle the engine didn't starve for oil. Here it is side by side with the correct filter. I'm so ticked off at my dealer!

Attachments

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Took delivery of a 2017 Encore a couple weeks ago and the oil looked dirty. Dealer forcefully said the oil was changed. Drove it for a couple of weeks and couldn't stand it. I drained the oil which was brown and filthy and old as heck. The oil filter that was in the car was also the wrong one. I have a UFI housing and someone put in the Heinst filter. It was also caked with crud and it's a miracle the engine didn't starve for oil. Here it is side by side with the correct filter. I'm so ticked off at my dealer!
I don't trust anyone, especially dealers with my cars. I had to have the dealer do the first 4 oil changes on my Regal for warranty purposes. So the first oil change I had them do at 800 miles and the remaining 3 every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
Every time I went there one of the fellas kept telling me I'm wasting oil life and their oil is high quality blah blah blah. But by the time the oil life monitor showed 60% life left, the oil was darker than the devil's soul at midnight in a tunnel.

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Ditto in not trusting dealerships and quick change oil/lube shops.
Have seen and heard of too many instances where the shops really screwed up.

I personally have always done my own maintenance, but I'm "old school" and grew up working on the family cars with Dad.

As to oil life... I don't agree with or trust the "remaining life" display. I used to be a 3,000 miles changer, but now do 5,000 miles as today's oil is better, and in general today's tight clearance engines are also "easier" on the oil. However, I also think the Direct Injection engines contaminate and break down the oil faster than other modern non-DI engines. But that's just my opinion...

Riz

Buick Ownership
2017 Encore AWD
Update:
I wrote a hand written letter to the dealer General Manager and he has ignored me completely. Not even a courtesy call. I then reported this to Buick and wow what a total lack of concern. Buick told me I needed to take my car back to the dealer to have the oil changed. I tried several times to explain I already changed the oil and this is when I found the wrong filter installed. Buick ignored what I was trying to say and just gave me lip service there is nothing they can do. Not even an oh were so sorry your dealer screwed you, nothing. I'm sick of dealers. Crooks to their core!