• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Caution: Two Different Oil Filters on Buick Encore -- Not Interchangeable

Wishin

Buick Ownership
2019 Encore
To clarify this issue,
They have updated the 2019 manual.

They should send notification via mail to all owners of other model years.

Jeff
The LUV engine has two possibilities for the engine oil filter and housing. The easiest way to determine which one applies to your car is to check the color and configuration of the filter housing cover. A brown, ribbed cover for the UFI element and a black, smooth cover for the Hengst element. The manual for my 2019 is still confusing.

oregon_rider

Buick Ownership
Encore
To clarify this issue,

The LUV engine has two possibilities for the engine oil filter and housing. The easiest way to determine which one applies to your car is to check the color and configuration of the filter housing cover. A brown, ribbed cover for the UFI element and a black, smooth cover for the Hengst element. The manual for my 2019 is still confusing.

Yep.

I purchased a 2019 for my daughter. This is in addition to the 2018 that my wife drives.

One is hengst and one is ufi.

The oil change monkey at a dealership is the least experienced person on the shop floor. I don't trust they will do the right thing here....

I now do all my own oil changes to ensure correct oil filter is installed.

I have some AC Delco filters in the shelf. But will be running WIX going forward.

I will only run either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum full synthetics in this engine and change it every 5k miles. Right now I have a bunch of Mobil 1 on the shelf that I got on sale at a local bi Mart store.

Jeff

Again

Magnetic Hill, New-Brunswick, Canada
Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Here are the 2 different caps.

_______Hengst_________________UFI_______

uTyjYf0.jpg

2017EP2Owner

Buick Ownership
None - sold that piece of crap
So looking at the parts manual at GMPartsDirect there was only one oil filter listed for my 2018 Encore Premium Trim. Since I have always done my own oil changes, I ordered six of the AC PF2257G oil filters. Unfortunately when I went to change the oil, in spite of what the parts manual said for the "premium" trim, the engine had the AC PF2263G oil filter. That meant an unexpected trip to the dealer paying full retail price for the other oil filter. And, if anyone wants some of the PF2257G filters for the Hengst housing I have six brand-new ones that I can't use -- lets talk.

Here is a comparison of the two oil filter designs that are used from 2013 to 2019 on the Encore, and it occurs to me that someone in a hurry could easily put the wrong oil filter in -- as the two are very close, but the one on the right (UFI) has a built-in bypass valve! Installing the PF2257G into the UFI housing can cause serious engine damage! It might be advisable to at least show or print a tech note (link) about this and take it with you. There have been many reports of the wrong filter being installed in Chevrolet Trax, Sonics and Cruzes with the UFI housing.
View attachment 12447

THANK YOU so much for posting this. I'm a new owner of a 2017 Preferred ii and have done a lot of research with this vehicle. The first thing I did was to check/change the oil. And guess what? The dealership had performed the last oil change, installing the incorrect oil filter! I have the brown UFI cap, and needed the PF2263g, but had the PF2257g installed.

Now, I bought the car with 9k on the odometer. You mention irrepritable damage will occur, but just cannot find out what that would/could be. What should I be looking for? I do realize with the lack of a check valve, the oil may be taking the path of least resistance, and recirculating without being filtered. That damage seems obvious to me.

As far as drive ability, I swear I noticed a difference on the first drive after install.

Thank you again!

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

2017EP2Owner

Buick Ownership
I would take that filter back to the dealer and have it put on record so that they are liable for any future damage. Wouldn't think there would be too much damage if they actually filled it with synthetic. Good thing you caught it when you did.

Exactly what I have done. Started the conversation of Friday with my Salesman, who has relayed this to the service department. Expecting to hear from them on Monday since it was late. I have taken photos and documented it in the self service area of the Buick Owners website. Attached is a pic of the old filter and the new, correct one...

Attachments

• 20200529_093846.jpg
    20200529_093846.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 8

G-654369

Looks like a piece of the old filter is broken off. Did you recover it?

ThatsNotABuick!

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo M6
No, and in fact 2 of the tabs were broken and missing.
The good news is the part that broke off looks pretty big, so they are probably just hanging out in your oil pan. The bad news is that if the moons align correctly, they could block some flow for the oil pickup one day.

2017EP2Owner

Buick Ownership
Or check inside the pleats of the filter, if you're lucky the filter caught them.

Found them!

Spun off the filter and took a good look in the housing assembly. Both pieces were still trapped in the metal housing. Couldn't fit thru the passages. Had to use a mechanics mirror and flashlight, but now I feel a lot better knowing they didn't make it anywhere.

Still doesn't dismiss the incompetence of the grease monkey that changed my oil at a dealership. I do expect much better service at a dealership than a quick change place. No matter though, I can handle most maintenance and repairs myself. Unless of course, it's still under warranty.

Thank you both for your help and advice.

Again

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
Did you take pictures for documentation? I took my Buick Encore once to the dealer for the rattling resonator, it was practically new. When I picked it up the grease monkey had managed to drop the prop rod on the fender and putting a zipper scratch on the same fender. Service advisor said it wasn't them but the damage wasn't there before. Never went back! It is in this morning to get that zipper mark buffed out, hope they can do something about it.

ThatsNotABuick!

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal CXL Turbo M6
I had four free oil changes for my wife's Encore. I did not take advantage of any of them, as there is more of a chance for them to screw something up like that. What is scary is the closest Chevy dealership to me does not even stock the correct oil filter for her Encore. It would have to be a special order! I feel sorry for all the Trax owners who are getting the wrong filter.

Glen Baker

Las Vegas NV
Buick Ownership
Encore
Hi
I'm planning on doing my first oil on my 2018 Buick encore essence.
After read the different filter forums I'm still confused. My filter housing is stamped with ufi gm 25 199 225 see picture.
At this point I have no idea what filter is correct. I don't know if I have a LUV engine or not.
In 50 years of owning over 35 cars and trucks some short term a few months some long term 17 years. Never had a problem like this just to do an oil change.
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 20200912_082912_Film1.jpg
    20200912_082912_Film1.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Again

Buick Ownership
2016 Encore
The GM part number for the UFI filter is
GM#25195785 FILTER KIT, OIL(INCLUDES 403)(PART OF 418)(CAP MARKED: UFI)

The number you are showing may be a casting number for the UFI housing itself which may vary depending on what version they are at, it has been superseded by GM#25200134

Screenshot 2020-09-13 10.33.43.png

Screenshot 2020-09-13 11.41.23.png

Filters can be found on Amazon and now in most car parts supply dealer.

Screenshot 2020-09-13 10.45.48.png

Last edited:

mumdb1

Buick Ownership
Encore
Exact same thing on my wife's 2017 Encore. Picked it up used with 20k on it last year, dealer changed the oil before we bought it, and of course today after changing the oil myself, found the wrong filter had been used. 2 of the 4 tabs were broken off and I can't find them. Never in my life have I seen such a cluster. Was lucky enough to find the right filter at Napa down the road. Huge thanks to everyone that added to this thread.

No, and in fact 2 of the tabs were broken and missing.