• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Disable Automatic Stop/Start

shs92645

Barrington, RI
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
When I considered upgrading from my ‘13 GS to a new one, the information on here about methods to disable stop/start was a critical part of my decision. I ended up buying a CPO ‘18 GS and drove it for two weeks prior to installing the Smartstop module. It took me less than 10 minutes to install and I now have a “normal” car. The auto stop/start is absurd and one of the worst technologies to be put in modern cars.

Billib

TourX
When I considered upgrading from my ‘13 GS to a new one, the information on here about methods to disable stop/start was a critical part of my decision. I ended up buying a CPO ‘18 GS and drove it for two weeks prior to installing the Smartstop module. It took me less than 10 minutes to install and I now have a “normal” car. The auto stop/start is absurd and one of the worst technologies to be put in modern cars.
Yes. it is completely stupid. Additional wear on starter, batteries, rotating assemblies, not to mention how invasive it is. I got the range technology and have been fully satisfied.

Iansignia

UK
TourX
I have just disconnected the hood switch on the lower latch ( 2 min job ) and apart from having to clear the dash warning once on each start up it has killed the Stop/start dead.... will continue to monitor.....

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Clear the code on each start up vs opening the hood on each start up...which one sounds easier?

Rk54Strat

Sustaining Member
TourX
Does anyone know what the battery charge level threshold is for the S/S to become disabled ? I’ve never been bothered by the S/S though I recently realized it wasn’t working at all. The car hasn’t been driven for anything longer than 15-20 minuets at a time every few days for the last 2 months. I’m guessing the battery charge is low and the display shows 13.2 volts.

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Does anyone know what the battery charge level threshold is for the S/S to become disabled ? I’ve never been bothered by the S/S though I recently realized it wasn’t working at all. The car hasn’t been driven for anything longer than 15-20 minuets at a time every few days for the last 2 months. I’m guessing the battery charge is low and the display shows 13.2 volts.
13.2V while engine is running?

MaKeN

2019 Buick regal tour x
i just shift to Neutral or Manual mode on a red light so the car wont turn engine off ...

in N or M it wont turn engine off .... works on red lights but in heavy traffic not really ...

this thing just kills your starter and engine ... why would they not make an option to turn it off ?

shs92645

Barrington, RI
2013 Regal GS, Smokey Grey, auto, 19”, Nav
They should but they don’t because it gives credit towards fuel mileage standards. After I bought my V6 GS just over a month ago I drove it for two weeks to see if I could get used to ASS. No deal so I installed the module and I’ve really enjoyed the past 3 weeks with a normal car.

MaKeN

2019 Buick regal tour x
Unbuckling the driver seat belt when the ASS kicked in will also restart the engine right away.
restarting is one thing ... problem is in that engine turns off ... restarting is easy .... even take your foot from brake pedal for a second it restarts it ....

what i dont like is that it turns off .... so all the oil goes down to the pan ... and then every time engine turns back on, it is self damaging cuz instead of idle with oil all over ... it has to turn on with oil back down to the pan ... also the starter gets impact 2 ....

i see no logic in this .... the biggest dmg done to the engine is turning it on... same to the starter ... and same to the commission done by engine at a vehicle start ( its a lot bigger than just idle ) ...... may be i dont understand something

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
You can count me to hate this system.
But, I can live with it as long as I can turn the damn thing off with a button built in from factory.

1500cc

Ontario
2018 Regal GS
They should but they don’t because it gives credit towards fuel mileage standards.
Not true. Cars have to be tested in their 'default' state, so as long as stop-start is on by default, you can have a switch to turn in off. And of course many cars do.

Wag0n

2018 Regal TourX Essence | 2019 Envision Essence
Not true. Cars have to be tested in their 'default' state, so as long as stop-start is on by default, you can have a switch to turn in off. And of course many cars do.
This statement is not accurate. Each manufacturer has various ways of meeting the off-cycle credits. GM met them at the time by making it less likely for drivers to disable the auto-stop-start function:

(PDF) How will off-cycle credits impact U.S. 2025 efficiency standards?

EPA
notes that engine stop-start is only eligible for o-cycle credits if the technology’s
predominant operating mode is on, making it less likely for drivers to disable its function
(EPA, 2018a);

jimwoe

2020 Regal GS
Hunter, the RangeTechnology Start/Stop device works with all GM vehicles. When I went to their website I went to the "Vehicles" drop-down and saw that my vehicle was not on the list. So I emailed them about it and one of their Customer Service Reps replied that the drop-down was only for the AFM Disabler (because that device prevents 6 & 8 cylinder cars from shutting down cylinders to save fuel). She assured me the Start/Stop device would work for my car (2019 Buick Regal Sportback), and sure enough she was right! If you are not sure then go ahead and email them - they responded to me within 24 hours.

I'm not 100% sure that all GM dealers will install the Auto Start/Stop device though. I asked my dealer and he said they would not install it (McKenney Chevrolet/Buick/GMC, Lowell, NC). We have bought 3 cars from them since 2008 and get regular service there, so I don't think he would lie to me. I can't speak for all GM dealers, I just know my dealer will not install it.
What was your part number? I took my AFM disabler RA003 out of my 2014 GMC pick up truck and put it in the 2020 Regal GS and disabled ASS

Get your turbo buick badge right here!