Votes: 11 15.5%
  • Smoked Pearl Metallic

Votes: 15 21.1%

• Total voters

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
My last four cars were black. I actually was looking for the white tricoat this time around, but couldn't find one with the options I was looking for including the new UI.

Wound up with black again lol.

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Been wondering - how is the Tricoat white different than the stock white? I assume they mean it has 3 coats, but is it pearlescent or ... ?
Think of Summit White as City Construction Truck White. Tri-Coat has the a Pearl sheen to it. I would have taken Summit White if it had been available.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Red because that's practically the only GS in Canada at the time of my purchase lol
There were 2 fully loaded GS near me (London ON) last week, one black, one white tri-coat. Since my last two cars have been black I really needed a change, and ended up getting a fantastic deal on the white. TBH you really can't see anything special about the tri-coat until you're up close, but in general I think white complements the car's shape nicely.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I bought and voted for Darkmoon Blue, but the two-tone blue & white is starting to grow on me. At least until it's warm enough to wash the car without getting frozen inside. It really makes the accent crease in the doors pop out.13625

gmejia324

Buick Ownership
TourX
My least favorite part of the TourX is the chrome strip running the length of the car which makes the dark colors least appealing to me. I think it would have worked much better had it ended just after the back door window. That said just bought the midnight blue version. My personal favorite is the Sport Red, looks killer with the lines of the both TourX and Sportback next is the white because it makes the above mentioned chrome trim disappear, on the TourX that is.

LeeH

Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Tour X Essence
Lee, I spend a lot of time in OEM paint shops and I have never seen a separate process for a different color or quality of paint. I believe they all go through the same line in the same amount of time, but since these cars are painted in Germany it might be different. Pretty common to do 5 layers (e-coat, primer, anti-chip, base coat and clear coat) so adding an additional coating for certain VINs would wreak havoc in the paint shop. The Tricoat must just mean something about the paint and not the actual process.
Here is a good link describing tri coat versus single coat. The oem process is the same 3-Stage, Candy or Tri-Coat Paint

Prox

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Here is a good link describing tri coat versus single coat. The oem process is the same 3-Stage, Candy or Tri-Coat Paint
In the custom world this would be simple enough, just adds more labor and material cost. I have never seen this process in person at an OEM and am wracking my brain trying to figure out how they do it on the same paint line as the "normal" colors. Maybe they batch them all together and have extra automation JUST for this? Seems like an incredible investment that would take up floorspace and cycle time.

Gary N

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I mostly live in Florida. Here and in most HOT Southern States, White is the way to go.

If you should go for Black, and you've never had a Black car, you'll be sorry. Not only because of the heat, but because you cant keep it clean. Well, perhaps for 5 minutes. Also, it shows EVERY SCRATCH.

I've had two black cars in my lifetime.
1973 Pontiac Grand Am.
2003 Mercury Marauder.

Never again. Black.
NEVER.
All true, BUT there is nothing prettier than a freshly waxed black car.

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
In the custom world this would be simple enough, just adds more labor and material cost. I have never seen this process in person at an OEM and am wracking my brain trying to figure out how they do it on the same paint line as the "normal" colors. Maybe they batch them all together and have extra automation JUST for this? Seems like an incredible investment that would take up floorspace and cycle time.
That's why it costs nearly $1000 more.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Hey LJ,
What size tires did you put on? Can you take more pics? When my stock tires go, I want the fattest, widest tires that will fit!
Prox
255 45 ZR 18 are +1 size per Discount Tire, really close to same height but wider. At 130 mph on speedo you are really going 129 mph. You could probably go bigger but might need wider rims.13676136751367613677
Hey LJ,
What size tires did you put on? Can you take more pics? When my stock tires go, I want the fattest, widest tires that will fit!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.