• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Regal Sportback Transmission issue

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Essence
Well, looks like this transmission replacement is not quite right. When I was backing out of the garage this morning I noticed a slight rattling noise when it's in reverse. The dealer said to bring it back and let their transmission guy listen to it.:(
Make them get it right. Transmission swaps can be tricky and everything has to be precisely aligned. I’ve had a transmission swap done by the dealer before and I had to keep taking it back until they got it right. They will try to get you to accept something less than perfect.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
could be the skid plate....some here have mentioned vibration noises when not fully fastened. Hopefully that is all it is.

rjw

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
Just got back from the dealer. The rattling noise was caused by the exhaust. Apparently they had to tighten a couple of bolts to fix it.

I suspect the reason they did not detect it during the test drive is because they had the radio cranked up!

Thanks everybody for all your comments, it helps to know you are not alone when the issues begin.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by corn fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
2021 Buick Encore. It was loaded with a bunch of features, but it was just too small and there was a lot on engine noise. I put over 2,500 miles on that sucker.
I had one as a rental just before the pandemic and agree, it’s definitely too small. We test drove and Envision and it’s better in size, but my wife hated the seats. When you lean the seats all the way back there’s a horrible bump in your back caused by the way the seat is constructed. So if we are to get a Buick SUV, we will have to test out the Enclave or go GMC or Cadillac (Amy eyes are drooling for the new Lyriq anyway)

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
I had one as a rental just before the pandemic and agree, it’s definitely too small. We test drove and Envision and it’s better in size, but my wife hated the seats. When you lean the seats all the way back there’s a horrible bump in your back caused by the way the seat is constructed. So if we are to get a Buick SUV, we will have to test out the Enclave or go GMC or Cadillac (Amy eyes are drooling for the new Lyriq anyway)
We love our 2020 Traverse if you're willing to stoop to the level of a Chevy. Same guts as the Enclave. I like the Acadia but we were able to get a much better deal on the Traverse with the same features.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by corn fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
We love our 2020 Traverse if you're willing to stoop to the level of a Chevy. Same guts as the Enclave. I like the Acadia but we were able to get a much better deal on the Traverse with the same features.
Look ar my signature, I have a Chevy volt and suburban, one averages 70MPG then other about 9mpg. But with my wife’s back, one requirement going forward is power passenger seats with lumbar. That puts us into Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo, etc.

Pat84

Buick Ownership
Regal
I appreciated this thread. I’ve had nothing but issues with my ‘19 Regal. It now has 101000km, transmission started slipping on highway same as described by the OP. I called onstar but they only covered to closest gm dealer which was closed for holidays in a town with no motels and no car rental places. It went into limp mode and I needed to get another 150 km ( 100 miles or so). I got there and she completely quit. I am about 500 miles from home, the first dealer which onstar towed my car to would not lend out a courtesey car nor a rental ( note that I work in this town, and have my family here but my boy at my other city of residence as well), I had it towed to another dealer who will provide me a loaner until they can diagnose it- I only have power train warranty left, they are saying “maybe” it’ll be covered. I hope it’s a warranty fix, and then I’ll take a loss if needed, getting a Honda. Between poor customer service, never ending issues that are never actually rectified by dealer, and unreliability ( including they were ok with leaving me and my 6 year old autistic boy stranded) I am done.
(Same dealer who services my baby mama’s ‘20 terrain which has a coolant leak they refuse to repair other than “courtesy top ups” is the one she purchased the terrain from
Brand new and the one who wouldn’t do anything to help- and baby mama here needs her car can’t let me use it or she is then stranded too )

rjw

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
Well, the saga of the 2019 Buick Regal Sport Back transmission issue is continuing.

Last year the transmission went bad after 25K miles. The local dealer (Lowell NC) ended up replacing it with a new transmission. This past Friday (Good Friday) we started on the 3 day weekend vacation in the mountains. The good times lasted only 2 hours. As we were climbing the hill the get to Blowing Rock NC the transmission went out again! The car only has 35K miles on it, so that means the brand-new transmission they put into it only lasted 10K miles!

We managed to crawl to the Buick dealer in Boone to have them look at it. They said the tranny was cooked. They showed us tranny fluid leaking from near the top of the tranny. They said it appeared to them the transmission line seal was installed incorrectly which caused the issue. So, they are trying to blame our local dealer. They charged me parts & labor for replacing the seal & the fluid. They said they are charging me so as to not screw up any possible warranty claim on the tranny. Not sure I believe that but I wanted to get the car & go home so I paid them.

Our local dealer is disputing that. I don't know who is correct, but there is no transmission fluid on my garage floor so I am not sure I'm believing the "leaky seal" theory. The local dealer said he will get us a reimbursement for that repair bill, and he will see what he needs to do to get the tranny rebuilt or replaced. They do not have an available courtesy car (and there is a waiting list 2 weeks long!), so he said he will reimburse us for the rental car.

We got a rental from Enterprise so we could finish our weekend, then I sent the wife, dog & rental car home last night. I rode home with the AAA tow truck today.

I love my Regal and would prefer not to have to trade it in, but I cannot find anything that compares to it. Where are you going to find a 2.0 Liter Turbo that cranks up to 250HP? So far I am not impressed with the Camry, Accord, Passat, Sonata or Kia K5, so I'm not sure which way I am going to go.

Right now the trade-in value is pretty good, but I'm not liking any of the 2022 options. Since I have a 6 year 70K drivetrain warranty I am considering keeping it until 69K and seeing what the options are then. That should get me to 2024 or possibly 2025 (but a lower trade-in value).

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Dogditcher

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal
I forgot about this thread
4 months and 2200 miles later my car was back in shop
This time torque converter (which probably should of been replaced with first repair)
Cars only has 22,000 miles not sure i can trust it :(

Attachments

• Trans 2.jpg
    Trans 2.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 12

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
I love my Regal and would prefer not to have to trade it in, but I cannot find anything that compares to it. Where are you going to find a 2.0 Liter Turbo that cranks up to 250300HP? So far I am not impressed with the Camry, Accord, Passat, Sonata or Kia K5, so I'm not sure which way I am going to go.
I fixed that for you.

rjw

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
Wow! It goes that high? I didn't realize. I know that merging onto the interstate is no problem with this baby. It will go from 50 to 90 pretty quickly.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
How do you get 300hp? All the websites I searched say the TourX is only 250hp. I’m guessing the Sportback has the same engine. Maybe the v6 has 300hp…
I included the additional 50 HP available via Trifecta Tune. :D

I didn't mean to cause confusion. If you want my opinion, the Trifecta Tune should be a standard option!

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
Did the dealer rebuild your transmission in house or did you get a GM certified rebuilt transmission?

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
Well, the saga of the 2019 Buick Regal Sport Back transmission issue is continuing.

Last year the transmission went bad after 25K miles. The local dealer (Lowell NC) ended up replacing it with a new transmission. This past Friday (Good Friday) we started on the 3 day weekend vacation in the mountains. The good times lasted only 2 hours. As we were climbing the hill the get to Blowing Rock NC the transmission went out again! The car only has 35K miles on it, so that means the brand-new transmission they put into it only lasted 10K miles!

We managed to crawl to the Buick dealer in Boone to have them look at it. They said the tranny was cooked. They showed us tranny fluid leaking from near the top of the tranny. They said it appeared to them the transmission line seal was installed incorrectly which caused the issue. So, they are trying to blame our local dealer. They charged me parts & labor for replacing the seal & the fluid. They said they are charging me so as to not screw up any possible warranty claim on the tranny. Not sure I believe that but I wanted to get the car & go home so I paid them.

Our local dealer is disputing that. I don't know who is correct, but there is no transmission fluid on my garage floor so I am not sure I'm believing the "leaky seal" theory. The local dealer said he will get us a reimbursement for that repair bill, and he will see what he needs to do to get the tranny rebuilt or replaced. They do not have an available courtesy car (and there is a waiting list 2 weeks long!), so he said he will reimburse us for the rental car.

We got a rental from Enterprise so we could finish our weekend, then I sent the wife, dog & rental car home last night. I rode home with the AAA tow truck today.

I love my Regal and would prefer not to have to trade it in, but I cannot find anything that compares to it. Where are you going to find a 2.0 Liter Turbo that cranks up to 250HP? So far I am not impressed with the Camry, Accord, Passat, Sonata or Kia K5, so I'm not sure which way I am going to go.

Right now the trade-in value is pretty good, but I'm not liking any of the 2022 options. Since I have a 6 year 70K drivetrain warranty I am considering keeping it until 69K and seeing what the options are then. That should get me to 2024 or possibly 2025 (but a lower trade-in value).
I’ve heard many similar stories over the years when people have tranny problems requiring significant maintenance or a rebuild. Rear ends are the same way.

I recommend finding the most qualified tranny tech in your area and then find out who works on his tranny.

RTF

I forgot about this thread
4 months and 2200 miles later my car was back in shop
This time torque converter (which probably should of been replaced with first repair)
Cars only has 22,000 miles not sure i can trust it :(

Does anyone know if the GS uses the same torque converter? I have this same issue going on on my GS.

RegalScott

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence
Not sure but the torque converter should be renewed any time a transmission is replaced or rebuilt. I suspect all the trash that went into the torque converter the first time took out the trans the second time. The service manager should have known better unless there was availability issues.

rjw

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
Finally got the car back today.

Here are the details:
Torque converter was purple in color due to overheating and had a damaged bushing.
Pump body bushings damaged and out of place.
Heat damage to 2-9 clutch plates.
A field service engineer visited dealership to inspect transmission.
Unable to isolate cause of damage.

Necessary to replace Transmission, Radiator with cooler, TCM and restring TCC circuit 6401.
So, this time they did a whole lot more work than the previous tranny replacement.

abizzle

Sustaining Member
Denham Springs, LA
Buick Ownership
Finally got the car back today.

Here are the details:
Torque converter was purple in color due to overheating and had a damaged bushing.
Pump body bushings damaged and out of place.
Heat damage to 2-9 clutch plates.
A field service engineer visited dealership to inspect transmission.
Unable to isolate cause of damage.

Necessary to replace Transmission, Radiator with cooler, TCM and restring TCC circuit 6401.
So, this time they did a whole lot more work than the previous tranny replacement.
Great Googly Moogly! All that damage and they couldn’t find the cause?!

I’m glad they did all that work, tho. Less chance of further problems down the road.