• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

SpareTire

milicz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
Modern spare got back to me:
Thank you for reaching out to us. Yes, the spare should still fit in the tire well, However, the included mounting hardware that locks the wheel in place is not compatible. But jsut to make sure, I recommend that you get the diameter of your tier well. The spare has a T155/70R18 tire - 26.5" we have sold many for other Regal trims especially the GS and it fits well in their trunk well and we want to make sure it's the same. looking forward hearing from you soon.

Update:
Please disregard our previous email in regards to spare tire well fitment. Concerning the note, it has come to our attention that the Sportback and TourX models do not have a spare tire well that will accomodate a spare tire. Instead, they more or less have a storage compartment that is not big enough for a spare. As such, most of our customers that have the Sportback and TourX Models purchase the kit with the carrying case as this allows them to store everything neatly within the trunk of their vehice.

Last edited:

Buick Ownership
New Tourx Owner
Jack - GM (23455285) This is the OEM jack for the Sportback. $34.02 on line from any of the GM Parts dealers. I bought one and it works perfectly.

kriswinner

Buick Ownership
1993 Riviera, 2018 Regal TourX, 2019 Enclave
Would a 135/90R17 spare fit in the well? Very close to the stock tire size.
1545326035349.png

The tires are readily available on Challengers, 300s, Magnums, and Five Hundred/prev-gen Taurus.
Would need 2.7" additional for the tire height and another 0.4" for the tire width.
1545326271822.png

Would it fit?

Just wondering if the DTS rim + Taurus tire could be the solution.

Buick Ownership
New Tourx Owner
Would a 135/90R17 spare fit in the well? Very close to the stock tire size.
View attachment 13069

The tires are readily available on Challengers, 300s, Magnums, and Five Hundred/prev-gen Taurus.
Would need 2.7" additional for the tire height and another 0.4" for the tire width.
View attachment 13070

Would it fit?

Just wondering if the DTS rim + Taurus tire could be the solution.
I don't think it would fit. I tried a spare from a 2013 Equinox and it was not even close to fitting. The stiffener bar that runs side to side in front of the spare tire well really makes it hard to fit anything larger then the 125/70/17.

Stiles

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Preferred
If you guys want a spare that's very close to the regular tire diameter, I bought a 165/80-17 Yokohama tire from Tire Rack and had it mounted on a junkyard 17x4 Buick donut rim. The resulting donut is a very close match to the 235/50-18 at 0.4% larger, it fits and drives fine, the tall sidewall is great over potholes and the load capacity is actually higher than our full size tires. And for ~$122 delivered it's not expensive, plus it has a speed rating of 81 mph so you're not limited to 50.
The downsides: it won't fit in the stock spare well and the tread is noisier at highway speed.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=94112&width=165/&ratio=80&diameter=17&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
Seriously, I have a spare for my Miata, but it doesn't even fit in the trunk. (Don't even ask about a full-size spare.)

I take it along on long trips (I live in the boondocks), and it rides on the passenger seat. I'm tempted to buy a luggage rack in part so that I could carry the spare...

Also, my father just bought an Audi Q7, and a full-size spare for it, but the spare is huge, and it eats up half the cargo hold.

My point is, having a spare that doesn't fit in the spare tire well is a PITA.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I plan to get a compact spare just to take on road trips. We drive in areas where there's no cell service and with my luck, I'd get a badly damaged tire at 9pm on a Friday night and the whole family would be stranded somewhere.
I added a compact spare to my Camaro which takes almost the whole trunk and on long road trips interstate, I take a full size in my Impala. The whole trend of not having spares sucks.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
My only concern would be that the tire used here (125/70R17) is 12.3% shorter than stock. That's quite a huge gap that could cause issues with the AWD system (mechanically and electrically). But I suppose if your goal is to limp a very short distance to safety, then that would work.
According to the owner's manual:
When using a compact spare tire, the AWD (if equipped), ABS, and Traction Control systems may engage until the spare tire is recognized by the vehicle
So I'm guessing the stability control has an algorithm that kinda figures out that when one wheel speed is a consistent percentage off the others, it must have a spare installed.

I might check out the local junkyards for 5x115 spares from other cars that are close to our 26" diameter. Unlike my previous ATS, a spare tire shouldn't take the majority of my available cargo space.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
Would it be possible to use a properly-sized donut spare, if it were deflated and mashed into the spare tire well? It's easy enough to carry a small compressor to fill it, as needed.

(And in my experience, most spare tires are underinflated, anyway, because people never check them.)

kriswinner

Buick Ownership
1993 Riviera, 2018 Regal TourX, 2019 Enclave
It's going in a bag in the trunk, most likely. I'm only bringing it on road trips and work trips into remote places.
After a 1600 mile road trip, I see the merit of this idea.
I think I'm going to put a compact spare in the spare tire well for emergency situations and have a spare that is an equal diameter for long road trips.

Stiles

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Preferred
Would it be possible to use a properly-sized donut spare, if it were deflated and mashed into the spare tire well? It's easy enough to carry a small compressor to fill it, as needed.

(And in my experience, most spare tires are underinflated, anyway, because people never check them.)
Nope, I tried that. Even dead flat with the valve core out the tire was too thick to fit into the well.