• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Trailering

milicz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
As I said before it has 0 towing capacity per owners manual.
Until they send me a correction to it, they could get off being sued or war. repairs. I would love to see you in court with your owners manual...

Our German built car is rated to tow 4,850 pounds. Whether you want to worry about warranty repairs is up to you.

DoUSail2

Buick Ownership
Her 2018 Regal TourX Essence, Frost, Convenience 1&2, S&S
I assume they said that because they knew the 1000 rating was bogus since it is much higher on the European cars. But then again, am I to assume the dealer knows what the heck they are talking about. Who knows what to believe. I'm towing a small sailboat on a small boat trailer. I suspect it is about 800 lbs and sometimes I'll toss my kayak on top of the boat so I should be less than 1000 regardless.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Our German built car is rated to tow 4,850 pounds. Whether you want to worry about warranty repairs is up to you.
[/URL]
Well since GM optional hitch is only good to 3500 lbs, that could limit your towing in Europe.
Seems rating is 1000 lbs max for TourX. If you have updated manual.

milicz

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Tour X
Well since GM optional hitch is only good to 3500 lbs, that could limit your towing in Europe.
Seems rating is 1000 lbs max for TourX. If you have updated manual.

Yes, an irrelevant rating based on nothing. The car can and was designed to tow 4,850 pounds with the right hitch. End of the day the car can tow 4k+ in the real world.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Yes, an irrelevant rating based on nothing. The car can and was designed to tow 4,850 pounds with the right hitch. End of the day the car can tow 4k+ in the real world.
Your right, could probably tow what Aztec I bought in 2002 with tow package option.... It could tow 3500 lbs.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
GM may have not wanted to deal with towing warranty related problems, who knows. But it's not towing capacity, it's stopping capacity as the EU market has regulations on how much weight can be towed without electrical assisted trailer brakes.

GM figured out that there is that special person out there in the US that will max out the weight and drive down hill in the Rockies without trailer brakes, get into a accident, start a lawsuit and claim it's GM'S fault because they said it could handle the weight LOL.

Take it for face value.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
GM may have not wanted to deal with towing warranty related problems, who knows. But it's not towing capacity, it's stopping capacity as the EU market has regulations on how much weight can be towed without electrical assisted trailer brakes.

GM figured out that there is that special person out there in the US that will max out the weight and drive down hill in the Rockies without trailer brakes, get into a accident, start a lawsuit and claim it's GM'S fault because they said it could handle the weight LOL.

Take it for face value.
Anyone towing more than say 1,500 lbs without trailer brakes with a TourX sized vehicle should qualify for a Darwin award.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

Take it for face value.
Electric trailer brakes are kind of a separate issue. If what your towing has brakes... no doubt you need on your 40 foot Aiirstream lightweight.
Could no doubt be added to TourX although probably not as easy as plugging into truck.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
You are correct, but you know they are right behind you trailing no brake with the Bobcat to the job site, down hill, in the snow, having a cup of coffee, while texting LMAO.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
You are correct, but you know they are right behind you trailing no brake with the Bobcat to the job site, down hill, in the snow, having a cup of coffee, while texting LMAO.
You forgot the 10 guys in back off the truck that could end up in your lap.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
I had Suburbans and all the trailer I used had electric brakes, can't see any other way to handle those types of loads. If check out the new bumper plugs on most newer full size trucks they are now including a separate port for a trailer backup camera, which means a lot of bicycles and garbage cans won't be getting run over LOL.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I had the dealer install the Buick accessories trailer hitch. It is made by Kurt. They told me when I picked it up that it is good up to 3500 lbs.

What are you guys doing for trailer lighting?

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
Keep in mind that in the EU, people expect to tow with cars; in the US, the manufacturers want to steer those who tow into trucks/SUVs because they are more profitable.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
First off, I have no intention to tow with my car.

That being said, is the hitch mentioned above the European Style Hitch, all one piece, always sticking out, or the American Style, Permanent hitch, but Removable Ball Mount and Removable Ball?

Just wondering.

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Huh?

Like there aren't hills in Europe? (Wrong.)

Or Europeans drive more slowly than we do? (Wrong again.)

If they can tow that much in Europe, then we can do it here...

The vehicle is mostly the same but the legal system is not.

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Huh?

Like there aren't hills in Europe? (Wrong.)

Or Europeans drive more slowly than we do? (Wrong again.)

If they can tow that much in Europe, then we can do it here...
US towing capacities are determined by the SAE J2807 towing test standard.

SAE J2807 Tow Tests - The Standard

This assumes that the manufacturer is looking to rate the vehicle for towing. Once they know the maximum capacity they can lower the value as they see fit for the application.

In the Insignia owners manual, speed when towing is limited to 50 mph unless you have sway control then it is 60 mph.

US towing capacity assumes traveling the posted speed limit.

For every 1000 meters increase in altitude, you have to decrease the Insignia capacity by 10%.

US towing capacity is certified for anywhere in the US at any altitude.

Attachments

• Insignia_Towing.JPG
    Insignia_Towing.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 7

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
After I contacted Buick through social media, showing them someone from Buick had stated the TourX had a 5000lb towing capacity, they apologized for the misinformation and said that it only has a 1000lb towing capacity. Take that for what it's worth I guess.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
In my travels through France, I see many SMALL cars registered in many EU countries towing large trailers. ("Camping Cars"). Not going fast, but towing just the same.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!