• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

What kind of oil are you using in your Regal turbo?

Jon17GS

NJ
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS
Valvoline SynPower full synthetic. I've used this on most of the life on my prior car (Ecotec) and changed every 5,000 miles. This will be the plan for the GS.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Changing the oil every 5000 miles is a waste of money since there is still a lot of life left in the oil. In addition to that, twice as much used oil is disposed of which pollutes the environment.

A 5000 mile oil change interval is a thing of the past because motor oils have advanced tremendously since then. There's a reason the oil life monitor was created for today's engines; because motor oil has been reformulated to last much longer today.

seafarer61

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS
Because I only put 5K a year on my car, my GS will receive Mobil 1 5w30 annually right at the dealership. Our condo commandos and HOAconstrictors won't allow me to change my oil in the lot so yeah...there's that. On a related note, my tuned, 210-hp Fiat Abarth I enjoyed for five years (zero issues during ownership) rocked Rotella T6, which also is a great oil for turbocharged vehicles.

pkgmsu2000

Contributing Member
Denver, CO
Buick Ownership
2014 Buick Regal GS
I prefer going with the Experts.
Ding ding ding we have a winner!!! The only way to know when YOU should change YOUR oil is to get it tested by these wonderful people at blackstone. Pay $25 for testing or pay $1,000’s after engine failure. Your call, chief. We all drive our cars differently and we all live in different areas and we don’t all drive the same amount of miles each year.

Blackstone Laboratories – Oil Analysis – Learn What's Going On In Your Engine

kgoebz

Ottawa ON
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I use Castrol Edge 5W30 every 5000km. We use Castrol at work for everything so it's easy. Dexos2 rated so meh. I change mine every 5000km as I do a lot of short trips with the car, and it's used more in the winter and doesn't always get up to operating temperature on my drive to and from work. Interestingly, the oil life monitor seems to agree with me because so far on my last oil change I've done 4000km and it's down to 27% already.

Malo83

Buick Newbie
Cent Cal
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T
Changing the oil every 5000 miles is a waste of money since there is still a lot of life left in the oil. In addition to that, twice as much used oil is disposed of which pollutes the environment.

A 5000 mile oil change interval is a thing of the past because motor oils have advanced tremendously since then. There's a reason the oil life monitor was created for today's engines; because motor oil has been reformulated to last much longer today.
A thing of the past? with turbos, direct injection, intake valve deposits, timing change wear, GM recalibrated the OLMs for shorter change intervals due to these concerns, sure the oil will last but the additives will break down the longer you keep it in the oil pan. No thanks i'll stick to my 5K intervals.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
My car is tuned and I drive it hard, but I change the oil when the oil life monitor gets below 10%. That ends up being around 7-8 thousand miles depending on the season. I have never had an internal engine part wear out and fail on any of my cars that utilize the oil life monitor.

I use full synthetic Dexos 2 oil and a high quality oil filter, so I'm confident the oil is lubricating and keeping the engine clean during that interval. Oh and by the way, the base stock of the oil and the additives both break down eventually, one doesn't outlast the other.

Malo83

Buick Newbie
Cent Cal
Buick Ownership
2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T
Oil is oil it doesn't break down it just gets dirty, the additives will break down way before the oil will hence the changing of your oil on a regular schedule, as you stated the oil and filter will keep things running as it should but people that run extended/annual oil changes are not doing the engines any favors, i'm sure your GS is a rocket ship but i prefer to keep my driving in check 🆒

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Not true, the base oil breaks down and looses it's viscosity and it's ability to lubricate properly. This is from the Amsoil website:

Viscosity loss – A lubricant’s viscosity is its most important property. Viscosity has a direct bearing on wear protection, and your engine is designed to operate best using a motor oil of a specific viscosity (e.g. 5W-30). The intense pressure the oil bears as it’s squeezed between moving parts, like the piston ring/cylinder wall interface, can tear apart, or shear, its molecular structure, leading to viscosity loss. Suddenly, the 5W-30 motor oil your engine was designed to use is now essentially a 5W-20 oil, and wear protection may be compromised.

Here is more about the base oil from their website:

Though all motor oils eventually deteriorate, synthetic oils last longer than conventional oils and deliver improved protection against wear and deposits. They’re formulated with base oils that are more resilient to oxidation and heat, while their additives also typically offer improved performance.

Oxidation – The interaction between oxygen molecules and motor oil molecules naturally leads to chemical breakdown. Just as oxygen causes a cut apple to brown or exposed metal to rust, it breaks down base oils and reduces motor oil’s effectiveness. Oxidation can lead to increased oil viscosity, which negatively affects energy efficiency. It also causes the formation of harmful deposits and sludge.

High heat – Today’s engines run hotter than ever before, with temperatures up to 235°F, and even higher if towing or hauling. The rate of oxidation for oil doubles for every 18°F increase in temperature.

nlacomb

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So is the consensus to use Amsoil? I'm torn between Amsoil and Mobile One at the moment. Also, do you all typically use the AC Delco PF64 filter? Is there a better one to use?