• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

2.0T LTG Performance Mods

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hi guys,

Since we were mentioned above here, I just wanted to drop a line and let everybody know we actually bought a TourX, and are working on our calibration product for it!

Cell phone "spy shot" of our development vehicle grabbing lunch. lol

The meat of the calibration work is done already, and we are just refining the drivability side of things. I can say with confidence that LTG + A8 + AWD + our tune is a total smile-inducing experience. I like to think of it as a DIY Regal GS Wagon and then some. :)

We've also incorporated our Performance AutoStop Mode ("PASM") with this product, since the car has AS.

Here's a quick video of our PASM in action:

When CC is disarmed, AutoStop ("AS") is disabled,and our performance tune is active. When CC is armed, AS is re-enabled and will turn off the engine if the criteria is correct for an AS event. Note that quickly switching between modes will not engage AS on-demand. The calibration respects the "cool down" time as well as all other parameters necessary for an AS event to occur. If PASM isn't desired, we can simply disable AS altogether!

We'll start a new thread in the Vendor section once the tune is available. Until then please feel free to PM us or message us via https://www.trifectaperformance.com/contact for more info!

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
When CC is disarmed, AutoStop ("AS") is disabled,and our performance tune is active. When CC is armed, AS is re-enabled and will turn off the engine if the criteria is correct for an AS event. Note that quickly switching between modes will not engage AS on-demand. The calibration respects the "cool down" time as well as all other parameters necessary for an AS event to occur. If PASM isn't desired, we can simply disable AS altogether!

Great news! I Like the tweaks :)

I've done some development with Comma.ai to get some self driving capabilities working on ACC optioned cars. I fear some of your tweaks might interfere with functionality created or utilized by the SW-GMLAN controls. Would it be possible to switch modes like this with some other button press? I believe it would also be best to hide this functionality a bit further to avoid dealer detection.

Thanks again for the work! Count me in for a tune when they come out :)

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
@Bimmer , yes! We can forego the PASM feature altogether and simply disable AS outright. The calibration also has available Driver Selectable Vehicle Modes ("DSVM"), which switches between the factory power/drivability profile and ours, also via the CC button. This is optional as well!

@hoys , we recommend flashing back to stock for dealer visits so that they can properly service your vehicle and install any updates. Taking the car in with the tune installed will prevent them from fully accessing the ECM since it is not the factory programming.

Its unknown whether our programming would interfere with aftermarket self driving tech, however the car will perform 100% like stock with the CC system armed, so I'd imagine that would suffice for your purposes. For what its worth, our performance calibrations do not interfere with any factory functionality, including Lane Keep Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control, which our TourX is equipped with.

We'll post another update soon!

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
... the car will perform 100% like stock with the CC system armed...

I agree with Hoys that having the cruise control cancel the tune (and vice versa) is less than ideal... I usually leave the cruise system "armed," so that I can set the cruise at will. Turning the cruise on/off all the time would be a bit of a PITA.

Couldn't you simply have an extra rocker switch somewhere?

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
I agree with Hoys that having the cruise control cancel the tune (and vice versa) is less than ideal... I usually leave the cruise system "armed," so that I can set the cruise at will. Turning the cruise on/off all the time would be a bit of a PITA.

Couldn't you simply have an extra rocker switch somewhere?

We can simply have the tune be "always on" if DSVM isn't desired. :)

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
Yeah I actually agree with you. There are plenty of people on the other side of the fence who like to have a means of making the car drive like stock though. Typically people who share the car with someone else.

That aside, what if we could do a "crazy mode" when TC is off?? Something really sporty, akin to a "Track Mode" where fuel economy is out the window, gears hang longer, etc.

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
Since we can listen for the arming state of the CC system, as well as the TC system, imagine this:

TF1: CC On = "Trifecta Mode" - More power than stock, relatively tame drivability. As many of our customers put it: "The way it should have driven from the factory"

TF2: CC Off = "Trifecta ++ Mode" - More power than stock, more sporty drivability. Suitable for most types of drivers, but maybe not non-enthusiasts.

TF3: CC On + TC Off = Same as TF1 but TC Off, for real world situations which require TC off.

TF4: CC Off + TC Off = Arms Full Boost Launch mode (builds boost from a stop - active when car is stopped, and both brake and accelerator pedals are to the floor), also engages a drivability profile that could be considered "twitchy" by some and "amazing" by others. Not something we would give to everybody, but something that could be requested.

Bimmer

3.8L Member
Humboldt County, CA; or Germany
Buick Ownership
Not yet...
There are plenty of people on the other side of the fence who like to have a means of making the car drive like stock though. Typically people who share the car with someone else.

That aside, what if we could do a "crazy mode" when TC is off?? Something really sporty, akin to a "Track Mode" where fuel economy is out the window, gears hang longer, etc.

1. Would there be a way to "key" the tune, so that it would be "on" with some keys, but off with others (like the detuned "valet" keys for supercars)?

I have a teenager who doesn't need any more horsepower...

2. "Crazy mode" would be super. (At my house, we call that "Dad-in-the-car-alone mode.")

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Since we can listen for the arming state of the CC system, as well as the TC system, imagine this:

TF1: CC On = "Trifecta Mode" - More power than stock, relatively tame drivability. As many of our customers put it: "The way it should have driven from the factory"

TF2: CC Off = "Trifecta ++ Mode" - More power than stock, more sporty drivability. Suitable for most types of drivers, but maybe not non-enthusiasts.

TF3: CC On + TC Off = Same as TF1 but TC Off, for real world situations which require TC off.

TF4: CC Off + TC Off = Arms Full Boost Launch mode (builds boost from a stop - active when car is stopped, and both brake and accelerator pedals are to the floor), also engages a drivability profile that could be considered "twitchy" by some and "amazing" by others. Not something we would give to everybody, but something that could be requested.

Yes to all of this!

Question: can you tie in different TF states to the key used? For example: Driver 1 key would load TF1 and Driver 2 key would load TF2. Maybe make it so the key would load whichever state was last used? This way, my wife wouldn't be getting into a car where I had TF4 on and forgot to switch it back...

Edit: Bimmer beat me to it.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Feel free to kick me here as I am reaching:

Are you able to see the state of the buttons in front of the shift lever that allow for things like LDW to be toggled? A super cool thing would be to utilize these. Turn off LDW, get some mode. Taking it a step further, if we installed an Opel part that had some of the additional buttons (Sport mode etc.) you could utilize these in an OEM fashion and the factory cal would (I suspect) never listen to them

Rb0891

Indiana
Feel free to kick me here as I am reaching:

Are you able to see the state of the buttons in front of the shift lever that allow for things like LDW to be toggled? A super cool thing would be to utilize these. Turn off LDW, get some mode. Taking it a step further, if we installed an Opel part that had some of the additional buttons (Sport mode etc.) you could utilize these in an OEM fashion and the factory cal would (I suspect) never listen to them
That would be awesome. Of course I am going to be in however contilled.

Jwmsa17

Buick Ownership
TourX
Coming from a Q50, I'd like 5 modes; Stock then the 4 modes you mention. Additionally, if you could make it function through a "sport" switch in one of the blanks ahead of the shift lever that would be perfect. I'd probably drive in Modes 1 or 2 (in my world they'd be 2 & 3) on my daily commute, but switch to Stock for long trips and better fuel economy.

TRIFECTA

Contributing Member
Authorized Vendor
Buick Ownership
Buick
Loving these suggestions! They key idea is a great one, although its probably not possible without being able to reprogram the BCM or some other ECU, since the ECM isn't aware of which key is in use.

Regarding the buttons, we actually did do this with our previous generation Regal GS, which had GS and Sport buttons:

We were able to apply DSVM to those buttons, but interest in it was very low, so it didn't make it to production (its something that would need to be ported to every operating system the regal used, of which there are MANY). In fact, 2014--2017 Regal 2.0T customers in general never asked us for DSVM, and many of our LHU customers would ask for it to be removed. Most guys just wanted performance all the time.

Retrofitting buttons from a higher trim COULD work (I wonder if Avenir Sportback has a Sport button?), but again other modules in the car would likely need to be reprogrammed in order to work in concert with the ECM as well.

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
Are you able to access/modify the systems that bias the power to the rear diff? I realize that under equal traction conditions up to 50% of power can be sent rearward, so when used in combination with different “driving modes” more spirited corner carving may be possible. There are multiple systems that function in unison to make the drift mode work in the RS, so would some form of adjustive bias be possible?

Maybe a multi position selector switch to adjust front/rear split like a faux active center diff?

Bald Regal

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX

Take my money!!! 💰

Get your turbo buick badge right here!