AWD Shuts Down @ Cold Start

08Bluesky

The Burgh
Encore
Been away from this post for a while…. (and thankfully, have yet to experience such)

But all in all… It’s still happening to folks?:banghead:

Sounds like we need more than the "We'll help contact your dealer" From Buick Customer Service

How bout getting the fix to the Dealers?:confused:

And please don’t get me wrong Customer Service (Jessica and all others that are on such team), for we do appreciated that you folks monitor and respond to these Forums. We are customers that do indeed rely on and need assistance from your service & interaction with our Dealers.

Last edited:

NormT

Turbo-4 power!
OH-IO
2018 TourX
Only happened once and never again. And I have 8,000 miles with some winter temps down to -13F. My tire pressures are within a couple tenths of a pound thanks to digital gage.

On a side the Trifecta tune with AWD is a goot to drive. It is so much better in the snow than my girlfriend's 2012 Forester.

Detroit, USA
Hi 08Bluesky!

We are always happy to assist. Although we are unable to provide technical advice, we rely heavily on our dealerships for this information. Please let me know if you need assistance at all!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Been away from this post for a while…. (and thankfully, have yet to experience such)

Sounds like we need more than the "We'll help contact your dealer" From Buick Customer Service

And please don’t get me wrong Customer Service (Jessica and all others that are on such team), for we do appreciated that you folks monitor and respond to these Forums. We are customers that do indeed rely on and need assistance from your service & interaction with our Dealers.

R&L's Encore

Buick AWD Encore

It seems to me that they need to do a recall on this issue and update the Rear Differential Control Module software......

CharlieInNEK

Buick Newbie
Buick
... From time to time when we start out, we get a chime and a message that the "AWD system is OFF." Often, but not always, this is just after backing the car up...
Well, good news at last (maybe;-)! We took our Encore, now 1 year old and ~20k miles, in to the dealer for an oil change last month, mentioned as usual our continuing concerns RE AWD shutdowns - and whaddaya know, they updated the software and told us the problem should be fixed!

Better yet, so far it seems to actually be fixed. At least the message hasn't occurred since the update.

So, maybe all's well that ends well. My only continuing concerns are:
1) That GM never actually acknowledged the problem, they just fixed it. They could have increased my confidence in them if they'd said they were working on it.

2) That a problem happened that was supposed to be logged in memory by the computer, but wasn't. GM bases their whole approach to service for many items on what's in that memory. So when something fails to get logged, they have no back up. Yet they don't seem to react when customers say things happened that didn't get logged.

Anyway, we're delighted they fixed the problem, and still very happy with the car.

jimt

Buick
Hi, i had the same problem with my 2013 starting last october. I had it to the dealer and after the 2nd visit there they reprogrammed real clutch assembly software. and GM told dealer if problem returns the rear clutch assembly would need to be replaced. Well at 3 months of winter and no repeat of AWD alarm it came back 3 times in 2 weeks, took it back to dealer and they ordered the necessary clutch assembly to be replaced. so i guess the morale of the story is there is truly a problem with this issue, i will keep you posted.

Detroit, USA
Hi CharlieInNEK,

I am happy to hear the concern has been resolved! I have documented your other concerns you mentioned within our database. We apologize for any confusion. Please let us know at any time if you need further assistance.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Well, good news at last (maybe;-)! We took our Encore, now 1 year old and ~20k miles, in to the dealer for an oil change last month, mentioned as usual our continuing concerns RE AWD shutdowns - and whaddaya know, they updated the software and told us the problem should be fixed!

Better yet, so far it seems to actually be fixed. At least the message hasn't occurred since the update.

So, maybe all's well that ends well. My only continuing concerns are:
1) That GM never actually acknowledged the problem, they just fixed it. They could have increased my confidence in them if they'd said they were working on it.

2) That a problem happened that was supposed to be logged in memory by the computer, but wasn't. GM bases their whole approach to service for many items on what's in that memory. So when something fails to get logged, they have no back up. Yet they don't seem to react when customers say things happened that didn't get logged.

Anyway, we're delighted they fixed the problem, and still very happy with the car.

Detroit, USA
Hi jimt,

Thank you for the update. I am sorry to hear that the issue returned! Please keep us posted on how the vehicle operates after the repair.

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

Hi, i had the same problem with my 2013 starting last october. I had it to the dealer and after the 2nd visit there they reprogrammed real clutch assembly software. and GM told dealer if problem returns the rear clutch assembly would need to be replaced. Well at 3 months of winter and no repeat of AWD alarm it came back 3 times in 2 weeks, took it back to dealer and they ordered the necessary clutch assembly to be replaced. so i guess the morale of the story is there is truly a problem with this issue, i will keep you posted.

Peco

Buick
This just happened to the wifes 13 En core with 5,526 miles on it. Was in the 60's today so I don't think cold weather had any thing to do with it. If I bring it to the deal (thats 30 miles away) they would give it the update?

jaystoy

Buick Newbie
Buick
This issue happened the 3rd time, so I literally printed this thread, took it to my dealer. They instantly knew what it was and "reprogrammed" the clutch something or other. My dealership is always great. Hope it has fixed the issue

almac1953

Buick Newbie
Castle Rock, Colorado
Buick Encore
My 2014 Encore with only 7600 miles started doing this today, and it was snowing enough to where I really needed the AWD. It would also not reset no matter how many times I restarted it. Living in Colorado I need this function to work, and may need to return the vehicle for a refund it not correctable. It was not a good day for it to stop.

IceMan2

East Central Indiana
2014 Buick Encore
Refund..?? Are you leasing...or do you mean using the lemon law..?? I think there is a process of taking it back to the dealer several times for the same thing before the lemon law applies.
IceMan2

Vhoward

Buick Newbie
Buick Encore Premium 2014
I have owned the Encore for 1 year. In that time I have received the AWD is off warning message 3 times, all were cold starts. Two of those times it was snowing out, one was a bright, sunny, cold day. The third time it happened (snow day) I tried shutting the car off/turning back on and received the message over and over. I had to get home so continued on slowly. Unfortunately, due to someone else's poor driving skills, I was involved in a 4 car accident with $15,000+ worth of damage! I was traveling downhill and trying to stop so I can't really say if the AWD being off had anything to do with it but it makes me wonder. I was very disappointed that this thread was started in 2013 and the problem still persists. I was at the dealership today for routine maintenance. I told them of this issue and it seems it was the first time they were hearing about it. They said they started the car many times but did not get the warning. Since it has only happened 3 times in a year I didn't think they would. They said they can't fix it if they don't know what's wrong. Seems to me that many people are having this issue and they should know about it or at least have read about it. I like the car very much but this is very disappointing. I have driven an AWD vehicle for many years (2003 Toyota RAV4) and have always been very happy with the performance. The Encore drives very well but this issue has me feeling very uncomfortable. I drive AWD for the snow, (New England), but my confidence in this car is lacking.

ParrotWhisperer

Buick Newbie
Buick
Glad but not glad to see that I am not the only one having this issue. Want to talk about frustrating? Bought a brand new one 2 weeks ago and its been doing it at least 50% of the time. Its been in the 70s and nothing specific seems to trigger it. Does it pulling forward or backward. Starting off in a flat smooth parking lot, or gravel driveway. Nothing seems to prevent or trigger it. Heading in to the dealership that's about 45 minutes away on Monday morning :mad:

Get your turbo buick badge right here!