• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Best tires for your Regal

Best replacement tire set you had already tried on your Regal?

• Total voters

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
How frequently do you drive for extended period in excess of 149 mph (V speed rating)?

Regardless, there is a substantial selection of tires with XL and W speed rating available in both sizes, so neither seems to be a good reason to choose one size over the other.

My understanding is that choosing a higher load-rated tire changes the air pressure requirements as well. A 99 load rating (1700lb/tire)--which seems to be standard for the OE size--would seem to cover car + 4 adults plus luggage and leave a decent margin. In fact, I'd wager that long before you got close to exceeding the tire's load rating you'd be bottoming out the suspension.
With higher load rating you could in theory lower tire pressures a little if desired to provide softer ride.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
More grip and load rating in theory longer tire life..
speedo reads about 1 mph less at 100
PS makes car look more bad ass like a sport wagon
Ok this might be a dumb question but I don't know a lot about wheels and tires...how does upgrading to a 255 fit the same wheel as a 235...? Does 0.7in really not make a difference when mounting to the wheel? I understand putting narrower tires on and stretching them (I think it's dumb but I get it), but larger ones?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Ok this might be a dumb question but I don't know a lot about wheels and tires...how does upgrading to a 255 fit the same wheel as a 235...? Does 0.7in really not make a difference when mounting to the wheel? I understand putting narrower tires on and stretching them (I think it's dumb but I get it), but larger ones?
You need to look at tire specs to see size of approved rim widths

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
You need to look at tire specs to see size of approved rim widths

I guess I learn something new every day! If only CrossClimate2s came in this size.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Not sure how much is related to the tires vs the AWD system, but drove to work today in a snowstorm and noticing again how the rear end wants to fly out on acceleration. Haven't experienced that in my other AWD vehicles before.
What kind of goodyears? and how much mileage you got? And is your driving a more aggressive routine or is it normal?

also if your tail end is kicking out I suggest checking your owners manual and seeing if you can put more weight back there, safely, assuming you could without compromising usage, because if you had some weight over the rear suspension, 80lb sand bag for example, and your car has anything ot say about PSI when towing or hauling(FOr 1 sand bag I would personally add a pound or 2 to the tires) because the weight over a more "asserted" contact patch would theroetically and hopefully mean your car is less prone to that. and for slowing down it will increase stop distance because of weight added but it should be easily balanced by the rear being able to brake more.

If your car is NOT new to you, then my suggestion otherwise is to have your throttle position sensor/throttle body "relearned" and your transmission adaptive shift learning to be reset as to allow your driving style to be learned. someone heavy on teh throttle, like me, would make a awd system in your car likely bias the rear if not just more "into" it as to not hesitate, sag, or feel sluggish. But you may be less spirited. The throttle thing is thesame concept. I just relearned the throttle and relearned the power steering on my gmas Jeep(jeep obv, but i suspect similar things exist on buickregal) Because idle was dipping too low and not much assist atlow speeds or stopped and the thing was like 3 seconds from stop to actual go from hitting the go go lever with my go-go brick.

seemed to make it go-go and stop dipping so bad in turning and also give more assist. But from my understanding, thats partly because of the absolute dogshit engineering FCA products are (not sorry if anyone here owns one) and the PS is just a ticking time bomb of ever increasing electrical demand over time.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
I guess I learn something new every day! If only CrossClimate2s came in this size.
235mm wide vs 255mm wide tire with the same aspect ratio and same diameter, for example, 235/70/17 vs 255/70/17 means the 235 tire is 20mm Narrower on the tread face and then the tire is also shorter than the otherwise same 70/17 because 70 is an aspect ratio and the larger your 255 is over your 235 when your 17 remains the same, you will be increasing the sidewall height at a non-mm amount but it can be calculated.

your car likely does NOT have the clearance for a wider tire by 20mm and however taller it would be.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
If you have your original tires, your sidewall has a designation called TPC that GM cars have which is Tire Performance Criteria
This explains at the linked time, its pretty cool. You will not do harm to find a tire that meets your TPC but you arent bound to only get one.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
235mm wide vs 255mm wide tire with the same aspect ratio and same diameter, for example, 235/70/17 vs 255/70/17 means the 235 tire is 20mm Narrower on the tread face and then the tire is also shorter than the otherwise same 70/17 because 70 is an aspect ratio and the larger your 255 is over your 235 when your 17 remains the same, you will be increasing the sidewall height at a non-mm amount but it can be calculated.

your car likely does NOT have the clearance for a wider tire by 20mm and however taller it would...
Depending on vehicle you can usually go to a +1 size
without clearance problems, if you increase width while going to a lower aspect with diameter close to original size. Have no issues on TourX with stock rims and will never use chains to have a issue with.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
If you have your original tires, your sidewall has a designation called TPC that GM cars have which is Tire Performance Criteria
This explains at the linked time, its pretty cool. You will not do harm to find a tire that meets your TPC but you arent bound to only get one.
I've always laughed at GM advertising this. I personally find every single stock TPC spec GM tire to be garbage with poor traction and treadwear. There are some OEM GM tires that I've driven on that may have worse traction then cheap no name brand tires.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I've always laughed at GM advertising this. I personally find every single stock TPC spec GM tire to be garbage with poor traction and treadwear. There are some OEM GM tires that I've driven on that may have worse traction then cheap no name brand tires.
the OEM tires are also worse usually than their "model" counterparts. like michellins but 15k and toast

as you said, the traction,

Thats every make tho. Hard to apples-apples. I think it comes down to where you live and how you use your car most of the time, the tires being made for those people, who are conincidentally not me or you
Snapchat-724878740.jpg
these are on my buick got them for half price. satisfactory for summer, tho they work "good" in snow, i find them unacceptable in snow, but I also use dedicated snow tires. Lol

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
What kind of goodyears? and how much mileage you got? And is your driving a more aggressive routine or is it normal?

also if your tail end is kicking out I suggest checking your owners manual and seeing if you can put more weight back there, safely, assuming you could without compromising usage, because if you had some weight over the rear suspension, 80lb sand bag for example, and your car has anything ot say about PSI when towing or hauling(FOr 1 sand bag I would personally add a pound or 2 to the tires) because the weight over a more "asserted" contact patch would theroetically and hopefully mean your car is less prone to that. and for slowing down it will increase stop distance because of weight added but it should be easily balanced by the rear being able to brake more.

If your car is NOT new to you, then my suggestion otherwise is to have your throttle position sensor/throttle body "relearned" and your transmission adaptive shift learning to be reset as to allow your driving style to be learned. someone heavy on teh throttle, like me, would make a awd system in your car likely bias the rear if not just more "into" it as to not hesitate, sag, or feel sluggish. But you may be less spirited. The throttle thing is thesame concept. I just relearned the throttle and relearned the power steering on my gmas Jeep(jeep obv, but i suspect similar things exist on buickregal) Because idle was dipping too low and not much assist atlow speeds or stopped and the thing was like 3 seconds from stop to actual go from hitting the go go lever with my go-go brick.
I believe they are Goodyear Eagle Sport all seasons. I drive fairly aggressive on dry pavement. Could possibly try the sand idea although I still get slip even with 2 passengers in the rear. Ultimately the solution is probably better tires.

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I would be careful with sand. I previously had a modified Legacy GT wagon and with aftermarket sways the rear end was VERY playful in the snow. As much as my friend's 300 SRT. Point is, I tried putting weight back there and found it did help move the point of rotation a little further out but it also was much harder to recover. My only explanation is once the weight started to swing, the extra 100lbs of momentum took more effort to pull back which wasn't always available in slippery conditions or narrow lanes. Ultimately I found the best thing for me to do was leave it alone, get some practice time in a local parking lot to better anticipate when it was going to happen and correct before it really rotated.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
I would be careful with sand. I previously had a modified Legacy GT wagon and with aftermarket sways the rear end was VERY playful in the snow. As much as my friend's 300 SRT. Point is, I tried putting weight back there and found it did help move the point of rotation a little further out but it also was much harder to recover. My only explanation is once the weight started to swing, the extra 100lbs of momentum took more effort to pull back which wasn't always available in slippery conditions or narrow lanes. Ultimately I found the best thing for me to do was leave it alone, get some practice time in a local parking lot to better anticipate when it was going to happen and correct before it really rotated.
Is that an AWD one you mention?

seems strange it would do that

I dont have AWD so fish tailing isnt a issue I encounter much
Snapchat-1838345684.jpg
(cooper evolution winter or something)

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
Couldn't be happier with plus size ultra performance all season Generals.
PS But then I like these OEM Bridgestones too but that may have somthing to do with the car having a stick.
How is wet traction with the Generals? I read a few reviews that mentioned they slip and slide when it rains. Do they feel mush-ier or sport-ier? Long-term MPG difference?

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Is that an AWD one you mention?

seems strange it would do that

I dont have AWD so fish tailing isnt a issue I encounter much
View attachment 35153
(cooper evolution winter or something)
Legacy GT was AWD, it was tuned with up,down pipes and full cat back so it was probably putting down around 275whp. SRT 300 is rear wheel drive with around 450hp stock

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
How is wet traction with the Generals? I read a few reviews that mentioned they slip and slide when it rains. Do they feel mush-ier or sport-ier? Long-term MPG difference?
I have not been driving TourX much, since been hunkered down since Covid BS started.... and just started using G8 as DD. Tires are very responsive, and the very limited time in rain and snow have been good. In Tire Rack test of ultra high performance AS tires they used them as the standard for other tires. Have not paid attention to MPG but the increased performance makes TourX feel like a sport wagon, no doubt the wider size helps with that.

Last edited:

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
I second the Yoko vote. That’s what I’m getting when my OEMs wear out, though if yours lasted 60k miles, it will be awhile for me to get there
OK, I hit a hole in the highway last night while returning from Madison WI after dropping the youngest off at college, and the right front tire now vibrates like crazy from 60-65mph. At 55 it’s barely noticeable. I swapped the passenger side tires and the vibration followed and is less noticeable, but it’s still there.

So I was about to pull the trigger on the Yokos when the wife wanted to make sure the new tires were as smooth and quiet as what we had. I started digging around on the TireRack site and am now leaning towards Pirelli P7 all season plus 2, plus 3, or Bridgestone Turanza quiettrack based purely on the quietness ratings and long life. Anyone like or hate either of these?

cleeland

STL MO
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
OK, I hit a hole in the highway last night while returning from Madison WI after dropping the youngest off at college, and the right front tire now vibrates like crazy from 60-65mph. At 55 it’s barely noticeable. I swapped the passenger side tires and the vibration followed and is less noticeable, but it’s still there.

So I was about to pull the trigger on the Yokos when the wife wanted to make sure the new tires were as smooth and quiet as what we had. I started digging around on the TireRack site and am now leaning towards Pirelli P7 all season plus 2, plus 3, or Bridgestone Turanza quiettrack based purely on the quietness ratings and long life. Anyone like or hate either of these?
Bridgestone Turanza quiettrack got installed in June on my MIL's lexus. Quiet and smooth are what she wants, and she's been very happy with them.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners