• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Best tires for your Regal

Best replacement tire set you had already tried on your Regal?

• Total voters

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
My daughter’s Subaru Crosstrek suffers from the same thing. If a tire’s sidewall gets ruined, you really need to get 4 new tires.
Not necessarily, it is possible to get new tire shaved to match tread depth, thus diameter, of the other 3. It's simply a financial calculation if it's worth sacraficing some life from a new tire to avoid buying all 4 new tires.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
Not necessarily, it is possible to get new tire shaved to match tread depth, thus diameter, of the other 3. It's simply a financial calculation if it's worth sacraficing some life from a new tire to avoid buying all 4 new tires.
That’s the first I’ve heard of this. Do all tire shops have the ability to do this or do I have to go to some specialty place?

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
That’s the first I’ve heard of this. Do all tire shops have the ability to do this or do I have to go to some specialty place?
I am sldo wondering how that works.
Do they just put sandpaper on a dyno for 1 tyre?

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I am sldo wondering how that works.
Do they just put sandpaper on a dyno for 1 tyre?
i searched YouTube and found several videos where they show I how it works. The one I watched had a special contraption that is a cross between a tire balancer and a dremel cutting tool where they spin the tire as well as slide the cutter back and forth.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
i searched YouTube and found several videos where they show I how it works. The one I watched had a special contraption that is a cross between a tire balancer and a dremel cutting tool where they spin the tire as well as slide the cutter back and forth.
I would not have a tire physically machined down... thats a waste...
I would say age is going to be important here. If hte other tires are over a year old, I wouldnt do that

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I would not have a tire physically machined down... thats a waste...

I would say age is going to be important here. If hte other tires are over a year old, I wouldnt do that
Buying 4 new tires when you only need 1 seems like a waste of money to me. If it meant getting another 30K miles out of the set to buy 1 and have to shave it to keep the AWD system happy I would see it being worthwhile.

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Supercharged) , 1977 Buick Electra Limited (350 SBB)
Buying 4 new tires when you only need 1 seems like a waste of money to me. If it meant getting another 30K miles out of the set to buy 1 and have to shave it to keep the AWD system happy I would see it being worthwhile.
No im saying I wouldnt put 3 and 1 tire in a combo if one of them is a fresh sticky tire and the others arent.
The characteristics will be quite dramatic. and if you have them on a vehicle with large sidewall(so moore so older cars) I could see some vibration problems if its severe enough. driving habits and where you park and where you live etc would make this go from the extreme like what I am saying and in wisconsin, while it may be fine depending on how you live/where etc.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
No im saying I wouldnt put 3 and 1 tire in a combo if one of them is a fresh sticky tire and the others arent.
The characteristics will be quite dramatic. and if you have them on a vehicle with large sidewall(so moore so older cars) I could see some vibration problems if its severe enough. driving habits and where you park and where you live etc would make this go from the extreme like what I am saying and in wisconsin, while it may be fine depending on how you live/where etc.
The alternative is slapping on a new tire with 3 old ones and potentially ruining your AWD system. my daughter had to purchase 4 new tires for her Subaru Crosstrek less than a year after getting new tires when she popped a hole in the sidewall. That was before we knew that shaving was possible.

I guess if you are driving on the edge of the performance of the tire, taking turns at high speeds, then having one tire stickier than the others might affect you, but most of us don’t drive like a race car driver and won’t notice the difference.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

BuickGirlFromMars

Buick Ownership
The alternative is slapping on a new tire with 3 old ones and potentially ruining your AWD system. my daughter had to purchase 4 new tires for her Subaru Crosstrek less than a year after getting new tires when she popped a hole in the sidewall. That was before we knew that shaving was possible.

I guess if you are driving on the edge of the performance of the tire, taking turns at high speeds, then having one tire stickier than the others might affect you, but most of us don’t drive like a race car driver and won’t notice the difference.
well, no, the alternative is you would be fucked and need 4 tires.. in the event its not a wise thing to do. best judgement should be utilized based on tire condition as well as prices and options.
tire.jpg
this was my moms tire not more than like a month or 2 after new michellins. 18 inch wheels for an equinox. Dont know how but all I know is that sucks, michellin or whoever the tires were bought from paid for 90% of 4 new ones and they kept the 3 and were able to sell them for a good amount. Dont know why that wasnt repairable, by all looks a plug and a patch should have been able to handle it but who knows

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
well, no, the alternative is you would be fucked and need 4 tires.. in the event its not a wise thing to do. best judgement should be utilized based on tire condition as well as prices and options.
View attachment 34724
this was my moms tire not more than like a month or 2 after new michellins. 18 inch wheels for an equinox. Dont know how but all I know is that sucks, michellin or whoever the tires were bought from paid for 90% of 4 new ones and they kept the 3 and were able to sell them for a good amount. Dont know why that wasnt repairable, by all looks a plug and a patch should have been able to handle it but who knows
I think if it was a mail, a plug would have worked fine, but this looks to be a slit that would have been difficult to plug. Depending on how many miles your mom put on the car, if the 2 months were had only a few k miles, I would have just put a new tire on rather than purchased 4.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
Not sure how much is related to the tires vs the AWD system, but drove to work today in a snowstorm and noticing again how the rear end wants to fly out on acceleration. Haven't experienced that in my other AWD vehicles before.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
Not sure how much is related to the tires vs the AWD system, but drove to work today in a snowstorm and noticing again how the rear end wants to fly out on acceleration. Haven't experienced that in my other AWD vehicles before.
Sadly the snow missed me in east central IL so I cannot try this for myself. I’ve never owned an AWD vehicle before,

I think I read elsewhere in this forum that our Regals put a bit more torque to the rears and the torque vectoring (which lets the car adjust rotation between the rear wheels) gives is fun spirited driving on dry pavement. maybe that’s what you’re feeling when on snow. Too bad we don’t have normal, sport, eco and snow modes. That would have been nice.

bollox74

Savannah, GA
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I was living in Minneapolis for the first two winters I had the TourX & I experienced this in the snow in Minnesota - a little tail happy when accelerating from a stoplight. Just enough to cause a little pucker if there's a car next to you. Can't say if it was the AWD or the crap Conti's that didn't stick in the cold temps. Once I got another set of wheels with Bilzzak snow tires the TourX was glued to the road.

RegalMN

Minnesota
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal Sportback Essence
I was living in Minneapolis for the first two winters I had the TourX & I experienced this in the snow in Minnesota - a little tail happy when accelerating from a stoplight. Just enough to cause a little pucker if there's a car next to you. Can't say if it was the AWD or the crap Conti's that didn't stick in the cold temps. Once I got another set of wheels with Bilzzak snow tires the TourX was glued to the road.
I am thinking my next tires will be the Cross Climates. Can't justify spending the money yet as my car came with almost new Goodyear's though. If I'm feeling like splurging, maybe I will for next winter.

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Alright team, I guess it's my turn to hit this thread for suggestions. My OEM foam stuffed tires are approaching their wear limit at almost 61k miles, which is a great lifetime. The foam is also separating, causing some wild vibrations at highway speeds. so it's time. I've created a table of everyone's suggestions in this thread, and will tweak it a bit before I start a new thread with it. But for now, here's what I think my options are, based on this thread:

Continental ProContact TX
Continental PureContact LS
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4
Yokohama AVID Ascent GT
BF Goodrich G-Force Comp2 A/S+
maybe Vrediesteins? no one seems to have meaningful data on these, but they're interesting on paper.

My priorities are fuel economy, comfort/quiet, and treadwear. Snow/wet handling matters, but I'm not looking for something that can eat through a snow storm. I live Des Moines, Iowa, so we get snow but it's never been to the point where I wish I had winters. Lol if the snow is bad enough, I just won't drive. My daily commute is less than 10 miles round trip. I enjoy spirited driving, but not being able to whip around corners isn't a deal breaker for me. Ideally, I'd like my tires to last at least 45k miles.

Based on my priorities, do y'all think I'm on the right track with those options?

Last edited:

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
Alright team, I guess it's my turn to hit this thread for suggestions. My OEM foam stuffed tires are approaching their wear limit at almost 61k miles, which is a great lifetime. The foam is also separating, causing some wild vibrations at highway speeds. so it's time. I've created a table of everyone's suggestions in this thread, and will tweak it a bit before I start a new thread with it. But for now, here's what I think my options are, based on this thread:

Continental ProContact TX
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4
Yokohama AVID Ascent GT
maybe Vrediesteins? no one seems to have meaningful data on these, but they're interesting on paper.

My priorities are fuel economy, comfort/quiet, and treadwear. Snow/wet handling matters, but I'm not looking for something that can eat through a snow storm. I live Des Moines, Iowa, so we get snow but it's never been to the point where I wish I had winters. Lol if the snow is bad enough, I just won't drive. My daily commute is less than 10 miles round trip. I enjoy spirited driving, but not being able to whip around corners isn't a deal breaker for me. Ideally, I'd like my tires to last at least 45k miles.

Based on my priorities, do y'all think I'm on the right track with those options?
Any reason you aren't considering the Michelin CrossClimate 2s? I have a set and love them. They are well worth the premium. My next vote would the the Avid Ascend GTs as it sounds like you are looking for longevity and some snow traction over performance. Michelin Pilots are great tires but I don't think you are likely to get 45k miles on them.

Iowa
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Any reason you aren't considering the Michelin CrossClimate 2s? I have a set and love them. They are well worth the premium. My next vote would the the Avid Ascend GTs as it sounds like you are looking for longevity and some snow traction over performance. Michelin Pilots are great tires but I don't think you are likely to get 45k miles on them.
Thanks for the reply - My previous vehicle had pilots and I also was very unhappy with the wear on them, but that vehicle also wore through another set from a different brand that I can't remember.

I'm not against the CrossClimate2s, in fact Costco currently has a promotion on them. There's been mixed observations on mileage penalties for those, and I just don't know if I deal with driving in snow enough to justify the premium and reduced mileage because of them. But the Costco promotion might be juicy enough for me to hit it.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!
Protect your vehicle from code scanners