biggest complaint about your LaCrosse

pandad62

Buick Newbie
Long Beach, Ca.
Buick Ownership
08 Lacrosse CXL
I am beginning to dislike everything about my 08 La Crosse CXL at this point. I cannot even keep it out of the shop long enough to trade it in. This car has become a real money pit. I recently had the cat replaced at 118000 miles. Just got it smogged and now I'm getting a P0842 code. While I was trying to get the cat replaced I had overheating issues which cos me $900.00 to have a leaky timing cover replaced. What has happened to GM quality.

pandad62

Buick Newbie
Long Beach, Ca.
Buick Ownership
08 Lacrosse CXL
I am beginning to dislike everything about my 08 La Crosse CXL at this point. I cannot even keep it out of the shop long enough to trade it in. This car has become a real money pit. I recently had the cat replaced at 118000 miles. Just got it smogged and now I'm getting a P0842 code. While I was trying to get the cat replaced I had overheating issues which cos me $900.00 to have a leaky timing cover replaced. What has happened to GM quality.

KB2KVA

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I have a 2014 La Crosse. Bought in the fall of 2016. I hate the little arrows etc. that you have to press to check tire pressure, gas mpg etc. I read and re-read the manual on this and still can't do most of what can be done.

EDSELRANGER

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
So far, I'm pretty happy with my '15 LaCrosse. Not too much (besides the Adaptive Cruise Control) that I don't like about it.
One thing that really annoys me though is a recurring message on the touchscreen. The one that explains how dangerous it is to drive with your eyes off the road. It forces you to take your eyes off the road to acknowledge that you got the message. Got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Too much gadgetry never to be used even, worse than texting and driving. Have to really concentrate on the roads and stop pressing the "what is this for?" buttons. Actually completely stopped using cell phone at all when I retired, it's wonderful.

PurpleHaze

3.9L Member :)
Lawrencvile, Ga
Buick Ownership
Buick
New complaint; complicated front license plate holder installation.
I had to rivet the OEM front license plate holder to the bumper. Thank goodness I had a rivet tool around the house.
The good news is that the OEM license plate holder looks good on my Lacrosse.:)

Last edited:

Crestwood

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Essence
I bought my 2017 Lacrosse Essence about 2 weeks ago, so I'm still in the initial phase of forming opinions. The car has less than 3000 miles on it, so it's still essentially new. That said, here are the things that I somewhat dislike:
1. I wish the center console was less wide and was lower. It takes up too much room and makes the foot well cramped.
2. The stop/start function can't be defeated by the driver (corrected in 2018 I understand).
3. Roof line a bit low for taller people in rear seats.
4. The only "real" gripe I have is about the gear shift. The layout design is confusing and off-putting, particularly for us older buyers. I drove my father's 1953 Special during my high school years, and during the mid-1960's I owned a Century convertible, so it pains me to "kvetch" about the modern Buick.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
Ar this point it's gotta be the center console slow close feature. Everytime I open compartment have to put guides back in tracks, seem to pull right out. If I can remember to lift easy it's somewhat OK.

As Purple Haze mentions too about ft. Plate holder. Seems a bit flimsy on bumper fascia and then plate has slots to slide it up into (2016 anyways, way too snug). Think he just traded also.

Last edited:

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
4. The only "real" gripe I have is about the gear shift. The layout design is confusing and off-putting, particularly for us older buyers.
Calm down pops! :p

What I've come to realize about the shift selector (my first time having one of these newfangled contraptions as well) is that the gear selector is a toggling device. We're used to sliding into gear and the selector staying there, whereas the new design is more akin to an "up/down" button on a computer keyboard, where you're toggling to the gear (not physically putting it into gear). Think virtually instead of literally and you'll come to realize it's...

1) Not really that complicated. Look at the diagram on the shifter. Comprehend it.
2) Saves a bunch of space (I love the center storage area below this creates).
3) Old dogs don't learn new tricks very well, but they do eventually learn.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
It's a problem lmao. Always getting the 6 speed and auto mixed up. A killer when I go from drive and speed shift into reverse. Then I'm pushing as hard as I can on the brake pedal at 50mph thinking it's the clutch, heel and toe shifting (kidding but yup, many years ago)👀

roadkilljohn

Buick Newbie
Toronto
Buick Ownership
Buick Lacrosse 2.4 Eco
Please note! If you have a complaint that you NEED HELP with - please CLICK HERE to start a new topic. Right here we're just having a discussion about complaints. If you need assistance, please click here to create a new topic. Thank you!

What is the biggest complaint you have of your LaCrosse? I know we all love these cars, I'm just curious to see if there is a pattern.

I for one cant stand that i have nowhere to put my left foot when driving. I'm in a very awkward position, that I will get used to eventually. But the wheelwell really makes it difficult to get truly comfortable. I'm always trying to figure out what to do with my left foot, as I only drive with my right foot.

I'm interested to hear your pet peeves.

I think there is an area on the left side you can rest your left foot. i always do that or i just rest my foot close to my seat. sometime i even have my feet tug underneath my right leg. that might be a bit unsafe but i do that for long haul driving.

roadkilljohn

Buick Newbie
Toronto
Buick Ownership
Buick Lacrosse 2.4 Eco
i drive a 2012 lacrosse. the headroom for the front seat is really limited. i'm 6 foot . not an ultra tall guy but i found that my hair keep brushing the roof of the car. and if i sit stright up the roof just pushing down my head. I found it unacceptable for such a big car.

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
i drive a 2012 lacrosse. the headroom for the front seat is really limited. i'm 6 foot . not an ultra tall guy but i found that my hair keep brushing the roof of the car. and if i sit stright up the roof just pushing down my head. I found it unacceptable for such a big car.
I'm 6' 3" and not experiencing this in my '17. I've also driven the prior generation as a loaner, and didn't have an issue with that model either. I suspect you have your seat height up, maybe you naturally want a higher position but that of course pushes your head into the ceiling. Maybe try lowering the seat a few click and see if it improves, perhaps only sacrificing a tiny bit of the visibility of the road in front of you (if any change is even noticed).

stoopid

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
Friend recently entered the market for a used vehicle. He had about $5000 to spend. He likes GM products but I warned him that pre-bailout GM was in trouble for a reason - their cars weren't very good!

The 2008 model is designed and built by old GM (your model was first being produced in 2005). Old GM bad, new GM good.

You picked a good car maker, but wrong model year(s).

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
It's a common issue w/ the 2011 Radio Head Unit. You can swap out the head unit to 2013 UHQ. Look up UHQ upgrade. You can pick up a used Head Unit from the recycler, re-program the VIN, and then swap out the head unit, as well as the control pad. (you can use the same LCD). And a quick trip to the dealer to reflash the BCM(I think? to tell the car that you have a new control pad.)

Hello Everyone ,
I have a 2011 LaCrosse CXS and my question is that my touch screen will not keep the correct time (have reset it every time) and that the screen go's black for 30 sec when backing up.I have purchased another display (thinking this would solve my problem..not) so,do I need to purchase the den or can I up grade my 2011 to a 2013 touch screen ..I need help:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

tack000

Toronto, Canada
Buick Ownership
LaCrosse 2012
I used to hate it when I first got the car initially. I drove the car in manual tiptronic mode for the first 6 months. And then after 5+ years, I don't bother any more. Now, I'm used to it.

You have the manual shift feature. If you don't like the automatic shifting (I hate the high RPM shift as well), you have other options.
My previous car was '01 Monte and I modified so that the shifting was quicker and crisp/sharp. With LaCrosse, I don't bother...
The super high cost to upgrade the navigation to have the latest info. $180 bucks!
I really like our 2012 Lacrosse Touring however, I really hate the high RPM's when the car shifts through the first three gears.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.