• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Black intellilink screen

Kaynoon

Buick Ownership
Buick Verano 2013
My Buick Verano 2013, 34, 000 miles... all was working well (radio, screen etc) get in the car this morning...screen is black and nothing! Try turning on and off nothing... what do I do?

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Step 1. Check Fuses.
Owners Manual: Section 10-30 Vehicle Care, Page-273
Instrument Panel Fuse Block:
Located in passenger compartment, driver side, lower left of steering column. (See Page 273 for location).
Check Fuse #'s 4, 5, and 18, and maybe some others.... (See page 274 for fuse identification/location).
Sometimes it can be difficult to tell if a fuse is blown or defective.
If your not sure, then replace it. They're cheap.

If the fuses are ok....

Step 2. Reboot the car....
Disconnect the Negative (Black) cable from the car battery.
Wait a few minutes (10 - 15).
Hook Negative battery cable back up.
Cross-Fingers.
Start Car.
Hopefully the screen comes back to life.

If that doesn't work, the car will probably need to be checked to see if it is throwing any error codes.
Hopefully you will get some codes that will indicate what the problem is.

If not.... then your probably going to have to take it to a repair shop or a dealership.
I would be more inclined to take it to a dealership, unless you know of a reputable independent shop that is good with electrical gremlins.

And the saga of dying Infotainment Screens continues...
I will avoid going into my rant on how I really, really dislike LCD control/infotainment screens in ALL cars!!

This makes me nervous, as I also have a 2013 with similar miles.

Good Luck and let us know how you fare...

Kaynoon

Buick Ownership
Buick Verano 2013
Well, as many had suggested, I got back in my car at the end of the day... no problems! Radio worked like there was never an issue!!! I'm happy, but still will wonder if it could happen again, for good!!! Fingers crossed!

g_51445

I have a 2017 regal with 16,000 miles and I turned my car on to a black screen. The radio was on but nothing else functioned. I turned my car off and took my kids into day care, turned on the car to the same black screen. Then 5 minutes later my screen just turned on. I’m hoping this doesn’t happen again.

msmith1129

Buick Ownership
2015 Buick Verono
Just purchased a 2015 Buick Verono with 30,000 miles. Yesterday my screen went black and it will not come back on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Other than what's been listed in the other above posts, the only other option is to Google "Black intellilink screen" and follow the addtional suggestions. If none of those resources work it's probably off to the dealer as it may need a software update or its a hardware problem.

Mgoodacre

Buick Ownership
2013 verano
I have a 2013 Buick Verano. In July of this year I connected my new Google pixel XL phone. The radio froze and my phone call kept switching back and forth from my Bluetooth to my phone. Every day after that the radio screen was freezing and the phone wouldn't connect. It would freeze for 15 minutes to an hour and when I would shut the car off it would reset its self and be fine. It is now at the point none of the radio buttons work, The radio still plays music but i am unable to change the channel, turn the volume up or down/ turn the radio off and my back up camera doesn't come on. I have check all fuses, tried to disconnect the battery and taken the car to the dealer. The dealer told me they do not know what is wrong with it and all they can do is order a new radio for $1500 as it is not covered by the warranty. I read on another form this same issue happening and it ended being that the phone wasn't compatible with Buicks system. Also on the same day the radio started acting up my check airbag light came on. I did receive a notice that it is faulty and needs to be changed. i took it to the dealer and they wanted $150 to change it even with the paperwork from Buick. needless to say the extended coverage expired and the airbag light is still on and i have a non functioning radio. I have called Buick and they are unwilling to pay to replace the airbag sensor. Will never buy a Buick again. Horrible customer service and really crappy cars! My advise Steer clear of Buick!

Ianeugene1982

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal Turbo 2 Premium
My 2012 Regal turbo 2 did the same. Screen went blank over 2 years ago. Delaership wouldn't do anything because I was barely over the 4 year warranty and 40 thousand miles. I took it to another dealer and they said it would cost me 500 just to diagnose it. I replaced the screen with no luck. Love the car but I am disappointed in not having a radio for over 2 years on a 20 thousand dollar car grrrrr

James Merkel

Buick Ownership
2017 Encore
2017 BUICK ENCORE SCREEN WENT DARK TOOK TO DEALER AND LEFT IT RUNNING THEY SAW IT BLANK SAID IT WAS NOT RIGHT WROTE IT UP . THE PORTER TURNED OFF CAR AND IT RESET THE SCREEN CAME BACK ON. I WAS HOPING TO HAVE THEM LOOK AT IT WHEN IT WAS STILL BLANK . ONLY 14 months old 4,100 miles on it. I hate to be told nothing wrong now. Cars should last longer than this before problems start. Anyone else have this happen and what the fix was?
UPDATE 3 hours later
Service could not replicate the problem all all things checked OK. Too bad as it was running when I took it in. I sure hope it doesn’t go out.

Last edited:

KevinJ

Contributing Member
Ohio
Buick Ownership
2013 Verano Premium (2.0T, AT)
Anyone else have this happen and what the fix was?
Not personally, but this seems to be an issue that is occurring more often.
Starts out intermittent but when it goes and doesn't come back it seems that a screen replacement is necessary.
Hopefully it occurs while still under warranty. If not, it's a pricey fix.

Gibson

Buick Ownership
2017 Envision
I have had the same problem. It has happened as other's describe with the screen just going black on my 2017 Envision . It has happened 4-5 times in the last year. The dealer also said they need to see it when it happen's to troubleshoot it as they hadn't heard of this happening. Seems like they lied or out of touch. it happened twice last week and I am not accepting the dealer's answer. I asked for the name of the Buick Area Manager and was told I had to call the factory as there wasn't an area manager. Wouldn't even offer a phone number. Unacceptable. They have had the car for one day and are now contacting Buick factory to do an upgrade, The service guy at the DGDG dealer has no empathy and hears but doesn't listen. Not sure if all Buick dealer's are like this. I prepaid the maintenance so I may be stuck staying here.

G-833991

I'm jumping on board! This morning car won't started and I had to get a jump but the screen is out. It's just black and no radio or nothing! It's a 2016 Verano.

G-803192

My 2013 Buick Encore screen went black with no radio and backup camera not working. Took to Buick Dealer and have spent $230 dollars on labor with no fix found. They are now looking to replace it in it entirety that is costing me $1000 for a new one plus the additional labor. They ordered a new one and they have now come back and said it would not connect so they have to order another and try again. I'm really disgusted by all that has transpired and the other threads I see that there are known issues with no explanation or clear fixes or recalls. I'm very unhappy and frustrated.
In addition I found paint chipping off my side view mirror. Of all the vehicles I have owned I have never had this issue. My car is in mint condition otherwise.
Going to trade this car as soon as possible before things get any worse.

Robert Donathan

Buick Ownership
2012 Verano
The radio in my wife's 2012 Buick Verano stopped working about a year-and-a-half ago after going out intermittently for 6 months before that. The Buick dealer said it needed to be replaced and wanted $2,000 to do so. I wrote to the CEO of General Motors requesting that they replace the radio as it was obvious that it was defective and many others had a similar problem. GM basically told me the flake off in and did nothing. I recently did a search on eBay and found United Radio in Syracuse New York who repairs all types of radios. I called and gave them the model number of our radio and then sent it to them, they repaired it and overnighted it back to us. They had to replace a control module and the cost was $425. Would suggest that anyone with a similar problem out of warranty forget about General Motors and have it repaired by this firm.

JoMess

Buick Ownership
Regal
2018 Buick Regal purchased brand new in March 2019. Currently only has 10k miles. Screen is working but the radio won’t play. I AM FURIOUS!! This car is brand new, and based on previous posts this is obviously a problem with Buick. The dealer can’t look at it till Monday and I am on FIRE right now. Buick may have just lost a loyal customer.

Tshackles

Buick Ownership
Encore
Well, as many had suggested, I got back in my car at the end of the day... no problems! Radio worked like there was never an issue!!! I'm happy, but still will wonder if it could happen again, for good!!! Fingers crossed!
THis happened to me now totally out and took I. Told was screen then when they replaced nope it’s the radio connection but have to replace the entire radio that only is made by them $1400 after looking on here is is a big issue for them and wait for it it’s on backorder

G-572523

My son and I both have 2018 Encores they too have had the information screens black out with the dash screen also going dark! When it did come back on I checked in Setting the software Update if any. Can't find if any were issued on line. Seem to be a software glitch. It could even be a voltage spike on the +5 Volt on the logic of the computer? We will never get an answer from GM.
JMS