• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Do you use regular or premium? LTG engine.

Do you use regular or premium? If you switched from one to the other. Did you feel any difference?

• Premium

Votes: 57 87.7%
  • Regular

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Mid grade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
When I mentioned "as an engineer", I meant it as a mindset.
We always calculate for worst case scenario and do the risk assessment.
My master degree is not for engine systems, I must admit.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Since it’s been hot here the last couple weeks I have been using 93E10 or 91E0 and my mileage has been fantastic. The car really likes the heat! Even with the air on nearly constantly my last tanks have been 32.5, 32.5, 33.5, and 34.2.

Dark Moon (Buick Regal TourX) | Fuelly

Ctrcbob

Regal Tour-X
I only use Shell Premium. Get money off because I use
"T-Mobile Tuesday" app.

For past couple years, I was getting an extra 10 cents per gallon plus Shell's 5 cents off, (total of 15 cents off) but that changed about a month ago. Now with T-Mobile Tuesday app, for the past month, I've been getting an additional 25 cents off, plus Shell's 5 cents, for 30 cents off on Tuesdays. This past month, I've not only filled my cars, I've also filled all my emergency gas cans for my generator for when the power goes out next hurricane.

Although this has nothing to do with the above, for some reason, my car when cold, now starts immediately in the morning. In the past, it would take four to six seconds of cranking in the morning before the first start. Love it. (Perhaps Shell changed their Florida formula?)

As for mpg, around town is always different, depending on traffic, if I catch the lights, etc;
That being said, two weeks ago, I took my wife (cabin fever) for a ride up to Ocala, from my Mt. Dora home. Took back roads, through the Ocala National Forrest. Took my time. Told her we are taking a motorcycle ride using the car.
Got 40.0 mpg going there. Drove around Silver Springs, (using gas) then returned home on a different back road through the forest.
For the whole tide, got 38.x mpg.
Don't know if it was because I took my time or because Shell Premium has a different summer formula.

As I've said before, I use (Shell) Premium for the cleaners, not the octane. If on a trip, and not a Tuesday, I'll sometimes use Chevron or Mobil Premium. Never "Generic" gas.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
Shell 93 octane FTW. But I will even put 87 in it if I know I'm just gonna burn it up on a freeway trip.

mike69440

2018 TourX Essence
I only use Shell Premium. Get money off because I use
"T-Mobile Tuesday" app.

For past couple years, I was getting an extra 10 cents per gallon plus Shell's 5 cents off, (total of 15 cents off) but that changed about a month ago. Now with T-Mobile Tuesday app, for the past month, I've been getting an additional 25 cents off, plus Shell's 5 cents, for 30 cents off on Tuesdays. This past month, I've not only filled my cars, I've also filled all my emergency gas cans for my generator for when the power goes out next hurricane.

Although this has nothing to do with the above, for some reason, my car when cold, now starts immediately in the morning. In the past, it would take four to six seconds of cranking in the morning before the first start. Love it. (Perhaps Shell changed their Florida formula?)

As for mpg, around town is always different, depending on traffic, if I catch the lights, etc;
That being said, two weeks ago, I took my wife (cabin fever) for a ride up to Ocala, from my Mt. Dora home. Took back roads, through the Ocala National Forrest. Took my time. Told her we are taking a motorcycle ride using the car.
Got 40.0 mpg going there. Drove around Silver Springs, (using gas) then returned home on a different back road through the forest.
For the whole tide, got 38.x mpg.
Don't know if it was because I took my time or because Shell Premium has a different summer formula.

As I've said before, I use (Shell) Premium for the cleaners, not the octane. If on a trip, and not a Tuesday, I'll sometimes use Chevron or Mobil Premium. Never "Generic" gas.
What is this T-Mobile App, do you need T-Mobile? I find with my 03 Cobra, it likes Sunoco 93 over Shell. Had always been a shell user.

Ben Daigneault

2019 Regal GS
I still have my tank with the winter blend. The mileage around town is 24 something now and it sucks.
Almost everyone got winter blend. Refinery are stock with winter blend because of the Covid and lower consumption. They have a Waiver from government to provide winter Blend. It should not change to much on driving but will be very volatile and could provide a check engine because of the evaporative system. So don’t fill up until it is very full, at the “click” stop it!!!

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Almost everyone got winter blend. Refinery are stock with winter blend because of the Covid and lower consumption. They have a Waiver from government to provide winter Blend. It should not change to much on driving but will be very volatile and could provide a check engine because of the evaporative system. So don’t fill up until it is very full, at the “click” stop it!!!
Oh, I always only stop at the click.
Well, the thing is, my wagon still has the gas from January!!! (I did put in a whole bottle of Sta-Bil in it though)

Ben Daigneault

2019 Regal GS
Oh, I always only stop at the click.
Well, the thing is, my wagon still has the gas from January!!! (I did put in a whole bottle of Sta-Bil in it though)
You're not moving too much i see! Me too, no more traveling for the business until .....i dont know!!! I used to drive to the airport every week andi'm home based worker

Ctrcbob

Regal Tour-X
What is this T-Mobile App, do you need T-Mobile? I find with my 03 Cobra, it likes Sunoco 93 over Shell. Had always been a shell user.
T-Mobile TUESDAY app from the App Store. To activate, yes you need T-Mobile service.

Also need a Shell card that you can pick up at any Shell station. (Not a credit card). Forget how I activated it. Probably by phoning the number on the card. I think they also ask for my T-Mobile phone number.

On Tuesdays, I open the
T-Mobile Tuesday app. Tap the Shell icon. Shell comes up. A LONG number comes up. Tap Activate. Next screen comes up telling me how much I’ll save. Tap OK.

At Shell station, I only pay with cash, but most pay at the pump with their CC. When I go to gas station, I run Shell card through their reader. Answer questions, tap ok, and when o get to pump, the new price per gallon is on the pump.

If you buy on any other day except Tuesday, you entry your phone number and still get the standard five cents a gallon off.

All the above may not be exactly correct, but with T-Mobile, you will
Get the idea.

BTW; nothing to do with above, but the best thing g I ever did was switch from ATT to T-Mobile.
Great Customer Service. Great Service.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Since it’s been hot here the last couple weeks I have been using 93E10 or 91E0 and my mileage has been fantastic. The car really likes the heat! Even with the air on nearly constantly my last tanks have been 32.5, 32.5, 33.5, and 34.2.

Dark Moon (Buick Regal TourX) | Fuelly
The hotter the intake air, the less fuel needs to be injected to maintain the proper air fuel ratio.

Even tho our cars have a intercooler, it can only cool it off so much.

Cold air = dense air = more oxygen particles

Hotter air = less dense = less oxygen particles = less fuel needed for proper fuel mix.

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I'm hitting 20 to 22 around town but I do enjoy winding up the turbo.

On the highway I just set the cruise and let the computers judge gear, rpm, etc - even at 85 mph I'm getting 28 mpg in interstate cruising.

Premium always for me.
I finally considered the break-in period is completed, so my mileage may get better, since the cruise control is unsealed now. But, need the summer blend to test and see how high I can make it.
Of course, I enjoyed my previous gen Regal's turbo and is sure this one will be just as enjoyable if not more. :cheers:

Ctrcbob

Regal Tour-X
T-Mobile TUESDAY app from the App Store. To activate, yes you need T-Mobile service.

Also need a Shell card that you can pick up at any Shell station. (Not a credit card). Forget how I activated it. Probably by phoning the number on the card. I think they also ask for my T-Mobile phone number.

On Tuesdays, I open the
T-Mobile Tuesday app. Tap the Shell icon. Shell comes up. A LONG number comes up. Tap Activate. Next screen comes up telling me how much I’ll save. Tap OK.

At Shell station, I only pay with cash, but most pay at the pump with their CC. When I go to gas station, I run Shell card through their reader. Answer questions, tap ok, and when o get to pump, the new price per gallon is on the pump.

If you buy on any other day except Tuesday, you entry your phone number and still get the standard five cents a gallon off.

All the above may not be exactly correct, but with T-Mobile, you will
Get the idea.

BTW; nothing to do with above, but the best thing g I ever did was switch from ATT to T-Mobile.
Great Customer Service. Great Service.
Just realized that the Shell card I talked about is really Shell’s
“Fuel Rewards” card. Also go to the App Store and get the
Fuel Rewards app.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
2018 Regal TourX
Just realized that the Shell card I talked about is really Shell’s
“Fuel Rewards” card. Also go to the App Store and get the
Fuel Rewards app.
I'm in SpeedWay's loyalty program and get a "free" coffee every $100 worth of gas I buy. The way I see it I was going to buy that gas anyway... And I'm a bit of a coffee addict.

For those who want the cheapest gasoline there are always a few good apps for keeping track of that. When I was utilizing the district motor pool a little more I had the Wex App on my phone so I could keep tabs on the stations that would take the fleet fuel card. The side benefit was that it reported their fuel prices.

Red_X

2018 TourX Preferred Sport Red/Shale - red needle
ExxonMobil has a thing where you can pay from your dashboard. Part of that GM marketplace thing. Kinda cumbersome but kinda works. I think Shell does the same thing with the Fuel Rewards.

D2R

Michigan
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I'm in SpeedWay's loyalty program and get a "free" coffee every $100 worth of gas I buy. The way I see it I was going to buy that gas anyway... And I'm a bit of a coffee addict.

For those who want the cheapest gasoline there are always a few good apps for keeping track of that. When I was utilizing the district motor pool a little more I had the Wex App on my phone so I could keep tabs on the stations that would take the fleet fuel card. The side benefit was that it reported their fuel prices.
Dan,
Is Speedway serving top tier gas in your area?
They certainly aren't around here.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!