• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Do you use regular or premium? LTG engine.

Do you use regular or premium? If you switched from one to the other. Did you feel any difference?

• Premium

Votes: 61 88.4%
  • Regular

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Mid grade

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
@Ben Daigneault - Just to be clear for all...

Since GM recommends and not requires premium for the 2.0T.... IF you owned the 2.0T engine, what octane would you run? And would that octane choice change if you were seeking peak performance?

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
If it's retarding timing, knock is occurring and it's damaging your engine. In other words, it's too late to apply the brakes once you have crashed into the car ahead of you, the damage is done.
nope, the knock sensor is detecting the onset of ping and retards the timing instantly, no damage done. In other words, it‘s like AEB, the system senses an object in front of you and brakes for you.
The LTG has a base tune for 87R+M/2...it can advance base timing to take advantage of higher octane. Even with 93 octane it pulls timing if the knock sensor perks it’s ears up.

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS

Since GM recommends and not requires premium for the 2.0T.... IF you owned the 2.0T engine, what octane would you run? And would that octane choice change if you were seeking peak performance?

I have the 3.6 and using regular gas 87 and as the owner manual describe, recommended for the 2.0 of 93 and 87 can be use but if knocking occured, use 93.

Last edited:

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
nope, the knock sensor is detecting the onset of ping and retards the timing instantly, no damage done. In other words, it‘s like AEB, the system senses an object in front of you and brakes for you.
The LTG has a base tune for 87R+M/2...it can advance base timing to take advantage of higher octane. Even with 93 octane it pulls timing if the knock sensor perks it’s ears up.

both of you are right in a certain way! Thank God we have knocking sensor to avoid damages but without that sensor, damages can occurred

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune

A knock sensor can't predict knock, it senses knock when it's occurring. Read this info I found:

The knock sensor detects vibrations that come from a knock or an irregularity in combustion and send a signal to the engine control computer, which then adjusts timing to correct the knock.

Hmmm just like I said, knock has to occur for the system to retard timing.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Sorry. Is for LTG.
I use Shell Premium because of the "extra" cleaners in the Premium, plus I get it discounted using "T-Mobil Tuesdays".

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
I wouldn't recommend 87 on a hot day, but it works fine. If you never go full throttle, you'll be fine with 87 when it's not hot outside.

I run 91+ cause I abuse my cars.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Search keyword: Premium
Searched forum: This forum
The following are what I found from the first 8 pages.
(Well...at least, none of them have a poll...)

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Attach files
A knock sensor can't predict knock, it senses knock when it's occurring. Read this info I found:

The knock sensor detects vibrations that come from a knock or an irregularity in combustion and send a signal to the engine control computer, which then adjusts timing to correct the knock.

Hmmm just like I said, knock has to occur for the system to retard timing.

Correct, but keep in mind knock sensors aren't an on-off switch. They can detect when engine noise gets close to knock and pull timing before a major knock event. It's all about how sensitive your make the system. I have no firsthand knowledge of how this system is implemented in these cars, I'm just making a general statement. With a long powertrain warranty on the line, I'm sure GM would've make 93 required not suggested if it was going to cause catastrophic damage.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Tell that to all the LTG owners here that had to have GM install a new motor because the pistons got destroyed with the stock tune. So obviously GM didn't see that coming. If you hammer the throttle trying to pass someone and it knocks severely there will be catastrophic damage.

landsharkmz3

GM requires a minimum of 87 (RON+MON)/2, with a maximum ethanol of 15%. The engine is designed, validated, and warranted for these parameters.

For most driving conditions, buy the fuel grade that give you the best BTU/$. In my area, that is almost always 88 E15.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Tell that to all the LTG owners here that had to have GM install a new motor because the pistons got destroyed with the stock tune. So obviously GM didn't see that coming. If you hammer the throttle trying to pass someone and it knocks severely there will be catastrophic damage.

One LTG=/= another LTG.

GM historically has different tunes for even different model years of the same everything. Saying a LTG from 2013 is the same as one from 2018+ is pretty naive.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Everyone here doesn't have a 2018, mine is a 2014 and many others here also have the early LTG.

GM requires a minimum of 87 (RON+MON)/2, with a maximum ethanol of 15%. The engine is designed, validated, and warranted for these parameters.

For most driving conditions, buy the fuel grade that give you the best BTU/$. In my area, that is almost always 88 E15.

Nope you can't run E85 in a Regal with the LTG, the car isn't flex fuel compatible. This from my owners manual and I don't have a yellow gas cap:

E85 or FlexFuel Vehicles with a yellow fuel cap can use either unleaded gasoline or fuel containing up to 85% ethanol (E85). All other vehicles should use only the unleaded gasoline as described in Recommended Fuel on page 9-60.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Everyone here doesn't have a 2018, mine is a 2014 and many others here also have the early LTG.

Nope you can't run E85 in a Regal with the LTG, the car isn't flex fuel compatible. This from my owners manual and I don't have a yellow gas cap:

E85 or FlexFuel Vehicles with a yellow fuel cap can use either unleaded gasoline or fuel containing up to 85% ethanol (E85). All other vehicles should use only the unleaded gasoline as described in Recommended Fuel on page 9-60.

The user never suggested using E85. Many pump fuels now contain at least 10% ethanol. Or in the poster's case, 15% (E15)

You are also in the 2018+ section of the forums FYI.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
10% ethanol is safe to use with the LTG and that's what most people use. The reason the 2018+ LTG's haven't blown up is because most of them are still sitting on dealer lots. :laugh:

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
10% ethanol is safe to use with the LTG and that's what most people use. The reason the 2018+ LTG's haven't blown up is because most of them are still sitting on dealer lots. :laugh:

A lack of data points surely can't allow us to know the full picture. The fact still stands that GM says 87 octane fuel is safe for our 18+ LTGs.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!