HID headlight issue!

TurboTezak

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal Turbo
2012 buick regal turbo here, gallon of water in each headlight assembly. The car has Hid, the gm oem outlet discontinued that assembly and only has composite. My question here is can i order the composite and plug it into hid, on the outlet it says it fits my car but i’m wary about it. i emailed oem support and they just sent me a link to hid assembly for $1200 which is ridiculous price.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The composite headlight assemblies don't have HID so you need to buy the more expensive HID headlight assemblies to get that feature. You should be able to install an aftermarket HID kit in the composite headlight assemblies though. Those kits have HID bulbs and ballasts.

TurboTezak

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal Turbo
I read in other replies the aftermarket wasn’t very good i seen it’s like a “band aid”. i want to switch to led but the car has HID could you point me in the right direction as to where i should look.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I have used many good quality HID kits from Ebay and never had any issues with any of them. Just don't buy an inexpensive one and you won't have any problems. As for LED kits I haven't looked into them, but I would imagine a higher priced one on Ebay will be reliable.

Here's one that's 50% off and it includes both pairs of bulbs for the low beams and high beams for your 2012 Regal. It comes with a 5 year warranty so it should give you many years of reliable service.

Keep in mind these bulbs will only fit the composite headlight assemblies, not the HID headlight assemblies on your car now.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I just bought these LED bulbs for my wife's Regal since she doesn't have HID's like I do in mine. I'll let you know how they work when they arrive next week and I get them installed.

Last edited:

TurboTezak

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal Turbo
I am very thankful for all the replies and advice! I guess my last question is will the composite halogen wiring harness match up with the hid wiring harness. Then i can convert halogen to led, correct?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The HID wiring harness and plug probably wont plug into the H7 and H11 bulb socket. I looked quickly online and I couldn't find a D1S (HID) to H7 or H11 adaptor harness. I can do a more thorough search tonite when I get home from work, but I'm assuming they don't make one because the circuitry in the factory HID system isn't compatible with an LED bulb. So hold off buying those bulbs until I can do some more research on this matter.

TurboTezak

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal Turbo
The HID wiring harness and plug probably wont plug into the H7 and H11 bulb socket. I looked quickly online and I couldn't find a D1S (HID) to H7 or H11 adaptor harness. I can do a more thorough search tonite when I get home from work, but I'm assuming they don't make one because the circuitry in the factory HID system isn't compatible with an LED bulb. So hold off buying those bulbs until I can do some more research on this matter.
ok i’m looking on the gm outlet website and they discontinued the hid composite assembly but they do have the halogen composite assembly available and says it fits but i’m not sure

pigsnzen

BFE, KY
Buick Ownership
'12 GS 6MT
The halogen headlights are direct plug and play with the HID harness in my GS - you just need to invert the plug 180 degrees due to the way it was cast into the aftermarket halogen assemblies. The wires coming out of the other side of the plug (assembly-side) contain the H7 and H11 plugs for lights.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Thanks for the reply. It seems those LED bulbs will work in the halogen headlights and plug into the HID harness after all.

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
The composite headlight assemblies don't have HID so you need to buy the more expensive HID headlight assemblies to get that feature. You should be able to install an aftermarket HID kit in the composite headlight assemblies though. Those kits have HID bulbs and ballasts.
The HID units have Magnified Focus lens and the Composites DO NOT, thus giving a very vague look to them. That's why they look like shit, same thing will hold true if you get the LEDs for the composites. I have the HID assemblies, but fortunately, mine DON't Leak yet, and I hope they never do. Someone on this forum's FaceBook page posted the HID to LED link, which I can't seem to find now.

TurboTezak

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal Turbo
The HID units have Magnified Focus lens and the Composites DO NOT, thus giving a very vague look to them. That's why they look like shit, same thing will hold true if you get the LEDs for the composites. I have the HID assemblies, but fortunately, mine DON't Leak yet, and I hope they never do. Someone on this forum's FaceBook page posted the HID to LED link, which I can't seem to find now.
i want to put these in, 22794766 Buick Regal Composite Headlamp (Right) - Buick Headlight Part - Online Wholesale GM Parts | OEM GM Parts Outlet. But i have Hid in not on my 2012 buick regal premium. Your saying the composite halogen wiring harness will fit to the pre existing hid wiring harness?

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
The halogen headlights are direct plug and play with the HID harness in my GS - you just need to invert the plug 180 degrees due to the way it was cast into the aftermarket halogen assemblies. The wires coming out of the other side of the plug (assembly-side) contain the H7 and H11 plugs for lights.
That's what this guy said not the guy you quoted.

pigsnzen

BFE, KY
Buick Ownership
'12 GS 6MT
i want to put these in, 22794766 Buick Regal Composite Headlamp (Right) - Buick Headlight Part - Online Wholesale GM Parts | OEM GM Parts Outlet. But i have Hid in not on my 2012 buick regal premium. Your saying the composite halogen wiring harness will fit to the pre existing hid wiring harness?
Yes, I've got the halogen headlight assemblies installed on my 2012 GS and they plug up directly to the factory HID harness (the plugs and all but one wire are identical on the headlight side).

TurboTezak

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal Turbo

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Composite Headlight Assemblies don't have the projector lens and don't focus the light like the HIDs do, this link might provide a solution.View attachment 14045View attachment 14046View attachment 14047
My wife's 2014 Regal has halogen headlights and projector lenses just like my 2014 Regal with factory HID's so thats not always true. Evidently Buick uses the same headlight assembly for the halogen and HID option in the 2014+ Regals.

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Here's the part description for my 2014 Regal with HID. Notice it says composite headlamp with HID and I have projector lenses that look just like my wife's headlights on her Regal.

Headlamp Assembly
Part Number: 13432981
Positions: Right
Other Names: Composite Headlamp, Headlamp
Description: Regal. Right. With hid, without bulb.
Fits:
  • Buick:
    • Regal

TurboTezak

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal Turbo
Halogen bulbs don't require a ballast. Just buy the LED bulbs I posted and you will love them.
Ok. The phillips lightbulb guide says i need H11-55w for low beams, what could i use for low beams? i’m sorry for all the questions and run around lol! I’ve been driving around for almost a year now without headlights just using my fog lights lol. A couple replies earlier someone posted the black assembly and in the technical it says the low beams are H1 and the high beams are H7 and i’m very confused. I’d hate to spend all this money and get a bunch of different shit. should i just buy off the gm site or?