HID headlight issue!

bwryan

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Northern Virginia
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS 6MT
Earlier in this thread, pigsnzen reported that he did this swap on his 2012 GS and no adapter or new harness was required, so that's what I'm banking on.

Yeah, if I do go ahead and take that route, I'll almost definitely put LEDs in.

Brian

pigsnzen

BFE, KY
Buick Ownership
'12 GS 6MT
Yeah, I took the bumper off, removed the HID assemblies, replaced them with the halogens, and plugged them directly up (the plug had to be inverted 180 degrees). Around 30 minutes if you've taken the bumper cover off before.

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Yeah, I took the bumper off, removed the HID assemblies, replaced them with the halogens, and plugged them directly up (the plug had to be inverted 180 degrees). Around 30 minutes if you've taken the bumper cover off before.
Hi, could you please explain exactly what you bought? Thanks.

CLE12GS

Cleveland
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick GS
I know the D1S HIDs are both High/Low beam (Single Focus Lens), but all I see are the LEDs are ONLY High or LOW beam ( for 4 bulb Halogen assemblies ), but not BOTH (Dual Voltage). Does the plug that goes into the Ballast, plug into the LED?

I Thank GOD I don't have condensation in my light yet (83K), but when I do, I want to be prepared.

Last edited:

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
......I Thank GOD I don't have condensation in my light yet (83K), but when I do, I want to be prepared.
Based on what I know now, I wish I had removed my headlight assemblies when I bought my used Regal in May 2018, before it got condensation in mine, and added sealant to my assemblies as a preventative.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Hi, I ordered two different sets of LED bulbs, hoping to be able to get a working drivers side headlight for a lot less than $1200. After removing the existing HID bulb and looking at the wire that connected to it, and the connectors on the new H7 bulb, I see they do not match. It is clear that I don't know what I am doing.

I have attached pictures of the wire that went to my old HID bulb (does this come from the ballast?), of the old HID bulb, a view into the headlight assembly from the hole in the back, and of one of the new H7 bulbs I bought.

One of the H7 bulbs that I bought is shown in my attached pictures, and I bought it from here: (Combo H11 and H7 LED Headlight Bulbs Kit High Low Beam Fog Light 6000K 4pcs | eBay)

I looked for video tutorials, but the connections did not look the same as what I see on my 2012 Regal GS.

Do I need to buy some additional conversion kit?
Do I need to disconnect the other wire which goes into the back of the headlight assembly, closer to the middle of the car? If I do this, how will power get to the other light bulbs (fog lights and turn signals) that are also in that headlight assembly?
Any guidance will be appreciated - thanks.
As you see in the post below I said that the Ebay LED bulbs will only fit the composite headlights, not the HID headlights. Since you have HID headlights you need the D1S LED bulbs. If you click the sylvania link below it will indicate that you have the D1S bulbs since your headlights are HID.

| SYLVANIA Automotive

Here's one that's 50% off and it includes both pairs of bulbs for the low beams and high beams for your 2012 Regal. It comes with a 5 year warranty so it should give you many years of reliable service.

Keep in mind these bulbs will only fit the composite headlight assemblies, not the HID headlight assemblies on your car now.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I know the D1S HIDs are both High/Low beam (Single Focus Lens), but all I see are the LEDs are ONLY High or LOW beam ( for 4 bulb Halogen assemblies ), but not BOTH (Dual Voltage). Does the plug that goes into the Ballast, plug into the LED?

I Thank GOD I don't have condensation in my light yet (83K), but when I do, I want to be prepared.
Here's a pair of low/high beam D1S LED bulbs.

Pair D1S D2S D3S D4S D1R D2R D3R D4R LED Headlight Bulb Kit 1000W 150000LM 6000K | eBay

gregdam

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal CXL
I have had the condensation in my headlights starting with the passenger side first in 2017 on my 2011 Regal CXL. Took it to the dealer and the replacement cost was just about $1,000. I did not replace it. Early in 2018 the drivers side started having condensation as well. Did some research about replacing them myself, I know that job is too much for me. Contacted Buick about this issue in Jan 2019 and was told my complaint was noted. After hearing nothing back I filed a complaint at the NHTSB website, I was informed I would get a reply if other drivers had filed a similar problem. Heard nothing back from them either. This morning the passenger side bulb is out, it is still early morning here so I will look further into this problem and see if there is a burnt socket, as I have seen this issue in other posts. This has to be addressed by Buick in some fashion, as I now know It has happened to other vehicles as well.

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Try switching just the bulbs - put the one you know works (driver side) in the other headlight assembly that is not working (your passenger side). If the driver's side bulb does not work in the passenger side assembly, then the water may have caused the ballast in the passenger side to fail.

gregdam

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal CXL
Finally got a chance this weekend to replace just the bulb that was burnt out, I was surprised that when I pulled the whole socket and bulb out, all the glass of the bulb was gone. Not really sure what happened, I do not think the condensation or water, the high beam bulb sits lower in the assembly, that would have gone first. The condensation is still there, wish I had the money to just replace them both, or just buy another vehicle, not even 45,000 miles on it and the check engine light is on all the time now.

rodslinger

Atlanta, GA
Buick Ownership
14 Regal GS
Curious if everyone with condensation issues also park outside at home or park outside at work?

I've never had this issue but our Regal is garage parked and when my wife used to drive it to work it was in a covered parking deck also. It really only saw rain if it was being driven in the rain.

gregdam

Buick Ownership
2011 Regal CXL
My car is always outside unless I need to go to the city and need to park in a parking garage, rain and snow, my car has seen its share, but sealed headlight assemblies should not fail before 50,000 miles.

G-979690

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Thanks for the info. While that link showed out of stock by the time I went there today, I found this similar item and ordered it today:

G-485949

Does everyone feel that there have been enough issues with the condensation/water getting inside our HID headlights for a recall? I do and I recommend everyone that has had this issue file a complaint here

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This a a huge safety concern that needs to be addressed and corrected by Buick/GM.
What are your thoughts?
I am having the same problem, took the car back 3x to get it fix and it still has the moisture in it and the guy said that's normal. How do you file a complaint and yes I think it should be recalled. My daughter in law has a 2012 and her's does the same thing. I also am having electrical issues where the radio and a/c shut off while driving.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
I would just buy new headlights rather than expecting GM to resolve the problem. Evidently the dealer hasn't been able to find a solution and even though I feel it's a safety issue GM hasn't issued a recall.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Apparently it's not that big of a problem according to NHTSA as it seems ONLY 7 complaints have been entered for ALL 2012 Buick Regal, so what interests would require a recall by NHTSA or for GM doing something, owners invovlement. Do nothing, get nothing it's that simple, fourms and Facebook don't mean squat, enter your complaint at NHTSA.

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Thanks for the info. While that link showed out of stock by the time I went there today, I found this similar item and ordered it today:
This drivers side headlight assembly arrived yesterday. We did a quick test (hooking it up electrically without installing it in its proper place), and all its electrical functions worked. The appearance of the stuff inside the headlight assembly is not identical to my HID original (this difference is to be expected - this replacement is not HID). Based on this successful test, I went ahead and ordered its matching passenger side headlight assembly. After it arrives, I will do the installation, and finally have two working headlights again.

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
This drivers side headlight assembly arrived yesterday. We did a quick test (hooking it up electrically without installing it in its proper place), and all its electrical functions worked. The appearance of the stuff inside the headlight assembly is not identical to my HID original (this difference is to be expected - this replacement is not HID). Based on this successful test, I went ahead and ordered its matching passenger side headlight assembly. After it arrives, I will do the installation, and finally have two working headlights again.
I got the new pair of headlight assemblies installed today. We first loosened one side of the bumper to install one light, then tightened back up those screws, then loosening up the other side and to repeat there. As noted by pigsnzen, the harness had to be inverted, but that was not a big deal. The new headlights have a different appearance inside the lens, and lack the blue ring around the main light, but since I bought a pair they match each other, so I am fine with their appearance. I am happy to have two working headlights again, after several months.

Attachments