HID headlight issue!

ECH13

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal 2.0 CXL T Flexfuel
Finally got a chance this weekend to replace just the bulb that was burnt out, I was surprised that when I pulled the whole socket and bulb out, all the glass of the bulb was gone. Not really sure what happened, I do not think the condensation or water, the high beam bulb sits lower in the assembly, that would have gone first. The condensation is still there, wish I had the money to just replace them both, or just buy another vehicle, not even 45,000 miles on it and the check engine light is on all the time now.
In January 2018 my 2011 Buick Regal 2.0 CXL T Flexfuel was experiencing water retention in the driver's side headlight assembly and caused it to fail. I had it replaced at a cost of $1,200. In June 2019 (out of assembly's year warranty) I noticed the condensation and retention of water in the headlight assembly was occurring again on both driver and passenger side. The headlights were still working at that time. Now in 2020 both headlights are no longer working. The failure occurred within two days of each other. I took the car to my Buick dealer and was told the price to fix both headlights was $2,720. I cannot to replace the headlights therefore I am unable to drive my vehicle at night. The Buick dealer told me that GM would do nothing about the problem. I contacted GM and was informed they would do nothing about this problem as they considered it a maintenance issue. This is not a maintenance issue when the problem occurs only after a year-and-a-half of being fixed The fact that you cannot use your vehicle during the rain, at night or should you have an emergency is more a safety issue and a product latent failure. My next step is to contact the NHSTB and file a complaint. I read in this forum that the NHSTB states there were only seven complaints filed yet in my research on this issue I find that there are many many more individuals experiencing this same problem and not with just the Buick Regal but also the Lucerne model. Today I am taking my car to a specialty shop that seals these headlight assemblies after repairing at a cost under $1,000 for both headlights. I will update you as there may be someone in your area that performs the same service. I found this company's name by visiting our local Advance Auto company. Good Luck

MsReyna2019

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal
Seems like you guys have done a ton of research, so I'm looking for some help. My husband has a 2011 Buick Regal. His boss backed into his car and damaged the passenger side headlight which needs to be replaced. From what we're seeing and being told by the auto body repair shop... it's so expensive to replace. We are looking for a passenger side HID projector headlight. Any leads on where to order or find one that's not $1200?

Thanks in advance!

MN Regal owner

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS 6MT
Seems like you guys have done a ton of research, so I'm looking for some help. My husband has a 2011 Buick Regal. His boss backed into his car and damaged the passenger side headlight which needs to be replaced. From what we're seeing and being told by the auto body repair shop... it's so expensive to replace. We are looking for a passenger side HID projector headlight. Any leads on where to order or find one that's not $1200?

Thanks in advance!
There are a bunch of threads on this subject throughout the blog, if you do a search I imagine this subject is the most often discussed. About two years ago I started having condensation issues in one of my HID lamp assemblies in my 2012 Regal. After fighting with it and spending lots of money in new parts trying to fix the problem (because GM stopped making the HID assemblies for these cars which is why they cost $1,200 IF you can find one) and swapped them out for new halogen lamps from Amazon which cost less than $200 per side rather than $1,200. The halogen lamps don't look as "cool" as the HID lights with the LED markers but they've been 100% trouble free and work very well.

If you can get insurance to pay for the expensive HID replacements then you're very fortunate! If it were me and it had to come out of my pocket, I'd go with the halogen lamps - but you'd have to replace both sides otherwise it will look a bit funny.

Kyle3333

Buick Ownership
2012 regal
I got the new pair of headlight assemblies installed today. We first loosened one side of the bumper to install one light, then tightened back up those screws, then loosening up the other side and to repeat there. As noted by pigsnzen, the harness had to be inverted, but that was not a big deal. The new headlights have a different appearance inside the lens, and lack the blue ring around the main light, but since I bought a pair they match each other, so I am fine with their appearance. I am happy to have two working headlights again, after several months.
So you can replace the HID HEADLIGHT assembly with the regular. How did you make that work? My wife has 2012 Buick Regal and I’ve replaced 1 already and now the other one has moisture.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!