• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

HID headlight issue!

G-627721

Does everyone feel that there have been enough issues with the condensation/water getting inside our HID headlights for a recall? I do and I recommend everyone that has had this issue file a complaint here

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This a a huge safety concern that needs to be addressed and corrected by Buick/GM.
What are your thoughts?
I agree - I have a 2011 with condensation in the headlights and have been quoted 1200 to get them replaced/fixed. It is a crazy amount to have to pay for headlights which are legally required - and the risk associated with lights burning out regularly due to the condensation is not acceptable. I also had the same issue with a blown bulb a couple years ago and discovered it had melted when replacing it - so it wasn't just a bulb replacement - added time and cost.
Does everyone feel that there have been enough issues with the condensation/water getting inside our HID headlights for a recall? I do and I recommend everyone that has had this issue file a complaint here

File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

This a a huge safety concern that needs to be addressed and corrected by Buick/GM.
What are your thoughts?

kylemarburger

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
I got the new pair of headlight assemblies installed today. We first loosened one side of the bumper to install one light, then tightened back up those screws, then loosening up the other side and to repeat there. As noted by pigsnzen, the harness had to be inverted, but that was not a big deal. The new headlights have a different appearance inside the lens, and lack the blue ring around the main light, but since I bought a pair they match each other, so I am fine with their appearance. I am happy to have two working headlights again, after several months.
Thanks for posting this update! Where did you find the passenger side to match the link to the drivers side? I would like to do this.. as I have replaced multiple ballasts and I am sick of doing this. Thanks in advance! @carl3pedals

Last edited:

carl3pedals

NJ
Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Here is the LH light I bought:

Here is the RH light I bought:

This fit in my 2012 GS, which originally had HID headlight assemblies, and it was also straightforward to get the electrical connection mated. It was actually my son who did it - I told him others had said something had to go upside down, and he said he saw that was correct, and he took care of it.

The headlight assemblies I bought stated they were for Buick Regal 2011-2012. I don't know if later years, or non-GS models, might have come with different headlight assemblies, and might therefore have a different electrical connector.

kylemarburger

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
[/URL]

[/URL]

This fit in my 2012 GS, which originally had HID headlight assemblies, and it was also straightforward to get the electrical connection mated. It was actually my son who did it - I told him others had said something had to go upside down, and he said he saw that was correct, and he took care of it.

The headlight assemblies I bought stated they were for Buick Regal 2011-2012. I don't know if later years, or non-GS models, might have come with different headlight assemblies, and might therefore have a different electrical connector.
Thank you for sharing! I just ordered both. Kind of bummed because it is a downgrade from the HIDs look wise.. but hopefully these wont cause as many issues :)

Raynman92

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo
[/URL]

[/URL]

I'm in the process of doing the same, replacing both sets due to a bad HID driver side. Can you guys provide a little more detail on what the 'inverted' plug or slight modification was for the electrical connection? I'm assuming it's no big deal but want to be sure I don't have to order anything else or need special instruction. Thanks.

kylemarburger

Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
There is no modification needed. The assembly fits in just like the HIDs. The only difference is the plug-in is turned differently than the HID, so you just simply angle to plug in to fit the new headlight assembly. Took me about 5-10 minutes to switch both headlights (although I had experience from replacing multiple ballists :). I am happy I never have to worry about a headlight going out again though..

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Halogen bulbs don't last forever, but if you install LED bulbs they will outlast the halogen bulbs.

jackbot

Buick Ownership
2012 Regal GS
Anyone have a broken/leaking HID housing they would part with cheap? I would like to experiment with some LEDs without having to take my whole front end apart.

fallagersky

Buick Ownership
2013 regal turbo
Curious if everyone with condensation issues also park outside at home or park outside at work?

I've never had this issue but our Regal is garage parked and when my wife used to drive it to work it was in a covered parking deck also. It really only saw rain if it was being driven in the rain.
i have a 2013 regal turbo,(60k miles) always parked in my garage. how i have condensation starting on the driver side.

robinlynn

Buick Ownership
BulkStop9
Yes. I have the same issues. Mine is a 2012 Regal and I replaced the right and now seeing condensation in the left.

Has there been a recall?

Pedal Commander