• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Joining the rear diff club

dsimoneaux19d

Texas
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Completely different differential as ours is sourced from GKN and is mechanically different.

There doesn't need to be acknowledgment from GM or a TSB as you're having an issue that can be reproduced. TSB's are issued when there are enough failures and help guide the dealer toward the correct repair.

My tech sent an email to GM's technical line and was told to replace the differential under warranty. My pinion seal was leaking and that's serviceable in the field. The diff is not field-serviceable so it got replaced.

Sounds like you need a new service writer or escalate it to the service manager.

Appreciate the reply. As far as I know they have contacted the technical line, that's where the Corvette reference came in. He said it'll more than likely get replaced, they just have to go through all the steps they were given to diagnose it.

I'm going to let them do their thing, I used to be a tech at a dealership and getting through all the red tape takes time. I just figured there might be more out there with the issue... not on this forum...and maybe GM had taken notice to put something in writing.

One question for you though since you've been through this process... What kind of warranty came with the repair?

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Adding myself to the list. Noticed diff fluid leaking on my driveway, the whole case was wet.

Just dropped my car off today, was told the seal is non-serviceable, and they are replacing the whole differential and bearings.

2018, Essence, 21,000 miles.

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Adding myself to the list. Noticed diff fluid leaking on my driveway, the whole case was wet.

Just dropped my car off today, was told the seal is non-serviceable, and they are replacing the whole differential and bearings.

2018, Essence, 21,000 miles.

That's strange, they just replaced the seal in mine a couple of weeks ago. Was yours leaking from the left side?

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
That's strange, they just replaced the seal in mine a couple of weeks ago. Was yours leaking from the left side?

Not sure what side it was on since they said they will be replacing everything for me. I'll try to remember to ask when it is done and I pick it up.

Curious how long I'll be without my car, because they said the parts are all in Michigan and the LCAs took a while to deliver.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Update, dealership has had my car for 3 weeks now, and still doesn't have all of the parts to complete this repair yet...

They said they have the differential case, but not the axles. Hopefully they will call soon with an update.

Side note. My rental is a brand new Encore... I hate it.

Kappy

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
After reading this post, even though I am having no noise issues, I took a look at the rear diff. Sure enough it is leaking. Have an appointment to take in next Tuesday. 2018 X with 16k miles. I would recommend everyone with an "X" take a look, check your garage floor for drips before your warranty runs out. See pics

Attachments

• image000001(1).jpg
    image000001(1).jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 29
  • image000000(2).jpg
    image000000(2).jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 29

jwillis1204

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
My rear diff had been getting quite chatty for the last few months, with no visible leaks. At 45k miles, I finally dropped the car off at the dealer to get it looked at. After almost a full week, they managed to change the rear diff fluid--and had the gall to charge me for it. They claimed GM "doesn't cover fluid breakdown". Obviously I'm litigating that out with Buick customer service.

The car drives about 1000x better with a working rear diff. It's amazing how much of a boat these cars are without the magic of torque vectoring. Also blows my mind that no warning lights were ever triggered.

Before I knew the dealer would get greedy, I'd also asked them to service the transmission and PTU/transfer case. I'd noticed the car seemed to be lugging more up mild hills--just chalked it up to carbon buildup. Literally all of that cleared up after the transmission was serviced. I seriously wonder if the 9 speed has the same issues with torque converter shudder as the longitudinal 8 speed does.

Kappy

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
update on leaking diff, dealer had for 5 days, they replaced the left rear seal. Durning the time they had it, they changed the oil & rotated tires, also fixed an issue I had with the drivers seat. Loaner was a Cadillac XT5. Very satisfied.

Miltownsho

Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
My rear diff had been getting quite chatty for the last few months, with no visible leaks. At 45k miles, I finally dropped the car off at the dealer to get it looked at. After almost a full week, they managed to change the rear diff fluid--and had the gall to charge me for it. They claimed GM "doesn't cover fluid breakdown". Obviously I'm litigating that out with Buick customer service.

The car drives about 1000x better with a working rear diff. It's amazing how much of a boat these cars are without the magic of torque vectoring. Also blows my mind that no warning lights were ever triggered.

Before I knew the dealer would get greedy, I'd also asked them to service the transmission and PTU/transfer case. I'd noticed the car seemed to be lugging more up mild hills--just chalked it up to carbon buildup. Literally all of that cleared up after the transmission was serviced.

They are correct to charge you. Warranty doesn't cover maintaining your vehicle. Differential fluid along with transmission fluid should be changed every 45k. This is standard on almost any GM severe service maintenance schedule.

I worked at GM for years and will be changing my fluid at that interval as well.

RyeLou

Detroit, MI
Buick Ownership
'18 Regal GS
Are you saying that the Chevy Dealer is ordering the part and doing the repair under warranty?

I once spoke with my local Chevy dealer who told me that they could NOT do warranty work on the Buick. They could service, but not warranty work.

Who is right?

I know the link is about the extended warranty, but the second paragraph answers your question. Any GM dealership has the ability to service and warranty any other GM brand vehicle.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!