• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Joining the rear diff club

Crispy

Buick Ownership
TourX
Greetings, 2018 X with 15k. Very good info here. Thanks all. Crawled under ours yesterday to see a leaky pinion seal. Happened to be by our dealer so stopped just to check in and ask about it. Service person hadn’t heard anything but advised getting it in. The diff case was clean but slinger had sent it all over the curved body member above the rear. We can’t get in for a while so I wiped it clean and will do my own check again. I will update. C.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Those who have had issues should provide build dates. It doesn't predict failure, but may provide useful trend data.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
That’s crazy!! At least it’s done! Hope that will work fine!

It better have worked! I just resealed my driveway, so all of the diff fluid spots are gone... we'll see if there's anymore.

This parts shortage issue for this car is awful. Took weeks to get the lower control arms in, but at least I had my car during those weeks. Being 7 weeks without this car sucked. Not much on the market has this cargo space, and I didn't realize just how much I use that space until I didn't have it.

agaric

Buick Newbie
Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2017 Regal GS AWD Crimson Red Tint Coat
If the diff unit comes from a third party and a problem occurs GM may be running into the situation where a problem part has low availability due to high demand. There may even have been a manufacturing/assembly change needed if that was the cause of the seals failing.

Metatron723

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Hi all! Great info from the group. Just joined the rear differential club. 2018 TourX with 19.5K miles. Dealer order the diff but it is backordered with no projected date. He said it could be 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months.

The tech said the car is safe to drive. Anyone have any issues driving theirs with the bad diff?

Voyager989

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The service writer told me not to drive it; but they also told me it'd be 3-4 days for the part and I should have the car back before the end of the week.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Hi all! Great info from the group. Just joined the rear differential club. 2018 TourX with 19.5K miles. Dealer order the diff but it is backordered with no projected date. He said it could be 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months.

The tech said the car is safe to drive. Anyone have any issues driving theirs with the bad diff?

I didn't drive it for 7 weeks. If a diff is leaking and groaning, I don't think you should be driving on it at all. At most a couple of days, but they should have you in a rental because you are under warranty.

Crispy

Buick Ownership
TourX
2018 TourX with 15k. Build date 1/2018. Got our car in for an inspection of the leaking pinion seal and they confirmed it. The part came in 2 days later and we have booked a day for the repair.
In my experience, seals fail because the surface they’re around moves too much. Of course they also fail from improper installation, contamination or something else takes them out from the outside.
I will be keeping a close eye on this but I’m wondering what you all think the failure mode is? I have already made it known that I’m tracking other failures and want to be careful to stay within warranty. Thanks, C

bostontourx

Does anyone have a recording of the noisy diff sound?

Also, where are you seeing leak? Is it easy to spot just sliding under the car?

Crispy

Buick Ownership
TourX
Does anyone have a recording of the noisy diff sound?

Also, where are you seeing leak? Is it easy to spot just sliding under the car?
Easy to see on our car. The curved body member above the pinion shaft (driveshaft input to diff) was covered with clean shiney oil. Ours wasn’t dripping anywhere but everything within reach of the slinger (the ring that rotates with the pinion shaft outside of the diff case) was lightly coated with oil. I cleaned it off and after one 45 minute trip including some highway, the film was back. C.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
Can someone snap a few pictures describing the different components?
first photo is the pinion shaft as you would look towards the rear of the car. Second is the slinger, third is slinger removed so you can see the seal. The seal fails causing oil to reach the slinger and be thrown on the tunnel and ground.
29E21F51-79BD-4266-B77C-67F263D8BE74.jpeg
780AB293-450F-41D3-85E7-89CBB9F00C42.jpeg
F4F125CC-26C7-42F7-86EB-33694F2F10D0.jpeg

Ben Daigneault

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS

Attachments

• 502DE2EE-D512-4FE1-959D-C8AD4597AC45.png
    502DE2EE-D512-4FE1-959D-C8AD4597AC45.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
Get your turbo buick badge right here!