• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Joining the rear diff club

BenD

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
I would surmise it’s a balancing weight, similar to those used on driveshafts.
So hold on, that could be a vibration issue that I’m facing actually, not a wheels/tire. I will asked the dealer to verify if it’s still in place.

thanks!!

Dxire

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback 2019 AWD
I have a 2019 regal AWD bought in January 2020, and im at almost 22K KM and started having vibrations, it only happens on the 7th gear between 50-70 KM/H, when im on the others gears at this speed there's no vibrations, i just changed from my summer to my winter tires/mags this weekend and still the same outcome with two different types and brands of tires/mags and since the winter tires/mags were previously installed last january so i think it's safe to assume it's not a problem with the tires/wheels, now im waiting for a call back from service to confirm an appointment to get this resolved ASAP.

Crispy

Buick Ownership
TourX
Update: 2018 TourX with 15k miles, build date 1/2018. Got our car back from the dealer yesterday. Rear diff pinion seal replaced under warranty. Looks like two seals, a retainer and the slinger on the invoice. Anyone know about the two seals and how they are arranged? DC76B536-A441-4AAB-8A4B-1ABDABFFD535.jpeg

danzig997

47°40′10″N 122°7′26″W
Buick Ownership
TourX Essence with Opel Insignia DNA.
Apparently, the rear differential is a GKN Twinster torque-vectoring all-wheel drive.

Its systems can be found as OEM equipment in a range of other vehicles, including the 2017 Cadillac XT5 and Buick LaCrosse. Not just any AWD system, but a GKN Twinster system.

Using the same GKN Twinster clutched rear axle as Ford’s Focus RS hot hatch, various Land Rover products, and Lincoln’s sportiest MKZ variant, the all-wheel-drive Regal’s nasty-weather capabilities may come with more athleticism thanks to its ability to direct torque to individual rear wheels to help power through corners. Every all-wheel-drive Regal—including the wagon—will have the feature.

• Genuine:
    SKU: 84535725
  • Other Names:Carrier
  • Description:
    Regal Sportback. Regal TourX. LaCrosse. With awd.
  • Condition:New
  • Replaces: 84220317

1606338719829.png

1606339183396.png

1606339208022.png

Last edited:

Dxire

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback 2019 AWD
I have a 2019 regal AWD bought in January 2020, and im at almost 22K KM and started having vibrations, it only happens on the 7th gear between 50-70 KM/H, when im on the others gears at this speed there's no vibrations, i just changed from my summer to my winter tires/mags this weekend and still the same outcome with two different types and brands of tires/mags and since the winter tires/mags were previously installed last january so i think it's safe to assume it's not a problem with the tires/wheels, now im waiting for a call back from service to confirm an appointment to get this resolved ASAP.
I just got a call back from Buick and I got an appt. to get this looked at and hopefully they will find and can resolve the problem on Monday.

Dxire

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback 2019 AWD
I drove my car from January 2020 to July 2020 without any issues with both summer/winters wheels but this started in August and my first visit at Buick where I was told there's no issues and that all is OK.

So this is the 2nd Buick dealership I went to, they test drove it and they say they did feel a bit of a vibration but says this is normal with these transmissions and to come back when its colder so they can do another test drive and hopefully find the issue…I owned 2 Chevrolet Cruze 14 & 17 before this car and never had any issues and now that I upgraded I have to drive a car that's worth 45K that vibrates on cruise control from 50 to 70 KM/H but they are telling me it's normal???????

I have been looking at new cars and I think I bought my car at a good time though, tell me where you can get a car like this with enough cargo space AWD and with 250HP for this price and of this quality also (let's just say minus the vibrations) but at highway speeds or lower speed than 60 I have no problems what so ever which i find weird but im not a car mechanic - I have a new colleague that has a 2014 regal and after 5 years he says it started having vibrations and the dealer didn't find anything and he went back to Buick and asked for an oïl change for the transmission and apparently there was small pieces of metal in there from the rear diff. that was causing the vibrations so I am maybe thinking of doing the same but then again, his model wasn't AWD so im just wondering if this could be the same type of issue?

Crispy

Buick Ownership
TourX
I guess this is the best place to start this discussion rather than start a new thread... My story starts at post #61 above.

What about Root Cause? Does anyone have an idea why these seals are failing? Our job went fine. The seal(s) came in in two days, we dropped the car and it was fixed in a day under warranty. I’m happy to have fresh diff lube in the rear at 15k. Great but now what? I’m a backyard mechanic, manufacturing engineer and general gear head. I’ve probably installed 20 seals in the last 45 years in everything from gearboxes and engines to washing machines, boats and cars... They usually failed for a reason. I’m a little nervous about this. I will be watching closely. The dealer was a little snarky when I asked if they knew anything about “why”. They said the mechanic nor anyone else would know the answer to that. I asked if there was anything from the manufacturer speaking to this and the service person said no.
Does anyone know if there is a department I could reach out to and ask about this?
I haven’t looked under the car yet. My plan is to get under there and get it spotless so I can tell if it continues. I don’t mind but not everyone is in that camp.
I will certainly update here. Ideas...? Thanks, C.

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Buick Ownership
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
^^^Bad engineering, bad part, who knows?

If anyone has spare time they could troll the Focus RS or MB CLA45 forums to see if they are having similar issues as it’s the same differential.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
Cliff:
turns out out of state dealer had it in stock, took several calls to them and to my dealer to finally make the part transfer happen.

My dealer tells me the rear diff seal part number 232699748 is out of stock nationwide and no ETA.
I call several dealers in the area to see if they have it in stock or can order it. One parts person I spoke with was kind enough to tell me 3 dealers have it.
I called the first two and the parts were spoke for for another customer, the third one would not return my calls.

Fast forward to the next day, and one of the dealers called me back saying they have the part and don't need it anymore (I guess maybe that car got the entire rear diff replaced) and says he's willing to make it available.

I called my local dealer right away and give them the out of state dealer info.
Later in the day my dealer calls me back and says no one has it blah blah blah.
So again I call the nice dealer out of state and talk to the parts person there and they say yes, they will work with me to get it to the dealer my car is at. I again call my dealer and explain, and give the agent the contact info for the out of state dealer.

I called back the parts person at the out of state dealer thanking them as I think they did above and beyond and that I really appreciate their help and their reply was a humble "That's what we are here for".
I called back and left a voicemail with their parts manager as I feel that person really did great.

brand213

Buick Ownership
TourX
Anymore details on the sound ?
hummming ? buzzing? clicking?
What should I be listening for ?

Endothrow

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
2019 TourX Essence
Great thread.
2019, TourX Essence, 12k miles
Just wanted to share that since about 10k miles, I have noticed a slight vibration while under power at cruising speed (60-80mph). I had assumed that it was the rear drive shaft, since that where I was getting the slight vibrations. Annoying for a new car, but not a dealbreaker on driveability whatsoever.
I considered swapping fluid, but since mentioned, will use the GM recommended fill vs. the Amsoil I ordered. I was under it a few weeks ago installing a bike hitch and didn't notice any dampness in or around the seals, diff box or frame.

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Well, it looks like I'm renewing my membership in the Rear Diff. Club for '21. Noticed last month mine was seeping again, had it replaced last Aug. Have appt. next week to take it in again. The first replacement lasted about 3500 miles. Now have 12K on the car.

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Well, it looks like I'm renewing my membership in the Rear Diff. Club for '21. Noticed last month mine was seeping again, had it replaced last Aug. Have appt. next week to take it in again. The first replacement lasted about 3500 miles. Now have 12K on the car.
What's going through your head as far as possible causes?

I have to imagine it's only a bad seal, a poor installation, or something else forward of the diff causing the issue to reoccur. Having two diffs go out/leak in such a short service life is odd.

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
What's going through your head as far as possible causes?

I have to imagine it's only a bad seal, a poor installation, or something else forward of the diff causing the issue to reoccur. Having two diffs go out/leak in such a short service life is odd.
Well, there are only four choices, bad seal, bad installation, bad machining on the diff. or something from the first replacement needs retorquing. Still under warranty so not too worried. I'll post update after I get the car back. Take it in Tuesday, Jan. 12th.

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Had my appt. this morning. They called back this afternoon and said will replace seal again but seal is backordered. No ETA. Service Advisor said she will call in some special number tomorrow to try and get idea for ETA but didn't sound too hopeful. I have a loaner car, brand new (7 miles) Equinox LT.

Andres2327

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Same here. My car is at the dealer since late December. No ETA.

-diff. seal
-control arms
-oil leak

Do I own a lemon?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!