• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Joining the rear diff club

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
For those of you who had the leak:

What tools/process do you recommend to use/do to clean the remains of the leak from the differential and the chassis?

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Just picked my up TourX today (Monday 1-18), it was ready Friday but worked this weekend and couldn't pick it up. Hopefully this seal will do the job.

sip

Hi all,
I'm looking into purchasing a TourX. I test drove one with about 22k on it and at about 75mph I could hear a bit of a vibration from the back. That brought me to you guys and the differential problem.
The salesman states that the 6 year 70,000 drivetrain warranty covers the differential but when I go the website it doesn't show the parts included, only states internally lubricated parts. I assume the fluid in the dif would include this, but when I engage the chat function, the operator told me difs are not included.
Do you have any idea if the dif is included in the drivetrain warranty?

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
I assume the fluid in the dif would include this, but when I engage the chat function, the operator told me difs are not included.
Do you have any idea if the dif is included in the drivetrain warranty?

Fluid isn't going to be a part that is warrantied. It's a serviceable item, like an oil change. BUT if something was wrong with the diff, for example, the seal was bad and it was leaking and low on fluid causing the groan, then they would replace the hard part/put new fluid in/and do the work warrantied.

If you just wanted them to change diff fluid because you want it done as routine maintenance, not covered.

sip

Fluid isn't going to be a part that is warrantied. It's a serviceable item, like an oil change. BUT if something was wrong with the diff, for example, the seal was bad and it was leaking and low on fluid causing the groan, then they would replace the hard part/put new fluid in/and do the work warrantied.

If you just wanted them to change diff fluid because you want it done as routine maintenance, not covered.
Sorry. Might a been confusing. The info I could read only stated that 'internally lubricated items' are covered under the warranty. There is no direct mention of the differential on the warranty info website. But since the dif is 'internally lubricated' I presume that means the dif itself is part of the drivertrain warranty for 70,000 miles. Am i mistaken to think that? Do you as owners, see anything in your warranty info included with the car that specifically states the dif is or isn't included in the warranty?

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx
Wellllll, my second seal replacement lasted a bit over 200 miles. The dealer is keeping the car and will have the "district engineer" come look at it, hopefully in a day or two. Back in a loaner. Although this car ticks all the boxes for my car needs, I'm not feeling confident about this Buick and may just dump it when they get it fixed again and buy something else. I'll have to wait and reason this out some and not make a hasty decision.

94cruiser

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
not yet
What would you say if you saw this hack job after a diff. seal replacement?

Is this JB Weld? Is it hiding a larger dent, puncture, or hole?

Found a small spot of gear oil in one spot on the black part. Enough to dirty up two fingers. Believe it was not fully cleaned during the repair.

Attachments

• IMG_9975.JPG
    IMG_9975.JPG
    290.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9973.JPG
    IMG_9973.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 21

jdoodle

Sustaining Member
Texas
Buick Ownership
2018 regal tourx

Found a small spot of gear oil in one spot on the black part. Enough to dirty up two fingers. Believe it was not fully cleaned during the repair.
94, don't know what you have there. After my first seal replacement at about 8K the rear diff was clean and looked okay. At about 12K I noticed a spot on my driveway and looking under the car saw the rear diff with a light coating of oil on the left side. They replaced the seal again and a couple of days later saw spot on my driveway reappeared and I took it back and now am awaiting a pronouncement from the "district engineer" (I don't recall his official title) and am expecting a rear diff replacement as others here have received. I bought the TourX because my 16 year old Mazda wagon was needing repairs about once a month and just got tired of it plus the worrying of an imminent breakdown. Back in the same boat.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence

That looks like factory undercoating overspray to me.

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
Wellllll, my second seal replacement lasted a bit over 200 miles. The dealer is keeping the car and will have the "district engineer" come look at it, hopefully in a day or two. Back in a loaner. Although this car ticks all the boxes for my car needs, I'm not feeling confident about this Buick and may just dump it when they get it fixed again and buy something else. I'll have to wait and reason this out some and not make a hasty decision.

My dealership said that the seal was NOT serviceable, and the whole diff needed to be replaced in order to do the repair properly. Maybe it didn't last because it's actually not supposed to just be a seal change?

Get your turbo buick badge right here!