• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Sunroof/Sun Shade problems?

DonnaEH

Buick Ownership
2010 LaCross CXS
Hello, everyone. I own a 2011 Lacrosse. The sunroof began acting up today. When I go to close it, it tilts/pops back open again. Each time you go to close it, it tilts/pops back open again.

Also, sunroof/sun shade will not fully close any more. It will only close half way.

Yes, I will be taking it back to the dealer for service, just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and what they found? Thanks.

I have a 2010 - bought it new - the other day my shade failed to close all the way. It's hot and sunny where I live. Hate the heat and sun pouring in.

Rich B.

Minot, ME
Buick Ownership
2016 LaCrosse & 2013 Boss 302 Mustang
Posts go back a few years. Sounds like a reprogram is in order for open/close limits (only what I know from here). My Boss Mustang however lowers and raIses door glass maybe 1/2" to release and seal gaskets each time it's open-closed (no upper door frame). This feature can get jumbled and relearn is required (note photo, shows what I'm saying).image.jpeg

Last edited:

Mad*Max

Toronto
Buick Ownership
2010 LaCrosse CXS, 2019 Corvette Stingray, 2018 Cadillac ATS AWD
my problem is that when I hit the button to close the shade it does, however, when it hits the fully shut position it reels back several inches and then stops again

Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Lacrosse
I think I locked the sunroof, with the initial procedure. it worked for the shade. I can still control it. but its more of a manual control where if I hold the button on the 1st indent the shade open and closes, but the roof wont open. I tried the first indent option on the roof. fowards and backwards. No results. has anyone removed the fuse or battery to see if it works.

jay52

Buick Ownership
2009 buick lucerne super
i have a 2009 buick lucerne super. does anyone know how to use the switches to re-program my sunroof? i guess the procedure for this year/model is different from the other solutions because i have a switch for sliding and a switch for tilt. no switch for sunshade which slides automatically when sliding side is used. anyway my problem is similar to others--tries to close then reverses and sticks in partially open position. thx

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
You may want to check / post under the Lucerne fourm and check the Cadillac DTS fourm as it's similar in funtions.

G-50265

Sorry guys I thought it would be faster to just email me, I haven't been on the board since my last post. I'm not an owner, my interest is only the sunroof.

There are multiple issues that could come up with the sunroof that I might be able to help with so let me know the details of what you are experiencing.

It seems the most common issue in warranty is the roller blind only wanting to close half way. In this case you need to reset the GLASS motor.

Steps are:
With the glass panel in the closed position, hold the glass button in the close direction only to the first detent (first dent is about half way, if you press the button all the way in it won't work). Hold the button at the first detent for 15 seconds, the glass motor should reset.

Now try to close the blind with that button and it should work normally.
This worked perfectly

jay52

Buick Ownership
2009 buick lucerne super
This worked perfectly
Sorry guys I thought it would be faster to just email me, I haven't been on the board since my last post. I'm not an owner, my interest is only the sunroof.

There are multiple issues that could come up with the sunroof that I might be able to help with so let me know the details of what you are experiencing.

It seems the most common issue in warranty is the roller blind only wanting to close half way. In this case you need to reset the GLASS motor.

Steps are:
With the glass panel in the closed position, hold the glass button in the close direction only to the first detent (first dent is about half way, if you press the button all the way in it won't work). Hold the button at the first detent for 15 seconds, the glass motor should reset.

hello. sorry to be so ignorant about this process, but i have a few questions. first, does this same procedure work for a 2009 lucerne? i have one switch for the glass open/close and one switch for the tilt open/close. when working normally, the shade opens with the glass opening but i have always had to manually close it after the glass closed by the switch. the owner's manual says nothing about a first and second detent so it is not something i am familiar with. i'm surprised i haven't had a problem before now!

second, if i can't get it closed using the first detent, will i be stuck with it halfway open or is there a manual way to close it? i had to push the glass closed the last time it closed and then reversed to halfway open and i have been leery of opening it since! i don't want to force it like i did before and cause worse problems--i was surprised it closed with me pushing the glass along.

i asked the dealer about reprogramming it and they said they don't know of a way to reprogram it which i found to be odd. they will likely want to replace it and i don't plan to pay $500 or more for that so i may be stuck without the use of the sunroof.

thx for your reply.

G-184161

Steps are:

Dude!! That worked!! I thought i was going to have to replace the motor but just tried this and it worked...Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Renee P.

Buick Ownership
2017 Envision
I have a 2017 Envision and I can't close the sun roof. Any suggestions? I can't find anything in the owner's manual about which fuse might control it so I haven't been able to check that first.

G-132188

Steps are:

This worked so fast thank you so much for sharing and saving us money

Taye23

Buick Ownership
Lacrosse cxs
Hello, everyone. I own a 2011 Lacrosse. The sunroof began acting up today. When I go to close it, it tilts/pops back open again. Each time you go to close it, it tilts/pops back open again.

Also, sunroof/sun shade will not fully close any more. It will only close half way.

Yes, I will be taking it back to the dealer for service, just wondering if anyone had a similar problem and what they found? Thanks.
Minds the the same thing start yesterday

G-200485

For an 8 year old car I can live without this working, I just manually close it and looks perfectly fine!!! Thanks for the info.
How do you manually close it? I see the tabs to slide on each side but even when I pull them both as far as they go on both sides at the same time the window will not close.

Pedal Commander