• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

The Ultimate Buick Regal Is Discontinued Discussion

AcuraT

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Envision
Don't see myself buying GM in the future - won't buy a Chevy car, and not interested in an unreliable Cadillac car either. The Buick was the only brand I was willing to consider and with it gone, probably will look at Kia/Genesis or Lexus cars. Already own a Buick Envision and an older Subaru Legacy, so have no problem leaving GM again if they don't have something I am interested in.

liuby33

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
This is my first car and my last GM. Honestly I might have been happier if I bought a Golf R or Kia Stinger GT, because I think those two companies are at least further away from death. I am happy enough with this car to not regret the purchase - I don't feel the same about GM.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I'll jump on the bandwagon and also say this my last GM. Back to Honda & Toyota I go. TourX has been great (for the most part) but feeling deserted by GM and worried about part availability in the future.

JenkkiMike

I'll jump on the bandwagon and also say this my last GM. Back to Honda & Toyota I go. TourX has been great (for the most part) but feeling deserted by GM and worried about part availability in the future.

I'm still waiting on my Tour X after a mid-October accident. My body shop only recently received enough of the critical components to START working on the repair, although they have not received everything to complete it yet. I feel very lucky that the other driver in the accident was at fault and my rental has been covered all of this time. If I were at fault, my rental coverage would have ran out a long time ago and I'd still be waiting on my car. If that had been the case, it would definitely have worked out to be cheaper to buy some cheap crapbox car instead of renting. When I do eventually get my car back, I am going to be fearful of fender benders or hit and runs in parking lots that will leave me without my car for half a year while it waits on parts.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
As some smartass said of the Areton wagon, if you can't sell 500 Areton's a month, how is the wagon going to make things "BETTER"?

Although I also think that the Areton has the same problem as the Regal Sportback/TourX, the parent company doesn't seem to want anybody to know it exists. I'm only aware of the Areton because of the YouTube auto-journos who got one to drive.

If GM Authority was correct in stating that TourX buyers had a higher household income than any other Buick customers then it's a shame that GM has no idea how to keep that customer around. It also says to me that there is some sort of market there for a wagon with premium features that ISN'T a $10K more expensive Volvo or Audi.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Said before and I'll say again..the failure of the TourX wasn't due to lack of a market--it was due to piss poor marketing. GM/Buick never knew what the TourX was...much less how to market it. It was too expensive and didn't have the off road chops to compete with an Outback. Body cladding aside it was really an on road wagon with awd. It matches up better as a cheaper Volvo, BMW or perhaps Audi wagon--yet GM never went after this customers. In the very scarce marketing GM tried to pass it off as a utility wagon/crossover which it is not.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Said before and I'll say again..the failure of the TourX wasn't due to lack of a market--it was due to piss poor marketing. GM/Buick never knew what the TourX was...much less how to market it.
I agree 100% marketing on these were awful. But I can't really blame them for not marketing it either.

Even if these Regals were marketing successes, the car was doomed from the beginning upon the announcement of the PSA deal. Our cars' factory, which was now owned by a competing company, wasn't going to support expanding the business for a GM brand for long.

So then why not move production to China where they are currently building a very similar sedan version? I suspect the timing of the US/China tariff squelched that option quickly as there was (and still is) no resolution.

It simply wouldn't have made good business sense to throw marketing dollars towards this line.

It also didn't help that a potential buyer could easily research and find that these cars were frequently selling for $11k (and more) off MSRP. These prices devalued public perception of our cars which also forces GM to abandon the nameplate until they can prove to us that a new version is a different and improved product. (I personally don't think this is the last we'll hear of the Regal)

@PrincipalDan highlights the fact that the car was associated with higher income..but I'd also like to add that shown in our informal poll, Regal buyers are also YOUNGER. Unfortunately for GM, we collectively, are the exact demographic they are pursuing.

Someone wrote here that our wagon should reincarnate as a Malibu. I don't think it's that bad of an idea, but I'm sure it's design will lose the European driving manners and its charm, which I've come to love with my TourX. So count me out on that one too.

AcuraT

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Envision
Parts won't be a problem. Opel (now part of Peugot that makes the car) plans to continue making the car as it is still selling in Europe. GM will still sell it in China where it also sells in volume. So parts will continue to be made and shipped to the USA for quite some time as the car itself is not being discontinued, just discontinued in the USA.

JORDANSILVERNAIL

HOUSTON, TX
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal GS, 2014 Regal GS
Parts won't be a problem. Opel (now part of Peugot that makes the car) plans to continue making the car as it is still selling in Europe. GM will still sell it in China where it also sells in volume. So parts will continue to be made and shipped to the USA for quite some time as the car itself is not being discontinued, just discontinued in the USA.
i feel like im the only one not freaking out about it sometimes. these parts will be available for quite some time. Also, all the Regals that i have written up for collision repairs have gotten parts and back on the road in a timely manner. I'm curious why some folks are being told they cant get the parts when i have yet to run into that issue with my customers Regals. I personally was rear ended in my GS and my rear fascia and all other parts came in lickity-split and had my car back in 3 weeks. Parts all arrived in 3-5 days. after that i was just waiting for the body shop to actually DO the work. Maybe im just the luckiest man alive and should play the lottery.

Buick Ownership
1996 Buick Park Avenue 2020 Buick Regal Sportback Essence
3 to 6 weeks seems like a standard repair time anymore in the industry with more and more dealerships closing their body shops and cars becoming more complicated.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
It might be my last Buick unless they make another car someday or if I buy new Regal GS or a second TourX (that'd have to happen soon, I guess). However, I haven't discounted buying another GM altogether. I'm not old enough to drive a 'vette, lol, but like some of what Cadillac is putting out now and has put out the past few years as far as their cars. If I did it I'd probably go with a lightly used one off lease or early trade in just from a money standpoint.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I'm really digging the VW electric wagon id VW can get its reliability under control. Also possibly the fusion wagon thing if Ford doesn't make it too dorky looking(i.e. jack it up on stilts). First reviews of the new Outback have not been great and it just looks a little off to me. Plus the last two subies I had (both hand me down used) did not impress.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
I was just at the 2020 Chicago Auto Show this week. The Buick stand was nothing but vehicles that start with an "E". I asked about the Regal, the representative said the 2020 Regal was still available but Buick decided to feature the new Encore GX instead of bringing any Regal models. There was plenty of floor space available for a TourX, GS, and Sportback as the booth was the same size as last year but they have less to show. Pretty sad.

Here's the new Encore GX, excuse the off-topic:
Chicago_Auto_Show_MMXX_199.jpg Chicago_Auto_Show_MMXX_200.jpg Chicago_Auto_Show_MMXX_203.jpg Chicago_Auto_Show_MMXX_202.jpg

While at the Cadillac display, I sat in the CT5 and CT4 sedans. The CT5 would probably be closest to the Regal sedan market, but the rear seat in the CT5 was a joke. Where the Regal Sportback has headroom and legroom behind a 6-foot driver, this CT5 was next to impossible to get in to, sit in, and get out of for another 6-foot adult. The CT6 is much, much better, but it's more money.

Nope, I think GM has made their decision in the North American market and it's Trucks, SUVs, and Crossovers. Meanwhile, Genesis and Kia have very nice, well-designed sedans if you're looking for the traditional "American" luxury sedan.

Last edited:

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I was just at the 2020 Chicago Auto Show this week. The Buick stand was nothing but vehicles that start with an "E". I asked about the Regal, the representative said the 2020 Regal was still available but Buick decided to feature the new Encore GX instead of bringing any Regal models. There was plenty of floor space available for a TourX, GS, and Sportback as the booth was the same size as last year but they have less to show. Pretty sad.

Here's the new Encore GX, excuse the off-topic:

While at the Cadillac display, I sat in the CT5 and CT4 sedans. The CT5 would probably be closest to the Regal sedan market, but the rear seat in the CT5 was a joke. Where the Regal Sportback has headroom and legroom behind a 6-foot driver, this CT5 was next to impossible to get in to, sit in, and get out of for another 6-foot adult. The CT6 is much, much better, but it's more money.

Nope, I think GM has made their decision in the North American market and it's Trucks, SUVs, and Crossovers. Meanwhile, Genesis and Kia have very nice, well-designed sedans if you're looking for the traditional "American" luxury sedan.
I've been waiting to see what Genesis' CPO program looks like (they are supposed to get a program that is distinct from Hyundai but I've been wondering what the details will be.) The Kia Cadenza is the best FWD Lesabre that Buick never built.

I'm still intrigued by the upcoming Sonata N-line.

Turbo Buick Badge