• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

The Ultimate Buick Regal Is Discontinued Discussion

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
The American consumer wants to buy?
Did the automakers even try?
The automakers know that they can charge more for a SUV/crossover and marketed them that way for their bottom line.
Remember the SUV boom in the early 90's?

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
While I'm sad the Regal is discontinued I am undaunted. They only built the Magnum for three years and they are still prowling the streets over a decade later. I still see Oldsmobiles and Pontiacs, in fact, my daughter got a great deal on her Grand Prix because folks tend to avoid a car after they hear its been ended. This country is drunk on SUVs, like a crazy drug addiction and who knows how long the trend will last? But I am still wide-eyed at the prospect of landing a TourX because a sexy wagon is a rare thing these days. I know I'm in a minority in many ways loving wagons and cars but every time I go to a cruise-in or Cars & Coffee, I see people taking pictures of cars that defied time and trend, kept alive by owners that loved them no matter what. I'm happy to be aiming for that kind of goal.
(As a matter of fact, I ordered a new personalized license plate today that will go on my Escape for now and be transferred to my new car later):cool:

x10003q

Buick Ownership
2019 GS
This SUV 'craze' is all about car manufacturers not having to follow more stringent rules for passenger cars vs "off-road" capable vehicles. "Off-road" vehicles can have less safety features and lower gas mileage numbers.

From the Road and Track article:
"But why would a manufacturer destroy a car’s front-end looks just to be classified as an off-road capable vehicle? Simple. Remember, off-road vehicles are a subset of non- passenger automobiles, all of which are a subset of a group called “light-duty vehicles.” Since, as defined, these vehicles aren’t meant to carry humans, they’re subject to less stringent safety regulations that help ensure they can perform their farm and hauling duties. They’re also permitted to pollute more. And importantly, they’re allowed to burn more fuel.

Since 2011, each vehicle’s fuel-economy target is based on its footprint (a multiple of track width and wheelbase length). Subaru could do nothing other than put a lift kit on an Impreza wagon so that it meets four of the five off-road requirements, and voila! The resulting Crosstrek is now a non-passenger-vehicle and given extra credit on the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, or CAFE, test."

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Opel Insignia Country Tourer with Buick steering wheel, HMI and floor mats
The crazy thing is 99% of " off road capable" SUV will never go off road. In fact - these vehicles are just commuters for one person and most likely never see people on the back seats and loaded cargo areas.
Like Jeremy Clarkson said: " it is like wearing a condom all the time, just to be ready to have sex one day".

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Last night, watching television, I saw an ad for a fairly handsome looking station wagon. Turns out it's a Lincoln Corsair. I'm not going to buy one, but I'm curious so I went to Lincoln's website. There, they prominently label it as a "crossover" because, as we all sadly know, in today's market if it ain't a SUV/crossover or truck then it's not for sale.

Hahah. That's not a crossover, and, apart from the label, Lincoln makes zero attempt to market it as such. The admen aren't telling you that thing is taking you to the trailhead with kayaks on the roof. It's a car.

Good for Lincoln for making such a thing, and how sad Buick has forsaken all cars in favor of tinkertoy SUVs.

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
Sorry but the Corsair is a glorified Ford Escape. The new Escape introduced a year or so ago sports a lower roofline than its previous version but is still very much a crossover. The Corsair’s larger wheels on low profile tires give it a lower look and probably does have lower ride height than the Escape but a wagon it ain’t. I have the previous gen Escape and while a good vehicle definitely doesn’t behave like a car...or haul as much as TourX would.

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
Sorry but the Corsair is a glorified Ford Escape. The new Escape introduced a year or so ago sports a lower roofline than its previous version but is still very much a crossover. The Corsair’s larger wheels on low profile tires give it a lower look and probably does have lower ride height than the Escape but a wagon it ain’t. I have the previous gen Escape and while a good vehicle definitely doesn’t behave like a car...or haul as much as TourX would.

Fair enough. Curious that someone would make a crossover and then market it as a car. Why not just make a car? I take your points re: the lower roofline, etc.

I watch all this with a certain wry amusement. I am old enough to remember my (British) Dad towing a 17 foot caravan (RV) around a muddy campsite that was a glorified farmer's field, with nothing more than a Volvo 244 DL sedan. Nothing terrible happened, the Volvo seemed to handle the job just fine. The whole SUV/crossover craze strikes me as being, 90% of the time, a questionable solution in search of a non-existent problem.

I admit to being a trifle irritated by all of it, which probably means I shouldn't loiter in threads like this. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm sure there are millions of delighted customers, but God, crossovers and pretend-SUVs are hideous to be behold. I polish up my old LaCrosse, and even though it's only an old LaCrosse, its styling is quite attractive. It's an excellent car. I'm sorry Buick got out of the car industry, and I think their limited range of little SUVs may end up being their company epitaph (in the US).

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I’m with you all the way on the folly of cars being abandoned. Honda and Toyota surely haven’t thrown in the towel. I get some folks in tough locations want the ground clearance and some with physical ailments like the higher seat for egress, but most I fear are under an illusion of greater safety. Others still see a wagon as their grandad’s woodsided land barge. I have to wonder how long this crazy trend will last? I often think the EV movement with aero as such a big factor will drive things lower again? Totally agree it’s awfully hard to make a useful shoebox look sleek. Sadly the TourX is a prime example of a great mix of both, shunned and poorly marketed from the start.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
Could be worse if minivans were the rage again, LOL
08-1989-Plymouth-Voyager-III-Concept.jpg

Arthur_Davies

A Regular
Buick Ownership
2006 Lacrosse CX
I actually dislike minivans far less than crossovers, although I have zero desire to ever own one.

A minivan actually has a purpose, and meets that purpose. If you have a large family, then yes, a minivan could make sense. It does what it was designed to do - to transport several people in one vehicle while allowing them adequate space within that vehicle. A crossover, on the other hand, seems to exist to encourage people who mostly drive to the mall or office to believe that they now have the means to lead an expedition across the Arctic cordillera next weekend, should they so wish.

Happily, I'm a grumpy middle-aged man with no offspring to haul around. Hence I have no use for a mini-van. I have no use for a crossover either, but if I go to buy a new car my choices are not mostly limited to minivans, hence another reason for disliking those less. If you want to drive your 7 kids around in a modified Transit van, more power to you.

I think I have reached the decision to splash out on a new Hyundai Sonata; I've been mulling it over for quite some time. I want a new sedan, and I want it to last a good long while. I am going to hang on to my old Buick LaCrosse because I like it and it feels like the end of its line. To some, the last of the dinosaurs, to me, the end of the big American v6 sedans (which, I appreciate, may well be the same thing). It eats no meat, was paid off eons ago, is cheap to insure and cheap to maintain, especially as it will be doing very little mileage. It deserves its place in my garage.

Idano

Buick Ownership
Preferred Red Needle TourX
This thread has been very instructive. 21 pages of people claiming that the only reason auto manufacturers don't offer up Station Wagons is because they want to force people into buying SUVs and CUVs. The fact that GM offered discounts up to 35% percent off MSRP in late 2019 to get the 2018 TourX off the dealers lots doesn't phase them one bit.

x10003q

Buick Ownership
2019 GS
This thread has been very instructive. 21 pages of people claiming that the only reason auto manufacturers don't offer up Station Wagons is because they want to force people into buying SUVs and CUVs. The fact that GM offered discounts up to 35% percent off MSRP in late 2019 to get the 2018 TourX off the dealers lots doesn't phase them one bit.
The reason for the push to SUV/CUV is manufacturers make more money because the rules allow them to avoid classifying these vehicles as passenger vehicles. They can have lower safety standards and lower gas mileage. Higher profit is the reason for dropping cars. If these vehicles had to have the same standards as passenger vehicles this never would have happened. As we all have seen, GM never marketed the Regals beyond the absolute minimums.

Along with less safety equipment and crap gas mileage, they are loud with the open hatch area, they handle like crap, and there are tons of people driving them with useless AWD in areas that never get snow and or never go off road. Remember when Americans would not buy hatchbacks? Every one of these things is a lifted hatchback.

Last edited:

Ghosthawk

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Buick Ownership
Shopping
I’m of the opinion that if they offered the wagon for what it is and stop trying to market everything as a crossover it would make a huge difference. Dodge sells performance oriented cars and one SUV they try mightily to make people think it’s also a performance car. Dodge also sells way more 6cyl “lookers” than they do actual pavement monsters but the image is everything. If GM had offered the Regal wagon in GS trim (and power) the reaction would’ve been a good deal different. I don’t see Dodge, Honda or Toyota abandoning cars altogether. Ford and GM simply don’t want to build something unless it sells 500k units a year. Not everything will be that kind of success. Never has, never will.

x10003q

Buick Ownership
2019 GS
I’m of the opinion that if they offered the wagon for what it is and stop trying to market everything as a crossover it would make a huge difference. Dodge sells performance oriented cars and one SUV they try mightily to make people think it’s also a performance car. Dodge also sells way more 6cyl “lookers” than they do actual pavement monsters but the image is everything. If GM had offered the Regal wagon in GS trim (and power) the reaction would’ve been a good deal different. I don’t see Dodge, Honda or Toyota abandoning cars altogether. Ford and GM simply don’t want to build something unless it sells 500k units a year. Not everything will be that kind of success. Never has, never will.
This.
It is not like the uncladded Opel wagon does not exist - they sell it. All they had to do was bring it over. If the wagon came as a GS I would have bought it.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
speaking of Dodge, I thought this was a fun read. Imagine a modern Magnum wagon (which is illustrated here) with a hellcat...not sure I would buy one - but dang if it doesn’t get my attention...

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
You can probably either blame it on or thank the person/group who decided to sell the idea of the cladded TourX (and not any other version) to GM management as an adventure vehicle to steal sales away from the well selling Outback. That's how it was initially introduced with press photos of the TourX in the woods or by the lake with kayaks on the roof and driving down gravel roads. It would be interesting to talk to someone in the know. The sedan/sportback most likely was a given but I could see that there'd have been some resistance at some level to bringing the wagon version over in any form.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!