Wireless Charging

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Might have to remove the front cupholder or other parts, but they should be held in with screws.

I had no idea that middle cup holder is cooled.

Attachments

Last edited:

2018TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Might have to remove the front cupholder or other parts, but they should be held in with screws.

I had no idea that middle cup holder is cooled.
BahamaTodd, where did you find this pics? I am well into an attempt to remove the center console and so far have been unsuccessful.

2018TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Well I got the old Gen I charger out. I am awaiting the new unit to arrive, hopefully today. Getting it out was a nightmare. Putting it back in is going to be worse, except at least I know what has to be done now. See the previous pictures in this post; I released the transmission control lever boot bezel at the top and disconnected the electrical connector. This allowed me to pull the control lever boot bezel "up" over the shift handle (handle was not removed), reversing the boot inside out. Next I released the front floor console trim plate and completely moved it out of the way by fishing the control lever boot bezel thru the trim plate. Next I released the rear center console cup holder (a real pain). FYI - this cup holder is NOT Cooled. This gave me visible and barely finger / tool access to the four screws holding the Gen I wireless charger in place. Using 1/4" drive tools, I was able to remove these four screws and then the charger. What is really going to be difficult is reinstalling these four screws. I'll let you know how its goes after I receive the Gen II charger. Too bad a $40K GM doesn't work right when you buy it. Wooly

Last edited:

2018TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Has anyone had the new charger put in? I have an iPhone Xs and the bulletin information isn't clear if the new charger applies to the Regal.
Yes, the Gen II wireless changers work with my Apple I-Phone 8!! I've installed the Gen II in both my 2018 TourX and my 2017 Silverado. Wireless chargers work in both vehicles now. Silverado was a piece of pie too install. The Buick was another Freddy Kruger movie, nightmare on my street.

2018TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Thank you for taking the plunge. Do you think you can take some photos to document this? Would be very helpful for others to see where the difficult steps are.
Sorry, I've already done the work and did not take photos. If you follow my written instructions and use the previously posted pics, its fairly straight forward EXCEPT getting the four screws in and out. I used a 1/4" swivel on a 1/4" socket on the "star" driver (not sure what they are called but fits the screws head) and a 1/4" extension to get the 1/4" ratchet wrench out of the console to turn the screws. I also fixed the star driver on the socket with a piece of electrical tape. Do not loose the screws or tools into the console. I used a small extension magnet to hold and remove the screws when they were getting loose. Putting them back in was not that bad; I started them with my fingers, then used the above tools to HAND tighten. these screws are going into plastic, which can be easily stripped. The phone charging started immediately when I started the engine. COOL!!!