2011 + Regal and GS Typical Concerns

Hello rook785 and eminelo,

I am sorry to hear of this rattle that has developed in your vehicles! If you would like to have a one of our technicians at a local dealership diagnose the concern, please let us know. We are happy to help!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

rook785

Hollywood
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Hello rook785 and eminelo,

I am sorry to hear of this rattle that has developed in your vehicles! If you would like to have a one of our technicians at a local dealership diagnose the concern, please let us know. We are happy to help!

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

It's a rattle of a plastic part... don't see any reason to get a technician involved. I just need to duct tape it.

SciHobo

Buick Newbie
Iowa
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal Base
Hey, for people like me, could you post links to common interior creak/rattle fixes in here?

I know people have talked about the Center Console, the Door Panels, the part below the seat belt adjuster, etc.

These are threads I've found:
http://buickforums.com/forums/threa...f-squeaks-and-rattles!?highlight=regal+rattle
http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/31624-Rattles-and-Fixes?highlight=regal+rattle
http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/26243-Rattle-in-door-panels?highlight=regal+rattle

I'm specifically looking for something on the steering wheel though. The fake metal trim and the horrible, awful, nearly caused me NOT to buy the car in the first place, cheap black satin trim pieces on the steering wheel. The steering wheel was even called out in a review as specifically awful because of these (http://www.autoblog.com/2010/11/11/2011-buick-regal-cxl-review-road-test/).

I'm not sure how GM would allow such terrible trim pieces on the steering wheel of a $30k plus car for more than a year as they are in my 2013 Regal.

cmgww

Indianapolis
Buick Ownership
Buick, Pontiac, GMC
Is there any way to override the day/night function on the nav/radio screen? It is too dark when the sensor detects that it's time to turn the headlights on. Friday was a nice sunny evening, and lights kick on and the screen dimmed, and I could barely read it. Once it got completely dark it was fine...but during the evening hours it's really annoying.

Thread starter #47

DonRican

Buick Ownership
2012 GS
Is there any way to override the day/night function on the nav/radio screen? It is too dark when the sensor detects that it's time to turn the headlights on. Friday was a nice sunny evening, and lights kick on and the screen dimmed, and I could barely read it. Once it got completely dark it was fine...but during the evening hours it's really annoying.
This thread is for resolutions or workarounds to well known issues. You would be better off creating a new thread for your issue. After it is resolved you can post it here.

DELAWARE
Buick Ownership
2012 BUICK REGAL TURBO GS 6SPD MANUAL
What about the face you get when you pull up next to a lexus, bmw, infinity and the likes of all the high dollar cars and your car still looks the hottest and gets all the attention!!!!! Priceless.....
I have so many people come up to me or stop me at the light to ask what kind of car it is. I luv my regal gs.

QSilverGS

Holland, MI
Buick Ownership
2012 GS, 2006 Rendezvous
Not a big problem, but was really annoying. Had a pretty loud rattle /vibration from over head or the passenger side. I grabbed the sunshade cause it was the only thing in reach and started to close it. Just off of full open it stopped and hasn't been back.

jester435

Salt Lake City, Utah
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Loud squeak after start or putting it in gear
The loud squeak sounds like the serpentine belt slipping off metal. It may go away after warming up. The belt tensioner seems to have a short life in these cars. Change the Belt Tensioner

Just had the belt changed at 25K miles. The loud squeak was awful and pissed my wife off really good. Now she wants to look for another car.

I have had the GS int the shop 3 times since buying it in April 2014.

Inside liner on the front hood peeling off
Downshift issues
Drivers side mirror adjuster broke and fell in the door (TWICE)
New Belt and Tension pulley

sjr

Buick Ownership
Buick
"mgww
Is there any way to override the day/night function on the nav/radio screen? It is too dark when the sensor detects that it's time to turn the headlights on. Friday was a nice sunny evening, and lights kick on and the screen dimmed, and I could barely read it. Once it got completely dark it was fine...but during the evening hours it's really annoying.Yes there is a function under the settings where you can choose to keep it in day or keep it in night mode"

yes there is a function under the settings tab where you can choose to keep it in day or keep it in night mode

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
2011 Buick Regal Turbo
Mine had a few issues...
- return turbo line was dripping oil pretty much since day one, replaced entire assembly in 3rd attempt, of course warranty repair
- heating element on driver seat broke down, replaced under warranty
- cam lifter sensor replaced under warranty
- brake pedal position sensor replaced under warranty

one recall for turn signal light fail indicator
one recall pending...for driver seat mounting bolt thingy

All in all not very stellar reliability for my 2011 Turbo after 3 years and 54,000 km.

JCG

Los Angeles
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal Turbo (Premium III)
My 2011 had so many glitches and noises I had to take it back (after about two years) to have GM repurchase it as a lemon.

I had most of the issues you had minus the sagging headliner. I think these are just standard if you're going to own a 2011 to 2013 Regal.

I replaced it, thinking this was all a one time thing, with a 2013 Regal, and it's pretty much the same thing all over again. Worse actually. My 2011 just annoyed me, my 2013 annoys me and has serious electrical issues. I can't take another lemon buyback because the last time I did it it was hell, so I'm going to tolerate it until my loan is paid and then buy something else from a different company.

2011 + Regal and GS Typical Concerns

I have read many posts on issues and non-issues Buick Regal and GS owners have. I thought it would be a good idea to have them all in one place so new owners can know what to expect and know what to do if these issues arise.

Noise during startup
The Buick 2.0 T has an air pump which runs for about 1 minute. It sounds like a vacuum sucking in air at high velocity. This is normal and not a failed part. It helps get the Catalytic Converter up to operating temperature faster.

Loud squeak after start or putting it in gear
The loud squeak sounds like the serpentine belt slipping off metal. It may go away after warming up. The belt tensioner seems to have a short life in these cars. Change the Belt Tensioner.

Ticking while idle
This is due to direct injection and is normal.

http://buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29761

Service Suspension System indicator on
The Service Suspension System is part of the Stabilitrac system. The Service Suspension System may come on for a number of reasons. A new GS may have the indicator come on when the system is calibrating itself. Sometimes it goes away after turning the car off and never comes back. Sometimes it comes on and off for a few weeks then never comes back. There are a number of reasons it can happen. It may come on if your front brakes need replacing. The accelerometer sensors might have failed and needs replacing. It also might be due to the placement of the wiring which rubs on the front suspension components.

http://buickforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21778
http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=994

Trunk opens by itself
This is a Buick Regal or even GM specific issue. I had the same issue with a Chrysler Town and Country. Putting your key in your pocket or purse with other objects can cause the button to be hit unintentionally. I had to put my key into my shirt pocket in order to keep the truck or car doors closed. GM has come up with a solution to this. They will install a “two shot rely” to resolve the issue.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1833

Sagging or lose Head Liner
Owners may experience a headliner which comes away from the back window. Below is the fix for this.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=1321

Poor idle at stop lights.
I have researched this issue and the closest thing I had to an answer was this is related to the engine finding the best way to save fuel at idle. This was from a previous Buick service tech who is also my friend so I trust he is telling me what he knows to be the truth. My GS stopped doing this after about 15,000 to 20,000 miles. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does it gets your attention. It feels like its about to shut off but doesn’t.

E85 and GS
The GS does not come with a needed computer to calculate E85 gas. That is by design. The reason might be the GS reaches a higher boost pressure than the stock Regal Turbo so it needs more fuel for the added air. That and the fact that E85 needs more fuel to work efficiently = not enough fuel pressure to do both E85 and the higher boost level of the GS.

GS Brake Squeal and front brake dust.
The GS has Brembo front brake pads which do a great job of stopping the car without fade. Brembo’s are also notorious for brake dust. This is not an issue with your brakes, just your expectations. There is a PI for the dust and noise if it bothers you. #PI0676A

http://gmauthority.com/blog/topic/buick-regal-gs-brembo-brakes-squeal/

Feel free to comment on this.

This should be a sticky so new members can see it.

qwk93ta

Buick Ownership
Buick
I have an 11 Regal Turbo 6 speed, It's in the shop now for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I've had it in 3 or 4 time before that....These are the issues I can remember:

1) During shifting there is a sound like playing cards in bicycle spokes. I've had it in the shop three times for this alone and they can't figure it out.
2) There is a good amount of wind noise coming from the driver's window, they can't fix that either. Many of the Buicks that I drove as rentals had it worse.
3) The plastic handle in the trunk lid keeps falling out.
4) The parking brake broke.
5) I continue to get the Service Suspension Soon notice even after the computer has been updated twice.

I'm just happy that I have a warranty for another 35k miles, once that is over I don't think I'll keep the car.

Harshman

Buick Ownership
17 Regal GS AWD
The only problem with my 11 TO4 was the stereo issue, which was a very minor annoyance. I didn't like the seats but that was personal.

QSilverGS

Holland, MI
Buick Ownership
2012 GS, 2006 Rendezvous
You've probably messed with the day/night/auto menu for the display by now, but there is also the small dimmer wheel to the right of the main headlight switch. I've had to turn up the dash back lighting when it's does the same thing to me. As far as I can tell, the day /night mode just changes the white or black back ground for the nav map. I keep this in night mode all the time now anyway.

FatherDeth

7.0L LS7 Member
Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal GS
You all know I've had plenty of issues with my car. The latest fight has taken months to resolve, but finally a technician actually listened and didn't come up with some lame excuse.

2012 Regal GS: Exhibited clacking noises when taking off in first or reversing. It sounded like two wooden sticks being hit together.
I took my car in today (Feb 12, 2015). I had a bad experience. The guy was like "You keep bringing the car in. There's only so much we can do. You gave us a few bad surveys and we're not happy!" Whatever! After about an hour of waiting, the tech comes and asks me to drive the car to see if I can replicate it. At first he was bringing up the gear lash stuff again, but I immediately countered him by saying taking off in first puts torque on the gears, thus eliminating lash. He agreed. We stopped in the parking lot and put it in reverse and.......clack, clack, clack!! He was like "I know what that is!" He said "I'll take care of it." I go back into the waiting room and about an hour later he comes in and says "It's all done!" He said the axle nuts were probably loose. He took both axles out and then reseated them and retorqued the nuts. Problem solved! I'm so glad I had a tech that actually listened!! This might be something GS and Turbo owners might want to look into. Regular Regals probably wouldnt hurt either, but I'm assuming this is a high torque problem. I know someone else on here mentioned having to have their axles re-tightened

**EDIT** I have included the YouTube link to my video demonstrating the noise. The Mic picked up all kinds of squeaks and rattles, but what you're listening for is a clacking sound similar to hitting two wooden sticks together. http://youtu.be/JnzewkYtrRI

Last edited:
Buick Ownership
Buick
My 15 Regal had an issue where OnStar and Navigation quit working. Scanned it on GDS and found code B101D F0, it is an internal problem with the communication interface control module. GM's fix for B101 3c and f0 is to have the dealership replace the communication interface control module.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.