2011 + Regal and GS Typical Concerns

patrickgw

Seattle, WA
Buick Ownership
'12 white diamond Regal GS (past)
wow I seem to be really lucky... no problems with my GS so far. except for that the Onstar light is always red even though the Onstar works fine. I do get a funny shift noise when going into first sometimes.

Vancouver, B.C.
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS 6/auto, 20 inch wheels, Ashen Gray Metallic.
You all know I've had plenty of issues with my car. The latest fight has taken months to resolve, but finally a technician actually listened and didn't come up with some lame excuse.

2012 Regal GS: Exhibited clacking noises when taking off in first or reversing. It sounded like two wooden sticks being hit together.
I took my car in today (Feb 12, 2015). I had a bad experience. The guy was like "You keep bringing the car in. There's only so much we can do. You gave us a few bad surveys and we're not happy!" Whatever! After about an hour of waiting, the tech comes and asks me to drive the car to see if I can replicate it. At first he was bringing up the gear lash stuff again, but I immediately countered him by saying taking off in first puts torque on the gears, thus eliminating lash. He agreed. We stopped in the parking lot and put it in reverse and.......clack, clack, clack!! He was like "I know what that is!" He said "I'll take care of it." I go back into the waiting room and about an hour later he comes in and says "It's all done!" He said the axle nuts were probably loose. He took both axles out and then reseated them and retorqued the nuts. Problem solved! I'm so glad I had a tech that actually listened!! This might be something GS and Turbo owners might want to look into. Regular Regals probably wouldnt hurt either, but I'm assuming this is a high torque problem. I know someone else on here mentioned having to have their axles re-tightened

**EDIT** I have included the YouTube link to my video demonstrating the noise. The Mic picked up all kinds of squeaks and rattles, but what you're listening for is a clacking sound similar to hitting two wooden sticks together. http://youtu.be/JnzewkYtrRI
Was this on all axles? Mine does the same when going from reverse to drive and vice versa, especially with the front wheels turned... I am going to bring my car in for a bunch of small issues, and definitely want them to look at this. If I can point them in the direction from the start, it'll be less tampering with the car :)

JohnMC2010

Farmington Hills, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Preferred

Walt G

25 miles SW of Chicago
Buick Ownership
'12 Regal GS
I don't know if this is 'typical' yet, but it seems to have happened to me and I could find evidence of this on other forums (Saab) with the same engine and manual transmission. The pressure plate has a strange (to me at least) mechanical self-adjuster mechanism that can get stuck, causing the clutch to slip. It can also get unstuck on its own, so before you jump in and replace a slipping clutch, wait a few days and see if it adjusts itself and starts working again. I have no idea what can be done to help it get 'unstuck', if anything.

billy mild

Buick Ownership
Buick
After a few months of hearing the belt slapping/squealing I took the car to the dealer. They at first told me there were no recalls or TSB's active for my car. I ended up explaining my issue and the tech found it. They replaced the belt tensioner with the updated part. So far no more noise. Also I didn't realize the Buick had an air pump for the cat converter. My old ZR-1 vette has that technology.

I'm so glad I read this thread. My car has 30,000 miles on it. The Regal GS was making the noise for the last 10,000 miles occasionally on startup.

kgoebz

Ottawa ON
Buick Ownership
2012 Buick Regal GS
Mines been pretty good. Had the keyless entry module replaced as it wouldn't always sense the key when trying to get in, and the key fob range was really bad. Also had the clutch pedal assembly replaced due to a pretty loud squeak/creak noise. Just had a bit of rust fixed on the right front inner door seam as well.

Overall, nothing major. It's never left me stranded and has performed exactly as expected throughout just under a year of ownership. Working in automotive though, it would take either some major things or a lot of things to make me upset haha. It's a car after all, things will break. Deal with it. If you think it's better with any other manufacturer, you're wrong haha

Oh and I forgot to add I just replaced my front pads at 33000km, and the front rotors have been machined 3 times now for pulsation lol

Buick Ownership
Buick
Selling my Trifecta flash cable 65 shipped- I have no picture but its in perfect working conditions

Selling the Trunk Badge Opel.. an Official GM/Opel part selling 50 shipped

selling my boost gauge I have all the wiring used directly from my GS ground wire, the T line to run the hoses, the Vacuum line works perfect lights up perfect looks really nice at night & used by Me and Kranz 90 shipped

selling my KNN CAI cone .. this is a direct fit to the stock OEM tubing to make a CAI makes the car louder on startup i have the bracket for it .. all u do is pull out the stock airbag nd replace it with the cone with the bracket , 40 shipped

I still have both my winter tires Nokia Haka 8 STUDDED tires used only a couple thousand miles best winter tire money can buy I have a pair (2) tires 575 shipped these are 255/35/20 tires there huge we know that so take that in consideration when i say 575 shipped

everything is being sold is

Attachments

NEO
Buick Ownership
2013 Regal Turbo
Some info I found out that has been done previously with my 2013 Regal, and since I purchased it.

It was purchased after a GM Employee Lease as a CPO in 2014 at around 20k. That owner had the following done during his/her ownership.

Trunk Release Switch
Serpentine Belt and Tensioner Replacement
Drivers Seat Heater Replacement

I purchased it in 2015 with 41k.

Dealer has replaced:
Right Rear Wheel bearing and Sensor
Flex Fuel Sensor
Left and Right Strut Mounts/Bearings
Passenger Speaker (Dumb previous owner mistake)
Passenger Visor (Done to make my happy with purchase as it had a dent and broken mirror door)

I have replaced:

Transmission Fluid
Repaired Door Rattles

My Regal is currently at 47k, but since it was previously a CPO is covered Bumper to Bumper until 62k, and the Powertrain is covered until 100,224 miles.

I enjoy this car alot, but I can't say it's been totally stellar when it comes to reliability.

Ottawa, IL
Buick Ownership
13' Buick Regal GS
E85 and GS
The GS does not come with a needed computer to calculate E85 gas. That is by design. The reason might be the GS reaches a higher boost pressure than the stock Regal Turbo so it needs more fuel for the added air. That and the fact that E85 needs more fuel to work efficiently = not enough fuel pressure to do both E85 and the higher boost level of the GS.

You can tune the car to use E85, I run it during the summer and have gain just with a conservative tune without zzp's fuel lobe cams, 30+whp. adds timing and more fuel, but you are limited to full e85 , no mixing 93 in with it. You do save money on each fill up, even though you get worse gas mileage it still saves you money per tank plus you gain HP. Contact ZZPerformance if you want a cheap power gain if already tuned.

mikeg

3.8L Turbo Member
Overland Park, KS
Buick Ownership
Buick Regal T07 Russelsheim
My 2011 has 56K miles and has been well maintained but is not stock (catless dp, intake manifold spacers, Trifecta tune, lowered, k/n filter, snow shield remove on intake). I just replaced the rear struts for clunking noise. Anybody have to replace the struts this soon? Was it related to lowering the car?

Anybody have the transmission seal at the shifter leak? My mechanic says I need a new gasket. Anybody have oil leaking from the turbo? My mechanic noticed that also. I am out of warranty.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.