• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2020 Regal Sportback/TourX - What's New

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Sigh...I was hoping for automatic hi beams in 2020. Kinda hoping for lane centering also. Even Kia nowdays is offering a lane centering. I really wish GM would expand supercruise beyond caddy. They have a system that has been rated as good or better than Tesla and for some reason are sitting on it. If Buick had a GS tourX with supercruise it would be just about perfect! One can dream I guess...

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Sigh...I was hoping for automatic hi beams in 2020. Kinda hoping for lane centering also. Even Kia nowdays is offering a lane centering. I really wish GM would expand supercruise beyond caddy. They have a system that has been rated as good or better than Tesla and for some reason are sitting on it. If Buick had a GS tourX with supercruise it would be just about perfect! One can dream I guess...
Lane centering (Lane Keep Assist) is on DC2 package which is available. Auto high beams, yeah, that would be nice.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Most Lane keep systems ping-pong you between the markings. Land centering proactively keeps you in the center of the lane..advanced systems will even handle small corners..steering the car around the corner.

I was under the impression the TourX system was more like the former...not taking any action until you crossed a line. Can anyone confirm?

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Most Lane keep systems ping-pong you between the markings. Land centering proactively keeps you in the center of the lane..advanced systems will even handle small corners..steering the car around the corner.

I was under the impression the TourX system was more like the former...not taking any action until you crossed a line. Can anyone confirm?
It is the former, you have to approach the line and it will steer you away from it, then tell you to grab the wheel when it sees you aren't doing anything. It's OK, less aggressive than the one on my Subaru was. I still like driving the car so I usually turn it off.

landsharkmz3

The Buick is a Lane Keep Assist. It is not a lane centering system. It only reacts at the edges of the lane to bounce you back over. It is not at all appropriate for a hands free operation. The system also loses the lane detection often unless you are on nice cleanly marked roads. My testing of the system how shown me that the LKA does not perform well in some circumstances even on a clearly marked road. The system cannot handle acute angles. It is a nudge, not true steering. Don't get me wrong, I like the feature and am glad I have it, but it is much less mature than a system that would allow someone to actually rely on it.

SuperCruise would be great, and it would mean I actually need a data subscription (which I don't do in the Buick).

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
It is not at all appropriate for a hands free operation. The system also loses the lane detection often unless you are on nice cleanly marked roads. My testing of the system how shown me that the LKA does not perform well in some circumstances even on a clearly marked road.
This has been my experience with the system as well. More on that for anyone that hasn't already seen it: "Take Steering" Alert in DIC While Using ACC/LKA Hands Free

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Boy do I have something for you...
comma.ai – Introducing openpilot

commaai/openpilot

landsharkmz3

While I like the idea of enhanced capability, there is no way I am headed down this road. Modifying the software of multiple the control systems of the vehicle is a bad idea on many levels. I could go into much more detail, but no thanks.

Disclaimer: I work on a team that develops autonomous vehicles.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
While I like the idea of enhanced capability, there is no way I am headed down this road. Modifying the software of multiple the control systems of the vehicle is a bad idea on many levels. I could go into much more detail, but no thanks.

Disclaimer: I work on a team that develops autonomous vehicles.
That's cool and all but I have probably 2,000 miles so far with the system engaged and it works pretty decently.

No software of a control system is modified. The ASCM is bypassed and the new system injects it's own commands into the network. There are limits to what can be commanded and the system is easily disengaged like normal adaptive cruise control.

I helped on the port to the system to the 18+ Regal so I guess you could say I work on a team that develops Level 2 Autonomous Vehicles?

landsharkmz3

My intention was to state that vehicle control commands would be given by an aftermarket open source system (and the ramifications that come along with it). As a participant in sharing the road, I am not a fan of it either.

Regarding teams, I mean OEM.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
My intention was to state that vehicle control commands would be given by an aftermarket open source system (and the ramifications that come along with it). As a participant in sharing the road, I am not a fan of it either.

Regarding teams, I mean OEM.
comma.ai has more driver monitoring than just about any "OEM" solution that is sold in a car off the factory floor today. I've driven a Model 3 w/ AP for a decent amount of time and I feel way more comfortable with the comma.ai system. "Don't knock it till you try it"

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
I guess I'm just old school, I want a hotrod you have to drive and a lot of you want an AI chauffeur.
already got that maybe not a hotrod per say......91 Lotus Elan M100, 2001 Lotus Esprit, 2005 Lotus Elise.....so got those I want to be pampered!.......if I lived out in the boondocks I wouldn't need it, but in Phoenix rush hour it would be nice to just sit back and let the car do its thing!......

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Two points about my LKA.

1. Here in Central Florida, we have many Country Two Lane Roads that have NO SHOULDERS. Yellow double line down center and White line on edge. No shoulder. Just grass. My LKA does not function on these no shoulder roads.

2. On other roads the LKA sometimes gives a “gentle” nudge and other times, it gives a “forceful” nudge. I have yet figured out why or when it does one or the other.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
I guess I'm just old school, I want a hotrod you have to drive and a lot of you want an AI chauffeur.
It would be good for long road trips. I could see this being useful for an interstate trip across Nebraska or Kansas. Having to make minor corrections gets tiring. Not to substitute human input..but make the trip less physically/mentally draining.

Chockomon

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback AWD
Two points about my LKA.

1. Here in Central Florida, we have many Country Two Lane Roads that have NO SHOULDERS. Yellow double line down center and White line on edge. No shoulder. Just grass. My LKA does not function on these no shoulder roads.

2. On other roads the LKA sometimes gives a “gentle” nudge and other times, it gives a “forceful” nudge. I have yet figured out why or when it does one or the other.
Odd - mine works on roads like that. Is yours a 2018 or 2019? I have a 19 so I wonder if there was a software update

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
looked at the website so you need the giraffe but it only lists acura how did you solve yours. I am really interested in this
A giraffe of sorts is required for GM openpilot installs. There isn't a good producer of them at the moment so it's hard to say what to do. Comma.ai does not officially support GM like they do Honda and Toyota.

Two points about my LKA.

I'm unsure how the factory camera is programmed to respond, but the value it is able to command isn't just a few "steps" of how hard it can nudge. It's actually a correction value based on steering angle.

Ctrcbob

Buick Ownership
Regal Tour-X
Odd - mine works on roads like that. Is yours a 2018 or 2019? I have a 19 so I wonder if there was a software update
My Tour-X is a (White Needle) 2018, May 2018 build.

Does not bother me that it does not function on narrow two lane country roads with no shoulders. Forces me to be more careful.

Pedal Commander