• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

2020 Regal Sportback/TourX - What's New

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Should have called the Essence model the Regal Estate Wagon.
The Preferred model could be the Regal Roadmaster Wagon
Just drop the base model that seems to not exist.
Good name ideas. They can name it whatever, just keep having an AWD wagon!

My .02, use Estate or Roadmaster names. Like my Dad said when the Regal name came out, who the hell cares about royalty - how about going back to the cat names?

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
So you guys really think calling the TourX a Roadmaster or Regal Estate or anything else would have helped GM sell more of them?
It couldn't hurt. I think the name goes towards a better marketing strategy. GM tried to market this as a crossover which it is not. If you're looking for a crossover(even one than looks like a wagon) there are dozens of better options. If you are looking for a sport-luxury wagon (with awd) there are much fewer options...and really none in the Buicks price range. Let the Outback compete for the off roading, adventurous set. Buick should target the antique shopping, pet owners, going to the beach house, road trippin but still want a fun car set. This car is closer to cheaper more generic Audi allroad, Volvo v60/v90 or BMW wagon than it is Subaru and should be marketed as such...IMO.

Last edited:

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Finally!
I feel like I am insane by checking daily already! (Multiple times a day sometimes)
Yeah I just checked a few days ago, was surprised there was no ‘20 showing. Wonder WTH took them so long.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
Buick should target the antique shopping, pet owners, going to the beach house, road trippin but still want a fun car set. This car is closer to cheaper more generic Audi allroad, Volvo v60/v90 or BMW wagon than it is Subaru and should be marketed as such...IMO.
Totally agree! It's not a huge demographic, but offering this as a cheaper alternative to the Audi/Volvo/BMW/Merc wagons should have been the natural marketing angle. As you mentioned, pets is a big one, particularly considering the lower cargo height. I'd also picture a farmer's market visit.

But the reality is that Volvo barely advertises their wagons, and BMW/Mercedes/Audi pretty much don't either. They all have an established lineage where anyone who might want one already knows they exist.

I don't know that the model name would have changed things much, to be honest - I think it's merely a lack of advertising and the Buick brand name in general that's holding it back as much as the inherent wagon-ness. I think this is a 'rose by any other name would still be completely unnoticed without advertising' if you'll pardon the paraphrase.

It's a running joke that I'm under 40 and I bought a Buick... so much so that when it comes up in discussion that I recently got a new car, I lead off with "I bought a Buick!" just because I love seeing the puzzled faces of people. Almost nobody knows what a TourX is even when I tell them.

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Totally agree! It's not a huge demographic, but offering this as a cheaper alternative to the Audi/Volvo/BMW/Merc wagons should have been the natural marketing angle. As you mentioned, pets is a big one, particularly considering the lower cargo height. I'd also picture a farmer's market visit.

But the reality is that Volvo barely advertises their wagons, and BMW/Mercedes/Audi pretty much don't either. They all have an established lineage where anyone who might want one already knows they exist.

I don't know that the model name would have changed things much, to be honest - I think it's merely a lack of advertising and the Buick brand name in general that's holding it back as much as the inherent wagon-ness. I think this is a 'rose by any other name would still be completely unnoticed without advertising' if you'll pardon the paraphrase.

It's a running joke that I'm under 40 and I bought a Buick... so much so that when it comes up in discussion that I recently got a new car, I lead off with "I bought a Buick!" just because I love seeing the puzzled faces of people. Almost nobody knows what a TourX is even when I tell them.
I have 2 older dogs...I specifically chose the TourX partially because the low floor height. Its easier to get the dogs to hop into the TourX than my wifes Escape ...or a crV, rav4, etc. Added bonus..the cargo area works better for dogs because it is long vs.high. more floor area for dogs vs vertical cargo areas of most SUVs.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
Regal
Yeah I just checked a few days ago, was surprised there was no ‘20 showing. Wonder WTH took them so long.
Funny thing is, it still shows the 2019/2018 page unless we go through the "All vehicle" menu first!

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Funny thing is, it still shows the 2019/2018 page unless we go through the "All vehicle" menu first!
I'm guessing the same people that programme their web pages also worked on the 'new' infotainment software--that would explain some of the oddities.

no-pistons

Buick Ownership
Tourx
I don't understand why you guys are so excited about a 2020 model year. No real changes and most dealers probably wont even order any as there are still so many 2018s sitting around.

I was hoping for one of two things:

-release of a cladding-less version or GS wagon (unlikely)

-completely dropping the TourX in hopes of the values going up.

Steve F.

Buick Ownership
Potential TourX owner
I’m in the Boston area and Cars.com shows zero 2018 Essence models and 12 2019 models within 200 miles. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a leftover sitting outside on a lot for 1+ years. I’d rather pay more and get a brand new 2020. Plus it sounds cool, “I got a 20-20 Regal Tourx”.

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
Regal
I don't understand why you guys are so excited about a 2020 model year. No real changes and most dealers probably wont even order any as there are still so many 2018s sitting around.

I was hoping for one of two things:

-release of a cladding-less version or GS wagon (unlikely)

-completely dropping the TourX in hopes of the values going up.
The real changes are: Locking fuel door no longer available and the new color of Satin Steel Metallic.
But look on the other side, the resale value should be higher since it is newer.

Pedal Commander