• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Auto start-stop override module is now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
I bought this module immediately upon purchase and have had installed ever since. Works as advertised. Spending alot of time in traffic (work in NJ live in Manhattan) it was a requirement for me. The remote start is a two second fix and I barely remote start anyway (the joys of parking garage life).
Would you elaborate on the remote start "fix"? I have seen conflicting information on it.

Thanks!

exlax2002

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
Would you elaborate on the remote start "fix"? I have seen conflicting information on it.

Thanks!
You just turn the car off and then back on if remote started. For me the benefit far outweighed this minor inconvenience. If you dont do that then the start stop feature is active which is also not the biggest deal.

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
You just turn the car off and then back on if remote started. For me the benefit far outweighed this minor inconvenience. If you dont do that then the start stop feature is active which is also not the biggest deal.
Thanks, doesn't sound too bad at all. Do you mind if I clarify?

Process:
Remote start my car
Jump in to leave
Start car
Shut off car
Start car
Party?

EDITED:

If not remote starting, just start and leave, correct?

California TourX

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I checked the smartstartstop.com website tonight, and they are proudly announcing the availility of their new auto start/stop defeat module for the Buick Regal 2017 to 2018 MY! Great news. I have been shopping for a new wagon, and the ability to permanently turn off auto s/s has been a requirement before I will buy.

Chevy-Buick-Cadillac-GMC Products
just put it in neutral. engine will stay running

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
While cruising Aliexpress for Regal stuff, I came across this. With the broken English it's hard to understand what the guy has even written, but it appears to be an OBD-II start/stop disabler. I'm guessing it could have been made for our European cousins since the images show a start/stop disable button ahead of the shifter, which of course our cars don't have. So given that, plus the usual Aliexpress junk factor, I'd say there's a 50-50 chance this works. Anyone want to take a chance with $50 USD / $65 CAD? :D

printf

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
None, currently shopping/researching
In the Chevy Equinox / GMC Terrain forums, the suggested way to override start-stop is to drive it in "L9" mode, as in manually shift to 9th gear and leave it there. It seems to work for them.

Does doing the equivalent work for the Regal too? (I don't own one, just passing along this nugget in case it helps)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Does manually putting in 8th work on TourX, I assume it has to shift if idiot leaves manually in high?
PS TourX not legal or I would check.

Last edited:

JohnMC2010

Farmington Hills, MI
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Preferred
Does manually putting in 8th work on TourX, I assume it has to shift if idiot leaves manually in high?
PS TourX not legal or I would check.
It definitely will downshift when necessary, so that it doesn't stall. However, you can pop it into Manual mode just before coming to a stop, as @printf suggests. Once you are stopped, you can pop it back out of Manual mode, because the engine will not stop after you're already at a standstill.

printf

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
None, currently shopping/researching
If I understand it correctly, I think what the Equinox/Terrain owners do is they start the car, manually shift to L9, and then drive. Somehow the car will generally act as though it's on D, just that auto stop will no longer engage.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
If I understand it correctly, I think what the Equinox/Terrain owners do is they start the car, manually shift to L9, and then drive. Somehow the car will generally act as though it's on D, just that auto stop will no longer engage.

[/URL][/URL]
Thanks for info... but you guys are dancing around if it works on TourX or not. Really did not want to have to break the law and drive my TourX without proper registration.... Plus some people might get really irritated if I did that.. like me if I got a citation.
PS Plus if this saves me from spending money for mod. I might have more of my vehicles in service.

Last edited:

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
In the Chevy Equinox / GMC Terrain forums, the suggested way to override start-stop is to drive it in "L9" mode, as in manually shift to 9th gear and leave it there. It seems to work for them.

Does doing the equivalent work for the Regal too? (I don't own one, just passing along this nugget in case it helps)

Tried it yesterday, it won't work like that. In manual mode the highest gear you can start EDIT: start from a stop with is third.

Shifting to manual mode while in 8'th, the vehicle will downshift as stated above but it won't upshift. I tried and it just hits redline, I thought it might shift because of other cars I have driven will upshift automatically in manual mode but it just pegged for a couple seconds (I wasn't going to try and burn it up.)

I will wait for the Trifecta tune.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Tried it yesterday, it won't work like that. In manual mode the highest gear you can start with is third.

Shifting to manual mode while in 8'th, the vehicle will downshift as stated above but it won't upshift. I tried and it just hits redline, I thought it might shift because of other cars I have driven will upshift automatically in manual mode but it just pegged for a couple seconds (I wasn't going to try and burn it up.)

I will wait for the Trifecta tune.
Thanks for trying...
I may be confused on your description of what you did?
Did you put in man mode and go up to 8th gear and not touch shifter again, no mater what car did on its own after that?

4wheelforay

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
Thanks for trying...
I may be confused on your description of what you did?
Did you put in man mode and go up to 8th gear and not touch shifter again, no mater what car did on its own after that?
I shifted into manual mode once I was already in 8'th gear. 51mp/h or whatever ungodly slow speed it happens at. From there I slowed to a stop and started again. The car downshifts but will not upshift without intervention.

I did edit my post above. You can switch to manual mode at any speed, the trans just holds that gear until you change gear with the shifter or switch back to auto.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
I shifted into manual mode once I was already in 8'th gear. 51mp/h or whatever ungodly slow speed it happens at. From there I slowed to a stop and started again. The car downshifts but will not upshift without intervention.

I did edit my post above. You can switch to manual mode at any speed, the trans just holds that gear until you change gear with the shifter or switch back to auto.
Interesting that it holds gear. I’ve never tried with this car but with others it always shifts up to avoid a constant redline scenario.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I guess that makes sense, since in man mode. Would be nice if you do the man in 8th mode, and put back in auto and that would defeat SS. Should be driver programable for length of time till triggers, like what it use to be when humans controlled the machines.

Last edited:

mitchflorida

Buick Newbie
South Florida
Buick Ownership
2016 Summit White Regal, Premium II, Moonroof, Driver Confidence Package
Does anyone LIKE the start/stop feature? It sounds pretty cool because I hate wasting gas and poluting the air during long traffic light stops. Is it really a loser, or is it the wave of the future?

It's unfortunate that Buick doesn't allow you to turn it off, but this is a German-made vehicle and they are more hysterical about global warming and low fuel consumption. Supposedly the feature saves between 3 and 11 percent mpg, depending on where you are driving.

Last edited:

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
According to my GS's DIC, the car consumes 2 litres or less of fuel while idling. So that's a potential savings of about $2 for every hour the car shuts itself off. Hard to imagine there's much of a payoff there.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I missed this ... you remote start turn off restart and SS is off?
One extra start compared to lots is awesome!
If it works sounds perfect, free and can have cake and eat it too
PS Guessing that is with module right... nevermind...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedal Commander