• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Auto start-stop override module is now available!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Dang. Nine pages?

I just use a diesel-electric generator that I run on waste veggie oil to keep my battery charged. I got the TourX ‘cause it had enough room in the boot to fit my 1.6D generator. This way I got rid of auto-stop AND am running a second engine that makes my interior smell like french fries.

A win-win if you ask me.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
😁 Did we forget the sarcasm on/off tags?

Either that, or you found a replacement for the gasoline powered heater that Opel provides (as an option) to heat the interior (remote vehicle starting being illegal in Europe).

Last edited:

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
😁 Did we forget the sarcasm on/off tags?

Either that, or you found a replacement for the gasoline powered heater that Opel provides (as an option) to heat the interior (remote vehicle starting being illegal in Europe).

[/URL][/URL]
Oops! ;-)

I've always wanted a parking heater! The factory remote start is neat, but a parking heater would slash the wear and tear on cold starts and give me a nice and toasty interior up here in the cold, white north.

@Anaduff: Want to start the MN Chapter of TourX owners? :giggle:

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
LJ said,
Vehicles have had smart charging system since first voltage regulator. Have no problem with my charging system or battery.
You should go down to your dealer and show them your mods, no doubt they will be interested.

Lj, this is only a discussion, don`t get your knickers in a twist.

My 2005 Audi TT has a basic alternator, the battery is a cheap lead acid type, it is 8 years old and going strong, I can use any type of battery on the car, I can jump car (which has never happened) without going to the dealer for a system reset and the basic alternator always keeps the battery fully charged at between 13.8 and 14.3 volts.
Other than a marginal fuel usage gain and emitting slightly less of that gas of life CO2 that plants love, what are the benefits of having a complex computer controlled charging system that is likely to cause more costly repair work outside of warranty.
According to this scientific study there is around 2-3% gain, the problem with these numbers is that they are from the (NEDC homologation cycle).
This is the Lab test VW came unstuck with so the gains are probable near to zero in the real world. Here in the UK it`s all about this.

Last edited:

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
SmartStopStart module installed...
ThumbsUp.jpg
(The emoticons this site have aren't big enough.)
((Still find myself driving in 'semi-manual', but at least now I'm not forced to.))

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
LJ said,
Vehicles have had smart charging system since first voltage regulator. Have no problem with my charging system or battery.
You should go down to your dealer and show them your mods, no doubt they will be interested.

Lj, this is only a discussion, don`t get your knickers in a twist.

My 2005 Audi TT has a basic alternator, the battery is a cheap lead acid type, it is 8 years old and going strong, I can use any type of battery on the car, I can jump car (which has never happened) without going to the dealer for a system reset and the basic alternator always keeps the battery fully charged at between 13.8 and 14.3 volts.
Other than a marginal fuel usage gain and emitting slightly less of that gas of life CO2 that plants love, what are the benefits of having a complex computer controlled charging system that is likely to cause more costly repair work outside of warranty.
According to this scientific study there is around 2-3% gain, the problem with these numbers is that they are from the (NEDC homologation cycle).
This is the Lab test VW came unstuck with so the gains are probable near to zero in the real world. Here in the UK it`s all about this.

[/URL]

[/URL]
Sorry but don't wear knickers, but can see your a little twisted about this.
Can not speak for anyone else, but do not ever read your happy H S anymore. I am not stupid enough to modify my vehicle and possibly void my warranty to save $139.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Any problems with functionality or install?
SmartStopStart module installed...
View attachment 14567
(The emoticons this site have aren't big enough.)
((Still find myself driving in 'semi-manual', but at least now I'm not forced to.))
Any problems with install or how it functions?

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
Any problems with functionality or install?

Any problems with install or how it functions?
ive had mine for a month now and it works flawlessly. No issues whatsoever! in my book it is worth the 139

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Let's see...about 30 seconds to pop-off the radiator cover, another 30 sec. to separate the plug/socket, 5 sec. to insert the module--quick trip to the basement to get a cable tie tool (optional); used a small tie to attach the wires from module to the hood opening cable & a large cable tie to hold the module against same and then re-install the cover & rivets. All told, about 3 minutes. (And a few leftover cable ties.)

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
LJ said,

Sorry but don't wear knickers, but can see your a little twisted about this.
Can not speak for anyone else, but do not ever read your happy H S anymore. I am not stupid enough to modify my vehicle and possibly void my warranty to save $139.

JL, it`s just a discussion, not aimed at you, I may not do it if car was under warranty. Many drivers dont`t like stop start and there are thousands of drivers with older cars changing good batteries just because stop/start is not functioning. Disconnecting the sensor is no different to it failing, the alternator just reverts to standard charge so no damage, as I have already said it`s one more layer of electronics that will fail for very little gain as is shown by this study below, read the Summary and Conclusions, study is behind a pay wall so not aimed at the general public, free access is available via sci-hub.

Under real-world conditions with higher vehicle current demand, savings of 0.86 % were achieved. For the FTP-75 cycle, the smart alternator strategy allowed for fuel consumption savings of 0.57 % under certification conditions and 1.05 % under real-world conditions. With start-stop disabled, the smart alternator strategy saved 0.63% of fuel under certification conditions.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Well finally installed module, took me about as long as losing my virginity. Best $139 I ever spent, although would have preferred I got it for free....the module not losing my virginity.
PS Not sure if I made it clear with the virginity thing, I have not a clue what I am doing so took me almost 2 hours, She thought I didnt know what I was doing either ....since was my first time doing either install.

Last edited:

ac263

Buick Ownership
2019 Tourx
I've been using the module for a few weeks. It works as expected, but I don't use remote start so can't comment on that side effect. Yes, GM should've just included the button.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Well finally installed module, took me about as long as losing my virginity. Best $139 I ever spent, although would have preferred I got it for free....the module not losing my virginity.
PS Not sure if I made it clear with the virginity thing, I have not a clue what I am doing so took me almost 2 hours, She thought I didnt know what I was doing either ....since was my first time doing either install.
PSS Appears my crazy twin has been responding on this forum without me knowing. Really sorry about that he sometimes gets loose, so if something does not sound normal it is probably him.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
PSS Appears my crazy twin has been responding on this forum without me knowing. Really sorry about that he sometimes gets loose, so if something does not sound normal it is probably him.
He should seek medical help! ;-)

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
New convert here. Until this morning with the module installed I didn't know how much 'managing' stop/start was sapping the enjoyment of the vehicle. Not having to think about whether I have to shift into manual approaching a light is alone worth the cost of admission.

Other thoughts...

While they did a good job in how the stop/start operates, it's not a technology I really want to be bothered with anymore. If I had to continue my mostly city commute and the gas prices continued to rise, then perhaps I could see wanting it for actual cost savings (and other tree-hugger related reasons). With my commute changing to mostly highway next week, I'm much less concern. And regardless - it's easy enough to revert back to stock should any of those conditions change again in the future.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I love having a normal car again. May disable module with remote start once in a while to remember how crappy it was.

Crestwood

Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse Essence
I joined the movement today and installed the stop/start module in my 2017 LaCrosse. Everything fired up as expected, and worked as claimed. The purpose of this note is to add a bit of clarification about the install process which is not entirely clear in the manufacturer's instruction flyer. Note that I am talking about the 2017-2019 version of the Buick LaCrosse.

Installing the module requires that the hood latch mechanism be detached to allow you to access the car's connector housing. This connector is located behind the hood latch, directly above the radiator fans. The installation instructions fail, however, to mention that the connector module is secured to the car by a small plastic push button, similar to those used to attach the trim panels in the trunk.

The connector housing is well secured, and hard to remove from below the overhanging metal flange. I found it helpful to use a hand mirror to look under the flange. I could not move the connector using only my hand, and used a long screwdriver to pry it loose.

Overall, it took 20 minutes to analyze what to do, and another 10 minutes to complete the installation. So, the installation process took more time than expected. Fortunately, the result is worth the effort.

Last edited:

mambopalace

Buick Ownership
TourX
I installed the Start/Stop module in '19 TourX purchased from Steve...Great experience from start to finish and the best $139 I ever spent. If you're on the fence about buying this item, go for it, you will be more than satisfied. As for Steve, you don't find guys like him in the business world anymore. He's a gem.

Banjo

Buick Ownership
2018 Reagal GS
My GS learned my Driving habits and it doesn't disable the ignition as much as it did when it was new...give the car time to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.