Auto start-stop override module is now available!

whitexkr

Buick Ownership
Envision
Yes, I've read all posts in this thread, and IMHO it just doesn't make sense at $139 to cover a possible battery replacement down the road that will cost $180. Add in any unseen/unknown electrical system hiccups that might be introduced and its a hard pass.
Also, I wouldn't compare Ford gremlins to Buick's...different species and mutant DNA.
Good luck to all.
It seems that you are confusing the several discussions going on in this thread.

The original thread was about the $139 SmartStopStart module (www.smartstopstart.com). This module does not mess with the charging system at all. It simply uses the auto stop override already built into the vehicle for mechanics safety when working on the car by signally 'hood open' briefly when the car is started. It is simple and it works.

The charging system mods and other mods discussed in this thread have nothing to do with this product. You are right though that references to other makes of vehicle have little significance to the Regal.

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
It seems that you are confusing the several discussions going on in this thread.

The original thread was about the $139 SmartStopStart module (www.smartstopstart.com). This module does not mess with the charging system at all. It simply uses the auto stop override already built into the vehicle for mechanics safety when working on the car by signally 'hood open' briefly when the car is started. It is simple and it works.

The charging system mods and other mods discussed in this thread have nothing to do with this product. You are right though that references to other makes of vehicle have little significance to the Regal.
Yes, some confusion on my part, thanks for the correction.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The good thing about the SS defeat module...is there seems to be no downside other then cost. Can not imagine GM having problem with accessory, that is being installed by their own dealers.

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (Mostly)
Sorry for fraying this thread but just to tie off the discussion on disconnecting the battery sensor as a possible solution to disable the auto s/s; unplugging the sensor does disable the auto s/s but it also plays havoc with the battery charging (unplugged--the voltage will vary between 12.2 and 13.8V, with sensor cable attached it sits 14.2V plus/minus 0.4V).

I'll be ordering mine (the SmartStopStart) soon...

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Hi guys, the video below is very enlightening, it describes how the smart alternator works, it`s mainly about dual charging but view the whole video, the last bit is interesting, for me I insist on a fully charged battery at all times no matter what type of journey I decide to embark on.

I attach a photo of my Merc ticking over after a 30 mile journey, you will note the charge rate is at 14.2 volts and ECO emblem in the center dial is yellow ( off ), the temperature is at normal 90 degrees and rev`s are around 900. The only warning light showing is for the handbrake as the car is on my drive.

The sensor was disconnected 6 months ago, if Mercedes considered a broken or disconnected battery sensor would have an adverse effect on other systems on the car they would have certainly provided a warning light to make drivers aware of the problem.

Last edited:

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Anaduff said,

Sorry for fraying this thread but just to tie off the discussion on disconnecting the battery sensor as a possible solution to disable the auto s/s; unplugging the sensor does disable the auto s/s but it also plays havoc with the battery charging (unplugged--the voltage will vary between 12.2 and 13.8V, with sensor cable attached it sits 14.2V plus/minus 0.4V).

No it does not, see photo of my Merc, and read previous post, you have to monitor voltage via the cig lighter as this connects directly to the battery, you cannot monitor the battery via the car electronics. 13.8 volts will put a nominal charge into the battery. I can assure all on here that with the sensor removed charging reverts to standard between 13.8 and 14.3 volts, well it certainly does on my Mercedes 2015 SLK and my 2012 C Class coupe.

I repeat get the Ebay device I linked to earlier, plug it in the Cig lighter socket, put a multimeter across the battery terminals start the car and check the Ebay device for accuracy against the multimeter, disconnect the sensor and drive the car, you will find the charge rate is between 13.8 and 14.3/4 volts.

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
You do know that TourX has AGM battery and ideally needs more voltage then lead acid battery, which is what you seem to be talking about from your voltage numbers.
I sure do not think I would be screwing around with electrical on brand new car trying to save $139. But everyone needs to do what they think is best.

Last edited:

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Lj said,

You do know that TourX has AGM battery and ideally needs more voltage then lead acid battery, which is what you seem to be talking about from your voltage numbers.

It appears a standard alternator charge of up to 14.4 volts will cause no issues with an AGM battery or any other lead acid battery.

If you do an Internet search on car forums you will find owners complaining of having to replace expensive AGM batteries, sometimes frequently withing 3 or 4 years, where prior to smart charging this did not appear to occur.

The link below has owner replacing a 14 year old AGM battery on a 3.2 TT with standard Alternator charging, this should prove that AGM batteries will not be damaged by a regular alternator, in fact they appear to last far longer without smart charge.

Take back control of your car.

From TT forum, Posted: 24 Nov 2018, 16:58

Just to complete the thread, fitt3d a new battery from euros at £181. Took the old battery off and it was the original from 2004, and showing 11.1v via code 20 on the recirc function with the engine not started

New battery on and code 20 now shows mid 12v with the ignition on but engine not started, with the engine started the alternator output is more stable with less fluctuation in output.

Other points car turns over much quicker, seems smoother. Hopefully fuel economy increases. If you buy a battery from euros you have to ask for it as the system they use does not pick out agm for the TT

Last edited:

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Lj said,

It appears a standard alternator charge of up to 14.4 volts will cause no issues with an AGM battery or any other lead acid battery.

If you do an Internet search on car forums you will find owners complaining of having to replace expensive AGM batteries, sometimes frequently withing 3 or 4 years, where prior to smart charging this did not appear to occur.

The link below has owner replacing a 14 year old AGM battery on a 3.2 TT with standard Alternator charging, this should prove that AGM batteries will not be damaged by a regular alternator, in fact they appear to last far longer without smart charge.

Take back control of your car.

From TT forum, Posted: 24 Nov 2018, 16:58

Just to complete the thread, fitt3d a new battery from euros at £181. Took the old battery off and it was the original from 2004, and showing 11.1v via code 20 on the recirc function with the engine not started

New battery on and code 20 now shows mid 12v with the ignition on but engine not started, with the engine started the alternator output is more stable with less fluctuation in output.

Other points car turns over much quicker, seems smoother. Hopefully fuel economy increases. If you buy a battery from euros you have to ask for it as the system, they use does not pick out agm for the TT

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Really not sure why anyone would want to modify their GM vehicle in the ways your suggesting. Maybe because those foreign cars do not have a cheap device to safely disable the SS system. Modern car electrical system is not a can of worms I want opened on my vehicle.
PS Why are you on this Buick forum, shouldn't you be on VW..
I mean Audi or Mercedes forum, since you do not even have a Buick.

Last edited:

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
LJ said,

Really not sure why anyone would want to modify their GM vehicle in the ways your suggesting.
PS Why are you on this Buick forum, shouldn't you be on VW..
I mean Audi or Mercedes forum, since you do not even have a Buick.

I saw the stop/start post and thought members might be interested to know how to deactivate stop/start for free, I then found members were replacing batteries early in the guarantee period which rarely occurred prior to smart charge and Stop/start, this then led to me providing the hack of disconnecting the neg rail sensor which deleted stop/start and also deleted smart charge with NO adverse problems associated the disconnect, the disconnect also means you don`t need the car reprogramming when you change battery and without stop/start you don`t need the expensive AGM battery, it`s up to you and other members whether you take advantage of the information. For me I have put it there and say goodbye.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
If Regal owners are replacing batteries so soon, they should have GM replace under war. In my experience AGM bateries last longer then lead acid. Sounds like your talking about vehicles with regenerative braking or something. Regal charging system is no smarter then charging systems on other basic vehicles.

Last edited:

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (Mostly)
It will be interesting to compare battery life between those of us with auto s/s defeated & those who are content with leaving the system functioning. Of course, that will be a few years down the line...

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Buick Ownership
2017 LaCrosse 1SL
It will be interesting to compare battery life between those of us with auto s/s defeated & those who are content with leaving the system functioning. Of course, that will be a few years down the line...
Agree! I'll happily report any start/stop related replacements as they come up in the future.

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Lj said,

Sounds like your talking about vehicles with regenerative braking or something. Regal charging system is no smarter then charging systems on other basic vehicles.

All charging systems are now smart and they all attempt to keep the battery at around 80% leaving room for regen, regeneration does not mean just braking it occurs when the car is either coasting with foot off gas or going down hill with foot off gas, (the weight of the car drives the alternator not the engine) if the driver does short journeys with little or no coasting the battery will remain near to 80% SOC and if left for any length of time will probably go flat, it`s not rocket science, this did not happen prior to smart alternators and stop/start. To get back to basics just disconnect the sensor, no stop/start and no flat battery even for short journeys. I am happy to trade a small amount of gas for no stop/start and a full battery no matter what type of journey I do.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Really... flat battery? That must be problem for imports whose owners think they can start moding charging system. Never had my cars get flat battery due to charging system, unless it malfunctions or some fool changes factory system. Regen is not function on Regals, unless your taking normal charging functions cars had since they had generators.
P.S. You may want to look into run flat tires...I mean batteries..

Last edited:

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I don't think it's wise to assume that just because another manufacturer's charging system works in a certain way, that GM's will too. They are likely miles apart in terms of both hardware and software. So thinking that some backyard solution that apparently helped solve a problem on a Ford or Audi should also be applied to a GM is folly.

As an aside, manufacturers spend millions of dollars developing and testing these systems, and obviously have the advantage of knowing the details of how every little component and line of code works, and how it interacts with other systems on the vehicle. It seems rather presumptuous to think that a 'guy on the street' knows better.

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Really... flat battery? That must be problem for imports whose owners think they can start moding charging system. Never had my cars get flat battery due to charging system, unless it malfunctions or some fool changes factory system. Regen is not function on Regals, unless your taking normal charging functions cars had since they had generators.
P.S. You may want to look into run flat tires...I mean batteries..
Well LJ if you have a sensor on the negative rail of your main battery you have a smart charging system and regeneration.

2012-2014 SILVERADO SIERRA TAHOE YUKON BATTERY CURRENT SENSOR NEW GM # 13505369

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.