Auto start-stop override module is now available!

Jack GS

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Metro Detroit
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal GS
Is it possible?!?! If we were to get ahold of the Insignia/Commodore switch assembly, swapping out the chip and corresponding buttons may awaken some dormant features in our Regals.

Issue 1: The Regal may have a different wiring harness and logic. So, these dormant features may not exist and this could flat out not even work.
Issue 2: The Insignia's "Tour" and Commodore's "VXR" mode buttons are where "GS" mode is on the Regal, if equipped. Being that it's only a switch, this may not be an issue (I'm no computer/electrical engineer).
Issue 3: I haven't had any luck finding the part yet... @Anaduff, I'm tagging you in.

Note the two spaces without buttons and extra bits on the Regal chip. I'm gonna dream of an OEM solution. If nothing else, I'll pretend my car has the extra features so I'm not looking at some ugly blank buttons. 😁14443

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Is it possible?!?! If we were to get ahold of the Insignia/Commodore switch assembly, swapping out the chip and corresponding buttons may awaken some dormant features in our Regals.
We were discussing this back around post #77 ;)

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS

Issue 1: The Regal may have a different wiring harness and logic. So, these dormant features may not exist and this could flat out not even work.
Issue 2: The Insignia's "Tour" and Commodore's "VXR" mode buttons are where "GS" mode is on the Regal, if equipped. Being that it's only a switch, this may not be an issue (I'm no computer/electrical engineer).
Issue 3: I haven't had any luck finding the part yet... @Anaduff, I'm tagging you in.

Note the two spaces without buttons and extra bits on the Regal chip. I'm gonna dream of an OEM solution. If nothing else, I'll pretend my car has the extra features so I'm not looking at some ugly blank buttons. 😁View attachment 14443
Contacted a dealer in Australia and one in Germany for prices! I’ll keep you guys posted!..even if it doesn’t work at least I have all the buttons filled!:)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Got module from USPS today, reminds me of skip shift eliminator I got for TA and G8 years ago. Except I think those were like $20 and was just connector and zip ties.20190314_175508.jpg

Last edited:

Anaduff

St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Just an update; the battery sensor is still disconnected but the engine light did come on. The error code is U01B0 which lists as 'lost communication with battery sensor'. Have cleared the code & will see what occurs next time out.
A bit surprised that the battery voltage monitor in the DIC still works--seems to be hovering around 13.5V.

Anaduff

St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Just thinking aloud here - it seems there are now two issues to consider. First is trying to trick auto s/s into not working and the second (brought to light by Robuk) is even if auto s/s is defeated (but with the battery condition sensor still working), there still may be a less than optimal battery charging programme. But at least you won't loose any sleep over your starter failing prematurely...

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I assume easy install?
It is very easy. Ten minutes total maybe. After you do it once, it would probably take less than five.

My GS is so much easier to park now(that was my main gripe with the auto stop, being too sensitive the second you hit 0 mph.

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Anaduf said,

Just an update; the battery sensor is still disconnected but the engine light did come on. The error code is U01B0 which lists as 'lost communication with battery sensor'. Have cleared the code & will see what occurs next time out.
A bit surprised that the battery voltage monitor in the DIC still works--seems to be hovering around 13.5V.

It appears at 13.5 volts the battery is not being charged, you need to take battery voltage from source or cig lighter socket which is a direct link to battery I believe, the Ebay device I posted should do that, ( best to check Ebay device with a multimeter across the battery terminals to ensure accuracy ) my Merc charges mainly at 14.2/3 volts and drops to around 13.8 at times then comes back up again, with the Ebay monitor pluged into the cig socket you can follow the actual charging pattern, 14.3 volts won`t overcharge the battery.

Here is a link to the F150 forum discussing this subject,

Lee308 said,

Before disconnecting Stupid Charge, in 40’f temps, my starter sounded slow, after disconnecting Stupid Charge, starter spins like a top in the coldest weather.
PS, I still have the original battery, 2013 truck. (And jumper cables)

Last edited:

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
Link below shows that if a fault occurs the system reverts to standard output therefore you can safely disconnect the sensor.

If the smart alternator controller detects a system fault, the smart charging functionality will be disabled. DTCs set and the engine management and battery warning lights illuminated. Provided the fault is not within the alternator, it will still function conventionally with its output regulated to 14.75 V.
Note;
Smart charge systems can be highly intolerant to any alternator that is not manufactured to the original specifications.

Last edited:

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
Props to all the tech wizards contributing to this thread.

While I do find the auto stop-start system somewhat annoying, I see it being over stressful to consider messing around with the electrical system to disable it at the risk of screwing something else up. Modern vehicle electrical systems are just too complicated, interconnected, and sensitive. In my mind, the risk is greater than the reward...not losing any sleep over potentially having to replace a starter in 5+ years (if that), and by that time the battery would most likely need renewal anyway.

Carry on!

Robuk

Buick Ownership
no
89quattro said,

While I do find the auto stop-start system somewhat annoying, I see it being over stressful to consider messing around with the electrical system to disable it at the risk of screwing something else up.

It`s been disconnected on my Merc for 6 months, Read the article in my last post above ie,

If the smart alternator controller detects a system fault, the smart charging functionality will be disabled. DTCs set and the engine management and battery warning lights MAY BE illuminated ( in my case they are not ). Provided the fault is not within the alternator, it will still function conventionally with its output regulated to 14.75 V, in my case it is between 13.8 and 14.2/3V.

Here is a link from the F150 Forum, they are complaining of failed Batteries and the smart system shutting down ancillaries.

Anaduff

St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
I've got a battery charger hooked-up to get the battery up to full charge--was at 13.3V (checked with a good DVM). I'll see what happens tomorrow on my trip to the grocery store (about 25 miles with some Interstate). If you don't hear from me again, send a tow truck with a bottle of whiskey (former for the car, latter for me).

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
Here is a link from the F150 Forum, they are complaining of failed Batteries and the smart system shutting down ancillaries.
Yes, I've read all posts in this thread, and IMHO it just doesn't make sense at $139 to cover a possible battery replacement down the road that will cost $180. Add in any unseen/unknown electrical system hiccups that might be introduced and its a hard pass.
Also, I wouldn't compare Ford gremlins to Buick's...different species and mutant DNA.
Good luck to all.

Anaduff

St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
Well I suppose doing a cost/benefit analysis is one way to look at it; but I suspect the underlying desire among most car owners is to 'make their car their own'--whatever that might mean to the individual. Might be pin-striping, re-badging (!), different exterior lights or even fuzzy dice. Another desire is to have the car do what you want (or expect) it to do; which covers the auto s/s business & the Trifecta tunes. It just comes down to personal preference, and I hope nobody reading these comments feels that they are under some obligation to conform to what someone else is doing--we're just inclined to tinker (and hopefully not destroy it in the process).

whitexkr

Buick Ownership
Envision
Yes, I've read all posts in this thread, and IMHO it just doesn't make sense at $139 to cover a possible battery replacement down the road that will cost $180. Add in any unseen/unknown electrical system hiccups that might be introduced and its a hard pass.
Also, I wouldn't compare Ford gremlins to Buick's...different species and mutant DNA.
Good luck to all.
It seems that you are confusing the several discussions going on in this thread.

The original thread was about the $139 SmartStopStart module. This module does not mess with the charging system at all. It simply uses the auto stop override already built into the vehicle for mechanics safety when working on the car by signally 'hood open' briefly when the car is started. It is simple and it works.

The charging system mods and other mods discussed in this thread have nothing to do with this product. You are right though that references to other makes of vehicle have little significance to the Regal.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.