• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

backup camera guidelines disappear randomly..

L J

Regal TourX
Leave it to GM to blame the customer for wanting to back up before the cheapest-possible CPU is finished "booting up". Are you sure Apple doesn't own GM? ;)
I am pretty sure Apple does not own GM, but I guess they could own PSA.
If Apple owned them price would be double for car.

L J

Regal TourX
Required by law, and very easy to do.

All you have to do is detect the fault and patch the video feed straight to the screen.
You sound like the programmer's boss...if thats what they still call them?
I never was programmer, but very easy to do ...makes it sound like your not writing the code.

Foxbat

Michiana
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
I never was programmer, but very easy to do ...makes it sound like your not writing the code.
I mean how hard can it be? It's just 1s and 0s… ;)

Johnny Bravo

Buffalo, NY
2018 Buick Regal GS
Just curious as to what software or website you are using that identified this TSB for "missing rear camera gridlines"? I also recently had the entire touch screen black out on a restart numerous times in a row. On the 3rd restart, it finally rebooted. I hope this TSB corrects that problem as well. I have been subscribing to http://www.alldatadiy.com/. I haven't started a subscription as yet as the vehicle is still under 3 yr warranty. Thanks for this update.

Last edited:

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
2018.5 Regal GS
Just curious as to what software or website you are using that identified this TSB for "missing rear camera gridlines"? I also recently had the entire touch screen black out on a restart numerous times in a row. On the 3rd restart, it finally rebooted. I hope this TSB corrects that problem as well. I have been subscribing to http://www.alldatadiy.com/. I haven't started a subscription as yet as the vehicle is still under 3 yr warranty. Thanks for this update.
I have access to All Data through my company. I don't think this will address your issues with blank screens and rebooting.

There is another update that is over the air that might address your issues.
TSB 19-NA-100 Radio Software Version 22.8 Over-the-Air Update - Nov 4, 2019

Kybuck83

Orange County, CA
2019 Regal TourX Essence
I'm subscribing to AllDataDIY, although for a 2018 TourX since 2019 wasn't an option yet. The newest TSB listed for the TourX is from January 2018, so it obviously has some catching up to do.

G-715101

It is interesting that the TSB applies to all recent GM cars.. Can anyone get a copy of the actual TSB?

I ask because the reset was not persistent. It lasted two days, and now the problem has returned, though seemingly more random than before.

Curious and somewhat frustrating.....
This is an annoying situation:
Buick Advisor
editor@mybuickmagazine.com

General Motors Corporation

I received your well done Buick publication, excellent work!

I have a beautiful 2019 Buick Regal Avenir. It is overall a nice car but I continue to experience randomly disappearing back-up camera guide-lines. When shifting into reverse, the lines are there for 3-5 seconds and randomly disappear just when I need the lines. It is as if the guide lines time out or the virtual button in the lower left was pushed. The icon to turn the lines on also disappears and I must shift to neutral and then back to reverse to get the lines to return, but they very quickly disappear again. It is really annoying and actually presents a significant safety issue. I also experience random situations where the entire Infotainment screen goes black and nothing works. With the black screen my OnStar navigation is unusable.
I have taken the car to the selling Dealer three times. On the last visit I was given a copy of the service Bulletin #18-Na-385: Rear View Camera Guidelines are Present then Disappear. The Bulletin says that GM is aware of the condition as it is the design intent then further advising the dealers not to replace the unit. (Copy of Service Bulletin attached)
  • My 2015 Regal did not have a similar problem with the touch screen. Wish I could have my good old 2015 Buick back.
  • My friend in Traverse City with a 2019 Buick Regal who recommended purchasing a new Regal to me does not experience such a problem
  • It obviously is not a problem in all cars with all of the GM Infotainment systems
  • I suspect the GM cars that the executives drive do not experience disappearing gridlines and black screens.
  • Contact to Buick Customer service results in being told to take it to the dealer.
  • It appears that my Infotainment system should be replaced but the GM service bulletin tells the dealer not to replace the system?
I have been living with this problem much too long. Perhaps your organization will carry the message to upper level management. This is a problem that should have been corrected.
This problem is significant enough that I can no longer in good faith recommend a GM car to my friends and neighbors when an ongoing problem cannot be corrected?
I thank you for understanding my frustration and perhaps you and your staff will be kind enough to inform what can be done. Thank you for your understanding.

Gainesville Florida, 32608

NaviMKE

2018 Buick Regal TourX
This is an annoying situation:
Buick Advisor
editor@mybuickmagazine.com

General Motors Corporation

I received your well done Buick publication, excellent work!

I have a beautiful 2019 Buick Regal Avenir. It is overall a nice car but I continue to experience randomly disappearing back-up camera guide-lines. When shifting into reverse, the lines are there for 3-5 seconds and randomly disappear just when I need the lines. It is as if the guide lines time out or the virtual button in the lower left was pushed. The icon to turn the lines on also disappears and I must shift to neutral and then back to reverse to get the lines to return, but they very quickly disappear again. It is really annoying and actually presents a significant safety issue. I also experience random situations where the entire Infotainment screen goes black and nothing works. With the black screen my OnStar navigation is unusable.
I have taken the car to the selling Dealer three times. On the last visit I was given a copy of the service Bulletin #18-Na-385: Rear View Camera Guidelines are Present then Disappear. The Bulletin says that GM is aware of the condition as it is the design intent then further advising the dealers not to replace the unit. (Copy of Service Bulletin attached)
  • My 2015 Regal did not have a similar problem with the touch screen. Wish I could have my good old 2015 Buick back.
  • My friend in Traverse City with a 2019 Buick Regal who recommended purchasing a new Regal to me does not experience such a problem
  • It obviously is not a problem in all cars with all of the GM Infotainment systems
  • I suspect the GM cars that the executives drive do not experience disappearing gridlines and black screens.
  • Contact to Buick Customer service results in being told to take it to the dealer.
  • It appears that my Infotainment system should be replaced but the GM service bulletin tells the dealer not to replace the system?
I have been living with this problem much too long. Perhaps your organization will carry the message to upper level management. This is a problem that should have been corrected.
This problem is significant enough that I can no longer in good faith recommend a GM car to my friends and neighbors when an ongoing problem cannot be corrected?
I thank you for understanding my frustration and perhaps you and your staff will be kind enough to inform what can be done. Thank you for your understanding.

Gainesville Florida, 32608
I have had the same issue with my 2018 Regal TourX since I received it from the factory in July 2018. But I may have finally found (after 2 1/2 years of no help from GM) a solution for all you folks who have the same thing. I think it is a computer CPU problem, in that the computer is trying to do too many tasks at start up for the limited power of the CPU. So it has to cut out something. In November, an over the air push update went awry and my traffic info disappeared. Back and forth with OnStar pushing repairs over the air to no avail. They finally told me to go to the dealer and tell them to hook it up to Detroit and download an upgrade. Once they did that, I noticed more functions that had never worked now did, but the backup lines still sometimes disappeared. One day I started the car and watched what happened. I noticed what seemed to be a boot sequence, things came on in an order, instead of all at once. With some experimenting, I found that if I wait about 30 to 45 seconds after starting, before I shifted into reverse, the gridlines stay up. I used to start it and immediately throw it into reverse and back out of the garage. As soon as it got near the door frame to trigger a chirp, the lines would disappear. This kind of supports my thought that the computer CPU is underpowered for all the tasks they have added over the years. While this mostly works, there are still times it doesn’t. So I have started making sure the nav screen is up before I shut it down in the garage. Then when I start it up, if I wait until all the nav processes have run, I usually don’t lose the backup lines. I hope this helps some of you. I have seen a lot of frustrated posts on this issue over the years.

a200qa

tourx
I am the OP, and it seems that the latest service update fixed the problem. When we brought our 2018 in for normal service, I mentioned the backup lines disappearing (well, for a second time, but the first time at this dealer - we did not like the dealer we used for the first service). The service order reads:

C/S THAT WHEN IN REVERSE THE GRID LINES ON THE CAMERA DISAPPEAR.
CHECK VEHICLE TO CONFIRM CONDITION. GUIDELINES ARE FOUND TO BE MISSING WHEN IN REVERSE. CHECK SOFTWARE AND FIND UPDATE AVAILABLE.
PER #19-NA-251, REPROGRAM RADIO. VERIFY OPERATION. REPAIR COMPLETE

So far, after 3 weeks, the backup lines are there every time.

White guy

tourx
And our selling dealer says that the only way to repair this issue is to buy and replace our current audio head unit. Why? We had purchased the car on 12/23/19 and it was in dealer service from 12/30/19 to 1/24/20 and now has less than 1600 miles on it.

This is a travesty and shows the level of customer service that GM is famous for.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I just had my 2018 Tourx updated to the latest radio version 22.9 last week. Similar to @NaviMKE I now notice the boot up sequence when I first start the car. For me, when the system is set to the main home screen where the left side has Audio at the top and phone at the bottom, and Nav to the right, if I wait until the Nav section of the screen finished loading before I shift into reverse the backup camera grid lines work as they should. If I shift to reverse before the Nav section if finished, they appear and then disappear.

Also, once the Nav section never loaded - just displayed loading animation - when I stopped at a red light, I clicked on 'settings' then 'running applications' and selected "stop" next to "navigation". the system displayed a warning message and I hit 'ok', and the Nav restarted just fine like there was no problem at all. Similar to restarting an app on your phone.

saab93driver

2019 TourX
My radio was just replaced because the original one wouldn't take the update to 22.9 due to some internal error. Before someone asks the radio was readily available from GM stock so I didn't have to wait weeks, I have S&S package. Anyway, the reason I wanted it updated wasn't because of the lines dissappearing but because I lost real-time traffic on the navi and Onstar said it needed to be updated. New radio is at version 22.9, after some setup of the new infotainment and adding my existing profile the real time traffic works like it should. It never really bothered me much but the lines still disappear sometimes unless system has booted up completely.

greenne

Albany, NY
2019 Regal TourX
To help solve the problem..I highly recommend n update to 22.9. I had mine updated due to an unrelated navigation problem and the difference is astounding. Also, grid lines have not disappeared once since update. They disappeared maybe 5-6 times total before update. That never bothered me as all my other cars are old school with no grid lines, but I can see how it bothers some folks.

Not saying it will solve all problems..but step in the right direction.

NaviMKE

2018 Buick Regal TourX
I just had my 2018 Tourx updated to the latest radio version 22.9 last week. Similar to @NaviMKE I now notice the boot up sequence when I first start the car. For me, when the system is set to the main home screen where the left side has Audio at the top and phone at the bottom, and Nav to the right, if I wait until the Nav section of the screen finished loading before I shift into reverse the backup camera grid lines work as they should. If I shift to reverse before the Nav section if finished, they appear and then disappear.

Also, once the Nav section never loaded - just displayed loading animation - when I stopped at a red light, I clicked on 'settings' then 'running applications' and selected "stop" next to "navigation". the system displayed a warning message and I hit 'ok', and the Nav restarted just fine like there was no problem at all. Similar to restarting an app on your phone.
Thanks for the hint on the blank nav screen. That just happened to me the other day. It was ok when I came out of the store and restarted. I was wondering how to handle that without pulling in somewhere and restarting.

landsharkmz3

I have 22.9 and my lines disappear if I don't sit for the 45 seconds, which is an unacceptable amount of time. I have no difference in disappearing lines if I start the car with a door behind me or not.

Katsubento

Hawaii
2018.5 Regal GS
To help solve the problem..I highly recommend n update to 22.9. I had mine updated due to an unrelated navigation problem and the difference is astounding. Also, grid lines have not disappeared once since update. They disappeared maybe 5-6 times total before update. That never bothered me as all my other cars are old school with no grid lines, but I can see how it bothers some folks.

Not saying it will solve all problems..but step in the right direction.
I've the update. Lines still vanish.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!