• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

backup camera guidelines disappear randomly..

Banjo

Buick Ownership
2018 Reagal GS
Can A Better Quality Back up Cam be installed, like one from a Cadillac?.............By Installed I mean plug and Play

Davidayackle

Can A Better Quality Back up Cam be installed, like one from a Cadillac?.............By Installed I mean plug and Play
Dude... You know all GM parts are the same right? It's a GM part, same quality across the board. If I take a pile of shit and stamp Cadillac on it would you buy it? If I take a Wall Mart shit part and stamp Cadillac on it would you buy it?

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
Dude... You know all GM parts are the same right? It's a GM part, same quality across the board. If I take a pile of shit and stamp Cadillac on it would you buy it? If I take a Wall Mart shit part and stamp Cadillac on it would you buy it?
Yes they are all the same across brands, but GM actually upgraded the resolution on their backup camera recently. Its one of the sharpest in the industry now. However, its very unlikely it can be added to our cars.

You can find the list of GM vehicles with the standard resolution and high resolution camera here:

GM Begins Rolling Out HD Backup Camera Systems

Chevy Blazer:

landsharkmz3

I had the lines disappear on me yesterday for the first time (had it 3 months).

I would strongly suspect that our cameras are analog video. The newer camera systems are digital, typically LVDS. If there was a reasonable way to convert the car, I would be all over it. Sadly, I highly doubt it is feasible without a significant amount of effort.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I've had this happen as well (backup grid lines don't show up or show up for a split second then disappear). I agree with the hypothesis that it is software related re the boot up sequence. I've noticed that if I start the car and shift out of Park right away it happens. I suspect the computer has not fully loaded. Hopefully it will be something GM can fix via an over the air update since this system is used by several different cars.

Miltownsho

Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
That doesn't actually seem likely but... Okay.
Correct! There is a USB radio update we just did on mine and the problem is 99% better. Only time it disappears and defaults to the zoomed in camera is very rarely when the car is first started. That is actually by design while everything is loading and has a bulletin on it stating such.

Long story short, if you have a V2 operating system take it to the dealer and tell them to check for USB radio updates

I manage a Buick GMC service department so I know this for a fact FYI.

bollox74

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Correct! There is a USB radio update we just did on mine and the problem is 99% better. Only time it disappears and defaults to the zoomed in camera is very rarely when the car is first started. That is actually by design while everything is loading and has a bulletin on it stating such.

Long story short, if you have a V2 operating system take it to the dealer and tell them to check for USB radio updates

I manage a Buick GMC service department so I know this for a fact FYI.
If you can post the TSB# or even an attachment of the service bulletin itself that would be of great help to us all!

Thanks!

Miltownsho

Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
If you can post the TSB# or even an attachment of the service bulletin itself that would be of great help to us all!

Thanks!
#18-NA-385: Rear View Camera Guidance Lines are Present Then Disappear - (Dec 21, 2018)

This is the most current bulletin relating to the issue:

Involved Region or Country
North America and N.A. Export Regions​
Additional Options (RPOs)
Equipped with Infotainment System RPO IOR, IOS or IOT​
Condition
Some customers may comment that at times the Rear View Camera (RVC) guidelines appear initially then within a few seconds disappear and the RVC will remain on during the concern. Additionally, no RVC related DTCs will be found. This concern may be observed when a customer starts the car and immediately places the shifter in Reverse while the infotainment system is still in the initial boot up process.​
Cause
The cause of the condition may be that the system has not fully booted prior to receiving a Reverse input, and has entered a design-intent “robust” rear vision camera mode to ensure a rearview camera image is available for the duration of the Reverse cycle.​
Correction
This condition, as described above, is not a malfunction of the system, but a limitation due to the high work load of the system during start up. DO NOT replace any parts for this condition, but do verify proper operation of the system by completing the Verify Proper Operation Procedure below.​
Service Procedure
Note: GM engineering is aware of the condition as it is design intent. Inform the customer of the system behavior and ability to clear the condition by exiting and entering Reverse gear.
Verify Proper Operation Procedure
Verify the RVC display guidance lines are present when the system is allowed sufficient time to complete the boot-up process. This boot time should be relatively quick, but for confirmation purposes it is recommended to wait roughly 45 seconds.
  • If the RVC guidance lines are present when sufficient boot-up time is given, no further action is required.
    Note: Please communicate to the customer that the RVC system is working as designed and this is a normal condition of their vehicle. Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this Bulletin.
  • If the RVC guidance lines are missing and/or disappear when sufficient boot-up time (up to 45 seconds) is given, then this bulletin information does not apply and SI should be referenced for further diagnosis.

Miltownsho

Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
I have had no camera guidelines since I took delivery on January 2nd, 2019.

Mine would briefly show and then disappear unless I put it back in neutral regardless of how long the car had been running, so the above referenced TSB was inaccurate. Now that we have updated the radio via USB the bulletin above is correct.

Hence, why I said ask them to check for a USB radio update.

Mine has worked almost flawlessly since updating the radio.

ECM56

Falls Church, Virginia
Buick Ownership
2018.5 (White needle) TourX Essence DC1 DC2 S&S Pano
I back into my driveway to park because I hate backing out into the street - people sometimes come along pretty fast. So, most times, when I put it in reverse the car has been running for quite a while . . . sometimes hours. I have seen the problem a few times backing into the driveway so I don't believe this startup workload story.

Miltownsho

Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
I back into my driveway to park because I hate backing out into the street - people sometimes come along pretty fast. So, most times, when I put it in reverse the car has been running for quite a while . . . sometimes hours. I have seen the problem a few times backing into the driveway so I don't believe this startup workload story.
As I said I haven't had the issue since the update. The TSB makes sense now.

landsharkmz3

#18-NA-385: Rear View Camera Guidance Lines are Present Then Disappear - (Dec 21, 2018)

The words "design intent" in that document are there very intentionally. They really bug the %$^ out of me. It is not the design intent. The design intent is full functionality. I can promise you the design engineers were forced to use less memory and a weaker processor than they needed to actually make the system work as intended.

What is actually happening is a fail-safe crash of the feature. GM has deemed this fail-safe crash as an acceptable situation, and therefore called it "design intent" so they legally won't get into trouble. Requiring someone to wait 45+ seconds after the car has started to put the car into reverse to avoid a feature crash should not be acceptable.

FishOhio

Central Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal Tourx Essence White Frost Tricoat
I noticed the exact same complaint on the GMC Silverado forum. This must be a software issue. In my experience, waiting 45 seconds before shifting out of park doesn't seem to make a difference.

When I read the TSB I don't see a fix mentioned - I only see 'it is working as designed'. I'm not sure what USB radio update @Miltownsho is referencing.

CTMechE

CT
Buick Ownership
'19 Regal TourX, Essence
I noticed the exact same complaint on the GMC Silverado forum. This must be a software issue. In my experience, waiting 45 seconds before shifting out of park doesn't seem to make a difference.

When I read the TSB I don't see a fix mentioned - I only see 'it is working as designed'. I'm not sure what USB radio update @Miltownsho is referencing.
Same here - lots of other GM forums with the same complaint. (Nor does the TSB say anything about updated software)

The sad thing is that the camera framerate is smoother when the lines disappear, so I'm not sure what I like better. I have zero hope that GM will fix it, though. It meets the legal requirement, and they clearly don't consider it a "failure" so I won't hold my breath.

Is there a way to verify software versions to know if people have the same version as Miltownsho ?

landsharkmz3

One thing that is frustrating is that the compute requirements are very low for the dynamic overlay using steering wheel angle. With any half decent electrical hardware, they should not run into frame rate limitations just because they are presenting the overlay.

Foxbat

Michiana
Buick Ownership
2018 Quicksilver Regal Sportback Essence AWD
Leave it to GM to blame the customer for wanting to back up before the cheapest-possible CPU is finished "booting up". Are you sure Apple doesn't own GM? ;)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Leave it to GM to blame the customer for wanting to back up before the cheapest-possible CPU is finished "booting up". Are you sure Apple doesn't own GM? ;)
Really have not read thru thread since I do not use much, its hard to teach old dog new tricks.
Although taking back the Power Stop brake upgrade to UPS yesterday, the camera made it easy backing up to the
curb.That 4 wheel set of ceramic pads and discs weighed 70 lb.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
Leave it to GM to blame the customer for wanting to back up before the cheapest-possible CPU is finished "booting up"
The lines going away long after boot-up is annoying, but I do appreciate the engineering effort put in so the camera works even during the boot cycle.

Pedal Commander