• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.
  • In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Buick owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Best tires for your Regal

Best replacement tire set you had already tried on your Regal?

• Total voters

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Not quite right. for traditional IRAs and 401(k)s, money goes in pretax, but when you pull the money out it is taxed at the going income tax rate. So you can control how much you pull out to stay in the 10%, 12%, 20%, 22% etc tax brackets, but it definitely does not come out tax free, Roths come out tax free because you already paid the taxes going in. The 20% for withdrawing early is actually only 10% and that is a penalty on top of the income taxes. So if you are in the 10% tax bracket, the money comes out at 20%, but if you are at the 22% tax bracket, then the penalty makes in 32% (real ouch). Now there are two very nice loopholes that allow you to pull money early. One is to rule of 72(t) to make substantially similar annual withdrawals (google it for the details). The second is using the rule of 55 to reach into your last employer’s 401(k) without penalty if you stop working the year you turn 55 (or later). So if your birthday is on Dec 31st, you can actually start this at 54 years of age on Jan 1st and have almost a year before you actually turn 55. This is what I;m using to retire early. The real loophole was that my employer’s 401(k) happened to allow me to rollover everything from past employers 401(k) or from external Roth or traditional IRAs, so I essentially have access to all of it. Also some employer plans would require you to withdraw all of it to use the rule of 55, and that doesn’t work because then you could be taxed at an insane rate if you had 7+ figures in your 401(k). Luckily, my employers 401(k) allows me to pull as much or as little as I want. The only part I cannot access right now is anything I put into a recent Roth because there is a 5 year rule on Roths and this a Roth was started because the company I used to work for got acquired, so the Roth started in 2020.

Alas, 7 years ago, I knew nothing about retirement, I had been contributing for decades, but had my head in the

sand just hoping it would work out. It wasn’t until a couple job scares the kicked me into overdrive to pay off the house and get out of debt to ward off any future job scares. Then I saw the light, rather than wait for a job scare, I just planned to leave on my own terms. So I retired last August and am not looking back.

State taxes, on the other hand is another mess. Luckily the state of IL does not tax retirement income.

Finally, you ask about federal social security and yes, it is taxed at the going rate depending on your marginal tax rate. So if all you are making is SS, the taxes aren’t very much. I;m not depending at all on SS, but I do plan to start collecting SS as soon as I legally can. Maybe I’ll use my SS checks to lease a Huracon or something insane like that.

So after that long winded diversion… I love my new Pirelli tires. I;ve never owned Michelins though.
Thanks...have two windows open know searching out 401k rule of 55 and 401k rule 72t. Since there are so many of us near or at retirement maybe we should make a separate thread to discuss this crap. I try not to think about it since I fear I may never be able to retire, but like you I have to pull my head out of the sand (or my ass) and make sure I am prepared. I started early on my 401, but my wife doesn't anymore so it hasn't grown as much as I would like. We also had a kid a little later and purchased a new home which means if I don't pay it off early I will be paying until just about legal retirement age. It would be nice to be in a position where I had FU money, had that earlier when both of us were working and had a smaller mortgage and it made living through a tough job environment better. Maybe if I felt I could just bounce early it would allow me to hang on longer.

So now my tire content: I am still enjoying my BFGoodrich Comps but I am more convinced that they are the source of my noise. During normal driving they are not loud at all, probably similar to stock on most surfaces, but during certain braking they almost growl. Early on I thought it could have been the slotted and drilled rotors on my car but I didn't notice this over the winter. But I was running studded snows so maybe that covered up some of the noise. I was thinking about switching the tires from side to side to see if the sound went away under braking, but that seems like a lot of effort for something that doesn't really bother me.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Rich Buick top trim guys? I don’t feel rich. You can call me rich if I buy an exotic or some other 6 figure car. My buick is only the 5th car I have purchased for me or my wife in my life. I tend to spend a little more and drive them forever. Given your list of vehicles, I am pretty certain I have spent less than you on vehicles.
I tend to kid around if you had not noticed.
I kinda thought rich Buick top trim guys sounded good, as opposed to us poor Buick lower trim guys.
Since they seemingly made a bunch more Essence versions, it is only right I should try to use the catch phrase.. Preferred lives matter, but it sounds like it isn't gonna get any redistribution of wealth attention from uncle Joe.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
To get back on track, tire discussion makes my head hurt less, then actually trying to make a plan.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Illini country, surrounded by bean fields
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX Essence
. It would be nice to be in a position where I had FU money, had that earlier when both of us were working and had a smaller mortgage and it made living through a tough job environment better. Maybe if I felt I could just bounce early it would allow me to hang on longer.
Believe me, I spent 24 years working hard to make more money, only to realize that whenever I got a raise I ended up spending it on lifestyle. It wasn’t until 2014 that I turned everything around, stopped going out to eat cold turkey, and ate PH&J and ramen while cash flowing a two kids through college that I realized you can live on very little and pile everything onto debt. I paid off 2 cars in 2 months, then spent 6 years piling into that mortgage. Once the mortgage is paid off and you no longer have any payments, it’s amazing how fast your bank accounts grow. Some ways to accelerate the process: downsize the house, sell everything your don’t need on Craigslist, cut all the unneeded expenses like cable and multiple streaming services, get a part-time side job. Even penny counts. I paid off my house in 2020, and without the mortgage hanging over your neck, it makes the retirement decision much, much easier. I also learned a bit more about investing and after digging deep into podcasts and bloggers (Dave Ramsey, ChooseFI, Mr. Money Mustache, The Retirement Manifesto). I came up with a plan, constantly modified it as I learned more, and now I’m living the dream. So getting your head out of ‘the sand” (a.k.a. “your ass”) is the first step towards financial independence. PM me if you (or anyone) wants to talk more.

Now I get to focus on fun stuff like building a big shed and buying some classic cars.

Plus I don’t miss my Contis…

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I tend to kid around if you had not noticed.
I kinda thought rich Buick top trim guys sounded good, as opposed to us poor Buick lower trim guys.
Since they seemingly made a bunch more Essence versions, it is only right I should try to use the catch phrase.. Preferred lives matter, but it sounds like it isn't gonna get any redistribution of wealth attention from uncle Joe.
The Government isn’t going to solve it despite what they all say during campaign season - on either side of the fence. That’s all on you. You can either increase income or decrease expenses. Choose one, the other, or both.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
The Government isn’t going to solve it despite what they all say during campaign season - on either side of the fence. That’s all on you. You can either increase income or decrease expenses. Choose one, the other, or both.
Thanks Bud LL... but I don't worry about money anymore, did I mention I like to kid around?

Last edited:

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
Thanks Bud LL... but I don't worry about money anymore, did I mention I like to kid around?
Well I shouldn’t have to worry about money, but then again, it’s really easy to overextend… which is why I don’t drive a Huracon. Imagine how much those tires must cost

adam728

Buick Ownership
Buick
When I was shopping for new tires in Jan, I was shocked at how I used to be able to get a new set of good tires for $500-700, and now the prices have climbed to $800-1200.
19 years ago I purchased four Super Swamper LTB 34x10.50x16 tires from Four Wheel Parts for $406 to my door. We talked about this at work maybe a month ago, they were $285 each. I just pulled the site again, now $313.69 each! These tires haven't been changed in forever. Tossed em in a cart, now $1277.04 to my door.

That said, it's been a while since a good set of tires for 18's has been below $800. Even back in 2018 I was tire shopping for my GMC Terrain (235/55/18 vs our 235/50/18 on the TourX). Lowest on my list was $780, and almost everything fell in the $800-$1000 range.4 years ago.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
19 years ago I purchased four Super Swamper LTB 34x10.50x16 tires from Four Wheel Parts for $406 to my door. We talked about this at work maybe a month ago, they were $285 each. I just pulled the site again, now $313.69 each! These tires haven't been changed in forever. Tossed em in a cart, now $1277.04 to my door.

That said, it's been a while since a good set of tires for 18's has been below $800. Even back in 2018 I was tire shopping for my GMC Terrain (235/55/18 vs our 235/50/18 on the TourX). Lowest on my list was $780, and almost everything fell in the $800-$1000 range.4 years ago.
When i finished college in 1990, I remember paying $69 per tire for some Bridgestones for my 85 Supra. Prices have certainly gone up over the years. Then again, if I could turn back time, I'd push really hard for my dad to buy that lime green Superbird for $3400 and park it instead of buying the Plymouth Satellite for $1400 right next to the Superbird. I knew then that I could pick out winners. Why I still haven't purchased anything like this is beyond me. The 90s Supra was a similar deal. Even the Lexus LFA

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
245/45R18 Nexen, Hankook, Kumho, Goodyear and Nitto can be purchased for $130-$180 per tire according to Sam's Club website. Some tires are out of stock. Most of them went up around 15% over the year. Cooper Endeavor looks like an interesting new tire.

Looking to update and upgrade your Buick luxury automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

DrFaustus

Denver
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
Nokian has been making tires in Russia. They are going to have to move production. I do not know if they have enough capacity in Finland. I'm sure there are people over there scrambling to figure it out in time to get tires out before next season.

Jmlo96

Pittsburgh
Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX Essence
Nokian has been making tires in Russia. They are going to have to move production. I do not know if they have enough capacity in Finland. I'm sure there are people over there scrambling to figure it out in time to get tires out before next season.
I know Nokian has been opening up some tires down south too. I believe they have a plant in Tennessee. I'd imagine they are making mostly US market tires there, like all seasons and light truck tires.

LLninja

Greenback Troll #1
Buick Ownership
I know Nokian has been opening up some tires down south too. I believe they have a plant in Tennessee. I'd imagine they are making mostly US market tires there, like all seasons and light truck tires.
According to this Dayton, which I assume is Ohio.

DrFaustus

Denver
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal TourX
My last two sets of Nokian winter tires were made in Russia. Including the ones on the car right now. So they certainly weren't supplying the winter tires from those plants before.