• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

Best tires for your Regal

Best replacement tire set you had already tried on your Regal?

• Total voters

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I was thinking mountain lion or bear.
Definitely not a bear, their claws are very wide. Maybe he was driving crazy by a parking garage with those one way tire shredders and slide into it sideways. 😄

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Definitely not a bear, their claws are very wide. Maybe he was driving crazy by a parking garage with those one way tire shredders and slide into it sideways. 😄
His X GF with 9" nails?

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I was going to get Primacy MXM4, but Discount Tire did not have them in stock. They discounted Michelin Premier A/S. So I had them installed last week. Sadly, I caught a nail the next day. Instead of replacing it I will just swap them for a set of ProContact TX without ContiSilent. Premier A/S feel very premium/refined, they are very close to perfect overall. Where they lack is fuel efficiency: mine dropped from 24-27 city to 14-16 city. Acceleration is also much slower on Premier A/S, probably due to a softer compound. They are very quiet and plush, but sidewall is not as springy as ProContact TX. I feel like if I did get Primacy MXM4 it would've been a perfect tire.
I cannot recommend Toyo Versado Noir and Michelin Premier A/S.
I wonder how good is the new Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S II and Continental PureContact LS. Both of them could be good replacements, but I am tired of wasting money at this point, so I will go back to stock.

Last edited:

D2R

Michigan
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX Essence
Tire rolling resistance plays a huge factor in MPG but the city drop is better explained in just plain old crappy city driving. Traffic & start stops wreak havoc burning lots of fuel
The tire alone reduced it by about 40% sounds too unreal though?

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Tire rolling resistance plays a huge factor in MPG but the city drop is better explained in just plain old crappy city driving. Traffic & start stops wreak havoc burning lots of fuel
My theory is that softer compound slows down acceleration. Therefore, the engine needs to burn much more fuel to get the car rolling. That's why there is such a huge drop in MPG. But I am not making this up. I attached a picture that I took two days after I installed Premier A/S. It went up to 14-16 MPG later.

Attachments

• MPG_Drop.jpg
    MPG_Drop.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 20

Wlepse

NNJ
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Trying to wrap my head around these numbers....are you saying you were getting 24-27 in the city? That is my typical range for commuting to work which is mostly highway but it does have lights, so let's say it is a mix. True highway driving I get just above 30 depending on load in car and speed. Looking at Fuelly data I don't see how this is possible either since the majority of reports for overall mpg is low 20's to low 30's. There is one outlier but that data is useless since it says the last tank got like 250 mpg. I get that the tires were a softer compound but even snow tires in the middle of summer shouldn't drop your numbers that much and you would feel like you are on ball bearings.

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
My theory is that softer compound slows down acceleration.

Just the opposite. Softer compounds typically are used to help acceleration because they provide better grip to get the vehicle in motion. But softer compounds do increase rolling resistance - which will negativity affect efficiency (mpg).

Where they lack is fuel efficiency: mine dropped from 24-27 city to 14-16 city.

I attached a picture that I took two days after I installed Premier A/S. It went up to 14-16 MPG later.

I'm confused. First you say it dropped about 10 mpg but then you say it only dropped around 2.5 to 3 mpg when comparing to your 12.5 mpg image showing your last 25 miles efficiency.

How many total miles have you put on the Michelin Premier A/S to prove your theory? And what is that average? Lastly, what would you estimate your old tire mpg would have been for comparison?

There's no way the Premiers would be a respected tire if it returned a 40% drop in fuel efficiency.. however the other number is more believable.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Hmmmmmm.... This is just a keyboard warrior's thoughts but...

New tires typically always get worse fuel economy than used/worn out. How long did you drive on these before giving up? Did you hand calculate your mileage or just use the DIC numbers? Did they install an incorrect size that could skew the DIC numbers?

I run dedicated Nokian snow tires in the winter and never saw a drop as bad as what's being shown here. That's not only a softer compound, but a far more aggressive tread pattern not made for fuel economy. My city driving has me in the low twenties in the summer and high teens in the winter. That's all hand calculated as there is a margin of error with the DIC numbers.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Just the opposite. Softer compounds typically are used to help acceleration because they provide better grip to get the vehicle in motion. But softer compounds do increase rolling resistance - which will negativity affect efficiency (mpg).

I'm confused. First you say it dropped about 10 mpg but then you say it only dropped around 2.5 to 3 mpg when comparing to your 12.5 mpg image showing your last 25 miles efficiency.

How many total miles have you put on the Michelin Premier A/S to prove your theory? And what is that average? Lastly, what would you estimate your old tire mpg would have been for comparison?

There's no way the Premiers would be a respected tire if it returned a 40% drop in fuel efficiency.. however the other number is more believable.
In 2-3 days I had Premiers they went to 16 MPG city. This picture was taken 2 days after I had them installed. How many miles I did drive total? I would say around 200 miles in about 5 days I had them installed. So they started with 12 MPG and went to 16 MPG, which is terrible.

Last edited:

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Trying to wrap my head around these numbers....are you saying you were getting 24-27 in the city? That is my typical range for commuting to work which is mostly highway but it does have lights, so let's say it is a mix. True highway driving I get just above 30 depending on load in car and speed. Looking at Fuelly data I don't see how this is possible either since the majority of reports for overall mpg is low 20's to low 30's. There is one outlier but that data is useless since it says the last tank got like 250 mpg. I get that the tires were a softer compound but even snow tires in the middle of summer shouldn't drop your numbers that much and you would feel like you are on ball bearings.
You have a TourX, so it is a bit longer and you have that gas guzzling AWD. I specifically wanted to get a Sportback, since I really don't like AWD, unless it is electric powered.
I am very gentle with my gas pedal, so average city driving gets me around 24-27 MPG. When there is a lot of traffic it drops to 21-22. I live in Florida, so fewer traffic jams compared to New York/Chicago/DC. When I drive on the interstate I get around 35-37 MPG. If I drive for 2+ hours interstate I get 39-42 MPG. You can see my best MPG is still listed as 44.5.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
I just had new Continental ProContact TX without ContiSilent installed. My car is back to normal. MPG already went up from 16 to 22 in the city, I only drove around 20 miles after I had them installed. Acceleration is effortless again and braking takes more effort again, so it looks like ProContact TX are very low resistance tires. Lack of ContiSilent foam did not make much difference. I hear some low frequency vibrations, but generally interior is very quiet. Handling and ride quality almost exactly the same, new ones are just a little more firm.
These are made in the US. OEM tires were made in Portugal.

bloomer

Stillwater Mn.
Buick Ownership
TourX (Red Needle)
Replaced Oem tires that didn’t make it to 28000. Dealer tells me not unusual for oem tires now. In part due to new vehicles are leased and tires don’t have to last more than 30000. Tourx is more sensitive to rotation, needs to be done at least every 5000. Oem tires did not like to be pushed in corners, tires sang above 30 mph. I’m now retired and don’t drive as much and have suv for deep snow. So replacement came to continental dsw 06, or new michelin pilot sport all season4s. I still like to practice apexing turns when ever I can. Michelin had competitive results at tire rack testing. They are new and not reviewed at this point. So far with maybe 250 miles driven different league than Oem. Tracking is excellent, turn in confidence inspiring. Throttle off approach to stop light requires paying attention to speed. Don’t slow down as quick. Noise level is much improved. Don’t know about mileage yet. Overall much more fun than Oem. Will post update later.

bloomer

Stillwater Mn.
Buick Ownership
TourX (Red Needle)
Update on Michelin tires. Cloverleaf that is very comfortable for me, Oem tires would sing to me at 30 mph. New tires going in at 40 mph and the chorus was quiet. Tracking was confidence inspiring. Liking these more with each drive.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Update on Michelin tires. Cloverleaf that is very comfortable for me, Oem tires would sing to me at 30 mph. New tires going in at 40 mph and the chorus was quiet. Tracking was confidence inspiring. Liking these more with each drive.
Regal has a good chunk of hidden sporty-ness, just needs performance tires to unlock it. How is the fuel economy? I tried Pilot Sport 3+ A/S on my previous car, they were amazing, but too bumpy on my previous car. Regal has a plush suspension, so it should be a much better match.

bloomer

Stillwater Mn.
Buick Ownership
TourX (Red Needle)
Probably have 1 tank of fuel on new tires but I don’t think there is much difference if any. Rolling resistance is noticeably improved. My driving now is more urban with stoplights, trips are 10 mi, oil might get to operating temp. Dic says 24 mpg. Probably pretty accurate. Best 50 mi avg was getting into Duluth in early Dec temp low 30,s 35.9. Pretty impressive. Still no experience in the wet to report.

ready2fly

Sarasota, Florida
Buick Ownership
Probably have 1 tank of fuel on new tires but I don’t think there is much difference if any. Rolling resistance is noticeably improved. My driving now is more urban with stoplights, trips are 10 mi, oil might get to operating temp. Dic says 24 mpg. Probably pretty accurate. Best 50 mi avg was getting into Duluth in early Dec temp low 30,s 35.9. Pretty impressive. Still no experience in the wet to report.
Rolling resistance improved meaning car rolls easier compared to stock? If so it should be showing similar or better fuel economy. 24 MPG city is pretty good for TourX. Mine was 26 MPG today city driving with light traffic. I wonder how highway MPG is going to look like. It should be a lot of fun to drive right now. Cornering should be much better.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!