• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Disable Automatic Stop/Start

greenne

Albany, NY
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal TourX
Yep...me too!

Hope nobody else gets burned on the inferior units.
RT sent a nice reply to my inquiry and said they see this a lot. RT only sells to authorized dealers and does not have an Amazon storefront. But sellers have been using the storefront name "Range Technology" to make it appear as if you're buying the real thing. only when you click on the properties do you see the display name does not match the real name of the seller. I don't know how they can legally do this, but it is easy to miss--easy to think you are getting a brand new bonafide unit when what you're really getting is crap either outdated, refurbished, damaged goods, etc.

We were hoodwinked...

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
I called RT the other day about this issue as my wife's car is used infrequently. Amy tod me that this issue has been corrected in later software versions and that they are using up supply of older boxes that have the warning on them. Will see.
ANY device connected to the OBD port will always have constant 12v+ power.

There are some schemes that are possible to turn the microprocessor in a device like this off after a certain period of inactivity on the CAN bus. Power off the regulators to the uC and allow the CAN transceiver to power the regulators again once it notices activity on the CAN bus (i.e. doors locking, unlocking, car starting).

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn65hvd1040.pdf (if you are techy and interested in one implementation)

BUT, truly the device will always be consuming some power. It probably won't push the battery drain over the edge so that the battery has a shorter than expected life cycle, but it will never really be OFF.

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
ANY device connected to the OBD port will always have constant 12v+ power.

There are some schemes that are possible to turn the microprocessor in a device like this off after a certain period of inactivity on the CAN bus. Power off the regulators to the uC and allow the CAN transceiver to power the regulators again once it notices activity on the CAN bus (i.e. doors locking, unlocking, car starting).

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn65hvd1040.pdf (if you are techy and interested in one implementation)

BUT, truly the device will always be consuming some power. It probably won't push the battery drain over the edge so that the battery has a shorter than expected life cycle, but it will never really be OFF.
Vehicle manufactures warn not to use OBD port for anything, except what it was designed for.

hoys

Buick Ownership
None
Vehicle manufactures warn not to use OBD port for anything, except what it was designed for.
Yes.

But it's the easiest way to access the ever more and more vital data communication systems in a vehicle.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Why didn't they patent a smart button, that controls start/stop system))))
The newest Buick Envision has a button to disable the start/stop system, so there's no reason GM couldn't put one all their vehicles.

rjw

Buick Ownership
2019 Regal Sportback
I read on another thread where another poster said the government gives auto makers financial incentives to add stop-start technologies to their vehicles, and they give further incentives if they do not include the "disable" button on the vehicles.

I have no idea if this is true or not, the poster did not provide a link to any documentation, and I have no idea where/how to research this. But my best guess is it is related to the fuel economy ratings. But if GM is considering bringing the "disable" button back, then it may not be true.

If they do bring back the "disable" button, I assume it will be like their previous version - you have to press it every time you start the car. I will stick with my Range Technology device as there is no need to remember to press a button all the time.

Edit to add: So, in the article they are not actually considering a "disable" button, they are only going to try and "improve" the current Stop/Start technology so it does not shut the engine off as frequently. No thanks.

Last edited:

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I would think that since this method uses GPS, they will offer it as a premium feature only and tie it in with an active OnStar subscription. This way, the car does not come equipped with a disable button and GM still benefits from the incentive. Any hey... it's another revenue source for GM!!

Last edited:

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
On star still functions without a subscription so all trim levels will have smart stop/start feature.

Billib

Buick Ownership
TourX
Thanks for the info hoys. I'll keep an eye on it. Car is only used about twice a week.
BTW, when i talked to Amy at Range Technology, she said autoanything.com was an approved retailer. Those looking to buy should check them out as my blue light one was 144$ thru them. Works great (only a couple hundred miles though).

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
Thanks for the info hoys. I'll keep an eye on it. Car is only used about twice a week.
BTW, when i talked to Amy at Range Technology, she said autoanything.com was an approved retailer. Those looking to buy should check them out as my blue light one was 144$ thru them. Works great (only a couple hundred miles though).
Does yours shut off when the car goes to sleep?
What firmware do you have?

On star still functions without a subscription so all trim levels will have smart stop/start feature.
Should there be an expectation of an update coming?

Billib

Buick Ownership
TourX
Does yours shut off when the car goes to sleep?
What firmware do you have?
I don't know what firmware edition i have. I'll count the flashes tonight.
BTW, noticed that auto anything price is now 180$ on popups ive seen.

The lights go out, hoys says it still draws some power though. Worse case is I'll get an obd port extension cable with a power off switch if it becomes a problem. About 8$ on the "zon".

Should there be an expectation of an update coming?

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
As far as I know my module will never need an update, so vehicle software is not softwaring around unprotected.

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
As far as I know my module will never need an update, so vehicle software is not softwaring around unprotected.
I should have been more specific. My bad... is there an update coming from GM to stop the ASS or at least use the new algorithm that they have developed?

Thanks!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I should have been more specific. My bad... is there an update coming from GM to stop the ASS or at least use the new algorithm that they have developed?

Thanks!
My mistake ...I thought issue was about update on Range technology unit that is always in OBD oriface.
Really doubt GM could or would fix ASS problem in existing vehicles.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
I read on another thread where another poster said the government gives auto makers financial incentives to add stop-start technologies to their vehicles, and they give further incentives if they do not include the "disable" button on the vehicles.

I have no idea if this is true or not, the poster did not provide a link to any documentation, and I have no idea where/how to research this. But my best guess is it is related to the fuel economy ratings. But if GM is considering bringing the "disable" button back, then it may not be true.
Yes, it's about fuel economy, and I think the financial incentives are round about through CAFE penalties.

Automakers Increasingly Offer Ways to Deactivate Stop/Start Systems (Temporarily)

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I heard ASS is going the way of the dodo bird, electric powered vehicles will ASS without it.
The module I have seems to work fine.... without battery drain, risk to car with software updates, or non approved use of OBD port. I guess you can put a piece of tape to block the distracting light on the Range unit...
Thats what I like about the better module, that leaves car systems unaltered and it's out of sight and out of mind.

Pedal Commander