• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Disable Automatic Stop/Start

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
At rest voltage after sitting for 2 days locked/armed, 12.2v. After a 3.5 hrs drive and sitting over night armed, 12.55v. It doesn't appear to be the battery... ASS is still not functioning.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
Since it's winter and if you live in a cold area of the country that could be the reason it's not functioning. Here's some info I found on the effect of cold on the ASS system:

The conditions that will cause an automatic start-stop to stop working varies from model to model, but there is a common cause — think a climate control fan set to the highest speed, or the windshield wipers are activated at the same time as seat heaters and window defrosters. Not all models will indicate the system is offline due to any of these conditions via a dash icon.

Winter driving brings its own challenges to start-stop systems, and knowing if it’s a normal vs. abnormal offline situation may save you an unnecessary trip to the shop. Almost all of these systems systems use a smaller secondary battery — like the size used on motorcycles and ATVs. Like any other battery, these will have reduced capabilities when temperatures drop. If they don’t register a full charge, the system won’t operate.

They do recharge automatically through the engine’s regular alternator system, though. So if the engine hasn’t reached full operating temperatures (like on a frosty winter morning, for instance), the feature will be offline temporarily. On some models, if a temperature setting has been set on an automatic control system, the automatic start-stop feature will remain disabled until that temperature is reached.

Usually, if a start-stop system has a real problem, such as a battery that won’t recharge on its own or a sensor glitch, a warning icon will light up, messaging the driver that it’s time to get things checked out.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
I'm in a relatively cold area (southern Ontario), and auto stop still kicks in after maybe 5 minutes of driving once the engine is warmed up and the HVAC fan has started to come down a bit

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
Where is the 2nd battery?
The Opel/Vauxhall/Regal's don't have one; the second battery was more or less a motorcycle/lawn tractor type that was used to keep the in-car electronics stable (12V DC minimum) while the car's main battery was starting it after an 'auto stop'. The main (unintended) advantage of that configuration was the ease of disabling the auto stop/start--all you had to do was disconnect the secondary battery and the voltage monitoring system would see that there wasn't enough voltage to run the electronics so it would never shut down the engine. The current (no pun intended) systems use a DC-to-DC converter to supply the minimum voltage needed to keep the infotainment/nav system happy.

50Joe

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I recently had problem in which the ASS just stopped working. I brought it to the dealer and they ultimately changed the battery thinking that it was the problem. When I got the car back, guess what - still not working. They had it a week and it was essentially the same but I have a new battery (car was built 1/2019). Asked if there was any modifications to the car and didn't think anything about it. Later, I began to think that I installed LED backup lights on the car. I tried several brands initially but they would screw up the entertainment system and the back up camera screen was always on. I found some on eBay in which one reviewer stated that the entertainment system worked fine. I gave it a chance, and bought it. Worked perfectly. Didn't click that that was when the ASS stopped working. So, I changed it back to the normal bulbs and guess what the ASS started to work again. Long story but if you guys want a cheap way to disable the ASS, you can go with these LED.

Error Free LASFIT T15 LED Reverse Backup Light Bulbs 921 912 for GMC Ford Chevy | eBay
Brand new owner of a TourX as of today. Do these LED backup bulbs truly disable the auto stop/start? If so, that is awesome.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
I’m so glad this forum is around. Mine stopped shutting off today, but it is colder out and I had the defrost/heat on during both trips. It also sat a week during the holiday, so maybe it will kick back on. It’s hilarious how now I’m concerned about not having ASS, when I have hated it the whole time. My battery voltage is reading at 14.5, so I’m sure that’s not the issue.

50Joe

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I decided to buy the Range Technology unit that plugs into the OBD port to disable the ASS. $150 with shipping from Auto Anything. I contacted customer support and they confirmed this will not induce a battery drain.

Buick Ownership
New Tourx Owner
I would like to see others test this... The LASFIT bulbs are ~$15. If it is a solution, we need to scream it to the roof tops.

whisper not scream.... We don't want a TSB to include "check for correct reverse bulbs".

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
I would like to see others test this... The LASFIT bulbs are ~$15. If it is a solution, we need to scream it to the roof tops.

whisper not scream.... We don't want a TSB to include "check for correct reverse bulbs".
Maybe there’s something to it. https://www.reddit.com/r/Cadillac/comments/b13w87

Dr No

Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX
This is exactly what happened to me. There was a DTC code (U0078) but clearing didn’t do anything. There was info display module that they changed out, but still it didn't work. Ultimately they changed the battery (GM tech recommended to change it if the battery charge percent was below 72% - measured at 65%) and stated that it was repaired. Got into the car and the ASS was not working. Still haven't gotten to put the LED's back in to see if it will replicate the problem/solution.

50Joe

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
For those that have installed the Range Technology unit: Does the led light on the unit come on each time the driver door is opened? How long before it goes out? Not a big deal, just curious.

Discod

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportback
My daughter slammed the passenger door this evening, and my ASS kicked back on 😂 Dang it. Maybe there’s a wiggly fuse or short somewhere.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
I'm glad I don't have the stop/start feature on my car. It seems to be a roll of the dice whether it will work or not.

advtrmom

Buick Ownership
tourx
You will have no GM coverage on the module, that disables your ASS !
Just pretend you lived over 100 years ago, and instead of turning crank to start car.... just open hood.
PS The module is worth it, puts you in control.
All I do is put my car in manual mode as I come to a stop and put it back in drive when the light changes and I start driving again!

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
All I do is put my car in manual mode as I come to a stop and put it back in drive when the light changes and I start driving again!
Sorry I like shifting my cars wifh a manual, an automatic not so much.
But whatever works for you.... You go girl.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Sorry I like shifting my cars wifh a manual, an automatic not so much.
But whatever works for you.... You go girl.
"The stoplight dance" - at least our automatic will hold gears to redline when working it manually. Nothing more annoying than a "manu-matic" that shifts whenever the computer tells it to. What's the point?

Pedal Commander