• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Disable Automatic Stop/Start

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
My '18 Sportback quit shutting down automatically a couple of months ago. I turned off climate control: no shutdown. I checked several things, even opened and closed the hood. Then I took a 500 mile road trip and at my destination it started to shut down. Car was manufactured 1/18 and purchased 7/18 so I don't think it sat on the dealer's lot an inordinately long time. Theories?

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
My '18 Sportback quit shutting down automatically a couple of months ago. I turned off climate control: no shutdown. I checked several things, even opened and closed the hood. Then I took a 500 mile road trip and at my destination it started to shut down. Car was manufactured 1/18 and purchased 7/18 so I don't think it sat on the dealer's lot an inordinately long time. Theories?
What is the temperature outside? Is it too cold?

fng

Delaware Ohio
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Essence Frost White Tri-Coat
Sometimes it was cold (but never below 32* F.), other times it did not shut down at 60* F. My concern is that relatively short trips (frequently 30 minutes, but often less) aren't keeping the battery adequately charged. I'll mention it at my upcoming oil change, but with a business model where the dealership and mechanic don't get paid for diagnostic time, I don't expect anyone will work for very long for no pay.

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal Sportback Pref. Grp. II
Riddle me this Batman:

My start/stop has stopped disabling. The ambient temp was in the 60’s F and the car was running for hours at a time today. What else could be affecting it? The car drives great. I do not understand the change. Two weeks ago, ASS worked fine but the ambient temp has been cold ever since. Fresh oil change and reset the DIC yesterday ... can someone shed some light on other potential impacts?

Uniqez

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
That is strange, what is the voltage of the battery? I don't exactly know what car is monitoring for ASS...I would say engine temperature, gear the transmission is in, voltage of the battery....what else?

garbageguy

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX 2019
Riddle me this Batman:

My start/stop has stopped disabling. The ambient temp was in the 60’s F and the car was running for hours at a time today. What else could be affecting it? The car drives great. I do not understand the change. Two weeks ago, ASS worked fine but the ambient temp has been cold ever since. Fresh oil change and reset the DIC yesterday ... can someone shed some light on other potential impacts?
Yep, I'm thinking battery voltage too - as an indicator of electric flow (amps) the system sees when determining whether or not to shut down the engine. Maybe look at battery voltage on the dash (DIC setting) to see if that may be it. Maybe when a battery gets older/weaker it doesn't have enough juice to contribute to telling ASS to do its thing

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
I will check the at rest voltage. I have been monitoring the DIC and I have been seeing varying voltages(at charge 14.3 to 14.5) but... I could definitely see the battery being the issue.

Dr No

Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX
I recently had problem in which the ASS just stopped working. I brought it to the dealer and they ultimately changed the battery thinking that it was the problem. When I got the car back, guess what - still not working. They had it a week and it was essentially the same but I have a new battery (car was built 1/2019). Asked if there was any modifications to the car and didn't think anything about it. Later, I began to think that I installed LED backup lights on the car. I tried several brands initially but they would screw up the entertainment system and the back up camera screen was always on. I found some on eBay in which one reviewer stated that the entertainment system worked fine. I gave it a chance, and bought it. Worked perfectly. Didn't click that that was when the ASS stopped working. So, I changed it back to the normal bulbs and guess what the ASS started to work again. Long story but if you guys want a cheap way to disable the ASS, you can go with these LED.

Error Free LASFIT T15 LED Reverse Backup Light Bulbs 921 912 for GMC Ford Chevy | eBay

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
HAHAHA! YES! I replaced the back-up bulbs too with the same LASFIT ones. This is so cool if it is what stopped it. Have you had reinstalled the LASFIT back-up lights and found that it stopped working again?

FavaBean

DE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Very interesting. Did you find that these eBay bulbs actually helped visibility over the stock bulbs, too?

Anybody else experience the same ASS result with these bulbs?

kevjam79

Missouri
Buick Ownership
I have put LASFIT bulbs in 5 other cars. They are great! It is like having welding rod for back-up lights.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
Interesting that backup bulbs, which may never come on in a given trip, could cause this. But I guess modern electrical system are checking every possible circuit and might freak out if something is outside expected parameters. Although it wasn't enough of a freak out to throw a code.

Having said that, I don't totally mind start-stop. It helps offset the gas I waste remote-starting the car for 10 minutes every morning during the winter months :D

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
Interesting that backup bulbs, which may never come on in a given trip, could cause this. But I guess modern electrical system are checking every possible circuit and might freak out if something is outside expected parameters.
They would/could momentarily. When moving shifter from Park to Drive you have to go past R to get there.

saab93driver

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
You're right. I tend to think of Trifecta as a tune, but the tune includes a defeat for auto s/s & they also have a stand alone defeat flash. So we are at 4!
They sell a defeat Only auto /start stop, too without the tune. But if this reverse bulb Is really a solution it beats them all as far as cost.

Dr No

Buick Ownership
19 Regal TourX
I'll try to put them back in the near future to see if that will replicate the ASS disable. Maybe it was a fluke. I did replace one of the bulb with the LED bulb and the ASS continued to work. Will keep you informed. Hoping the weather would warm up so I can do this.

Pedal Commander