Has anyone replace their Tourx wheels?

BrianCoasters

Buick Newbie
Greensboro, NC
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX Preferred, Sport Red
I'm not sure if this option has been mentioned yet in this thread: I did some investigating a while back and found that Dodge Charger/Challenger and Chrysler 300 use our same bolt pattern. Their centerbore is a little larger, so a hub-adapter ring (or whatever it's called) will be necessary. Those cars have some good-looking OEM wheel options, so I'm on the lookout to snag a used set locally. The only caveat is that I think some of their trim-levels have staggered setups (rear wheels wider than front), so check for that when buying.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I found some new OEM 20”x8.5” (for a Cascada) sitting at a local dealer...no centercaps - they want $800 for the set. Personally I'm not a fan of five spoke designs...but I don't dislike these either...

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I've been really reluctant to go +2 sizing on the wheel/tire set up, so I'm probably gonna pass (weight, ride, yadda-yadda).

However, here is the CL listing - hopefully someone here can take advantage! Dealership location is between Milwaukee and Chicago.

BRAND NEW 20" BUICK CASCADA ACCESSORY WHEELS 39032068 (4)
GWG Wheels - Zero Black Machined
Anybody heard of these guys?
35mm offset 18 x 9 255/45-18, I wonder if they would fit.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Anybody heard of these guys?
35mm offset 18 x 9 255/45-18, I wonder if they would fit.
As long as they are 5x115, they might. I put BBS's on mine which are 18x8, 36mm offset and they fit great. The extra width on that 9" and the wider tire mean you should run the numbers on a wheel/tire comparison calculator. There's not much room on the inside of the front due to the spring perch on the strut.

Last edited:

DasWagen

Buick Ownership
2018 Tour x
Those BBS fill up the wheel wells nicely. I know the overall diameter isn't that much bigger than stock but every little bit helps.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
There's nothing REALLY wrong with "cheap" wheels- even the OEM wheels for many manufacturers now are made in China. The issue comes when you have a heavy car and you hit a hole or whack a wheel from the side. Cheap wheels will break easier, but it's a situation where even a high end wheel would be damaged as well... they don't just explode going down the road. I've seen people make claims that broken off-brand wheels crashed their car and it's always turned out that the crashed car broke the wheel when investigated. People never want to admit fault. There's certainly an exception once you get into forged wheels in the $600+/ea and higher price ranges, though. Gravity cast wheels will never be as strong, but are they good enough? For most people, absolutely.
Wheel design is an important thing to consider more than anything. Thick spokes are stronger than thin ones. My Impala snapped a cheap Tire Rack house brand wheel, but even if it had the original wheels- it would have certainly broken one of those as well when it hit the ditch.
Expensive wheels are nice, but for a regular schmuck on regular roads it's not a huge deal. I track my car at 170mph on MRR wheels and can't tell the difference between those and the $3600 set of BBS's I've got as well.
If you buy an uncommon wheel, get five... when I broke one, I couldn't get a replacement since they were discontinued and had to get an entire new set. I assumed Tire Rack would have the same ones for years and I assumed wrong.

Attachments

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
There's nothing REALLY wrong with "cheap" wheels- even the OEM wheels for many manufacturers now are made in China. The issue comes when you have a heavy car and you hit a hole or whack a wheel from the side. Cheap wheels will break easier, but it's a situation where even a high end wheel would be damaged as well... they don't just explode going down the road. I've seen people make claims that broken off-brand wheels crashed their car and it's always turned out that the crashed car broke the wheel when investigated. People never want to admit fault. There's certainly an exception once you get into forged wheels in the $600+/ea and higher price ranges, though. Gravity cast wheels will never be as strong, but are they good enough? For most people, absolutely.
Wheel design is an important thing to consider more than anything. Thick spokes are stronger than thin ones. My Impala snapped a cheap Tire Rack house brand wheel, but even if it had the original wheels- it would have certainly broken one of those as well when it hit the ditch.
Expensive wheels are nice, but for a regular schmuck on regular roads it's not a huge deal. I track my car at 170mph on MRR wheels and can't tell the difference between those and the $3600 set of BBS's I've got as well.
If you buy an uncommon wheel, get five... when I broke one, I couldn't get a replacement since they were discontinued and had to get an entire new set. I assumed Tire Rack would have the same ones for years and I assumed wrong.
I thought TO myself, wow, Cheap, seem like great fit and good looking.

But things to good to be true, usually are not. I investigated, & contacted the seller.

Must be made of pot metal.

28 lbs heavy, 1,200 Lbs load rating weak, darnn!

I really like the BBS or https://www.tsw.com/18-inch-wheels-rims.php
wheels, but ouch$$$$!
Spin cast is another option.
Anybody got a set of 18" OEM wheels for sale at the right price?

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I thought TO myself, wow, Cheap, seem like great fit and good looking.

But things to good to be true, usually are not. I investigated, & contacted the seller.

Must be made of pot metal.

28 lbs heavy, 1,200 Lbs load rating weak, darnn!

I really like the BBS or 18 inch wheels and 18 inch rims | TSW Alloy Wheels
wheels, but ouch$$$$!
Spin cast is another option.
Anybody got a set of 18" OEM wheels for sale at the right price?
I thought the BBS wheels at $270 were not really that bad- considering cheap wheels were $200 anyway. There's a few brands like Verde with wheels in the $120-$150 range and they're actually not terrible. Some of them that I've seen seemed to have thin walls in the barrel of the wheel- which isn't a huge deal, really, unless you drive on bad roads or rally the car etc. The plus with the BBS is that the finish is extremely durable and a replacement wheel will likely be easy to come by if one gets damaged.
The differences in cast, pressure cast and flow formed are not as significant as the marketing departments make them out to be. The flow formed wheels still have cast centers and that's usually where a wheel breaks. A flow formed wheel may take a pot hole better with a stronger barrel, but that's not the only concern and IMHO not really worth much. If there is a cast wheel you like that has the load rating, get what you like.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
There's nothing REALLY wrong with "cheap" wheels- even the OEM wheels for many manufacturers now are made in China.
China doesn't always mean inferior quality. I hate that distinction. Every iPhone and 90% of tech devices are made there. It's more about the manufacturing process and QA involved than where it's made.

I worked on a global team with Chinese counterparts and they are just as quality driven as I am. Made in China = bad is such an ancient comparison.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
China doesn't always mean inferior quality. I hate that distinction. Every iPhone and 90% of tech devices are made there. It's more about the manufacturing process and QA involved than where it's made.

I worked on a global team with Chinese counterparts and they are just as quality driven as I am. Made in China = bad is such an ancient comparison.
I agree completely- however, China is the "go to" place where if you want something made cheaply, even at the expense of quality, they are the ones who will do it for you. They can make anything on par with any other country in the world- but they can also crank you out a cheap cast wheel with dishonest specifications. It's up to you when you contract with them. They also are notorious for letting things lax after an initial product run or samples OR just back-door selling your product to others and destroying your market.
So yes, you're right- they can make SUPER high quality for a good price... but... you gotta pay attention.

Pathy01

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately society as a whole is very slow to move away from outdated ideas. That and too many people are lazy and would rather make generalized assumptions than to actually do some research and become educated about a topic.

VTSummit

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately society as a whole is very slow to move away from outdated ideas. That and too many people are lazy and would rather make generalized assumptions than to actually do some research and become educated about a topic.
I'm actually quite versed in manufacturing, especially to aerospace level specifications. I'm not asserting that everything in China is made poorly, far from it. What I am saying is that China can and does make large quantities of low end and sometimes badly made products. It's up to the consumer to wade through which products are good and which aren't. There are container loads of counterfeit car parts being confiscated, along with knock-offs or products with false claims of DOT specification conformity. I have yet to see a German company busted for faking TUV compliance. China is the wild west of manufacturing. They can make fantastic stuff and they can make rubber dog poo for three cents a unit or less. Just as one can't say everything from China is bad- one cannot assert that everything from there is good, as it's VERY far from the truth.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I thought the BBS wheels at $270 were not really that bad- considering cheap wheels were $200 anyway. There's a few brands like Verde with wheels in the $120-$150 range and they're actually not terrible. Some of them that I've seen seemed to have thin walls in the barrel of the wheel- which isn't a huge deal, really, unless you drive on bad roads or rally the car etc. The plus with the BBS is that the finish is extremely durable and a replacement wheel will likely be easy to come by if one gets damaged.
The differences in cast, pressure cast and flow formed are not as significant as the marketing departments make them out to be. The flow formed wheels still have cast centers and that's usually where a wheel breaks. A flow formed wheel may take a pot hole better with a stronger barrel, but that's not the only concern and IMHO not really worth much. If there is a cast wheel you like that has the load rating, get what you like.
BBS wheels at $270? Where? what size, model?