• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

How To: Oil Change on Regal TourX

Spuds

Maryland
2018 Regal Tour X
Welcome to the forum and good choice in vehicle !
I myself am not a wagoneer, so I got the FWD Sedan. great cars all around.

Question 1.... I use the front cradle subframe cross member to jack the whole front in one go. My post # 57, I show a pic of my FWD Regal, and you can see it's not like your tourX as in it doesn't have a plastic cover under the pan and the cross memeber frame is right in the open right in front of the exhaust downpipe.

Question 2... Hope someone with a TourX can give you a better idea.

Question 3... Do NOT jack up by the Rear Differential !!! It will leak 100%... I Always jack up old trucks by the rear diff, but always use a 2" thick rubber pad between the jack and diff,.. but unfortunately this is not a good idea with modern cars.

When I do anything that requires me to take off the rear tires, be it rotate or change etc.. The only spot that's ideal is on the frame in front of each rear tire, a few inches in. Gonna have to jack each rear side separately. You'll see the spot, for it's the only good spot I could find.
Thanks! Yeah, I saw the picture in post #57. Really just wanted to make sure you or anyone else hadn't seen anything bad happen with that method in the last 6+ months. Appreciate the confirmation!

So if I wanted to jack the whole thing up, I guess it would be best to do both rear corners first, then the front altogether with the crossmember after removing the under panel?

Hunter Mike

America’s Dairyland
Dark Moon 19 Buick Opel Vauxhall Insignia Country Tourer Regal TourX Essence Estate Avant Wagon
I wouldn't trust cross-members or sub-frames on this 4,000 pig. Just don't seem robust. Here's the factory jack points so GM says no bueno. Never on the rear diff.

Fumitomo should work fine on a TourX, it's a pretty common GM size so you'll be able to find one that fits. The steel underpan will provide excellent protection from damage.

For an oil change I would recommend ramps for just elevating the front end. Faster and safer than jacks/stands. I have used 16k# Rhino Ramps for nearly a decade and am very happy. I trust them more than stamped steel. Plus, I've found more oil drains out when the front is elevated as the drain location is at the back of the pan.

If you want to jack the front end, get a jack pad made for pinch welds and the same with your stands. I found some on Amazon that work great. Amazon.com: ABN 5-½in Large Jack Pad Universal Fit Cross Slotted Frame Rail Protector: Automotive
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N691QNG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 09.11.41.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 09.12.35.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 09.06.09.png

Gary N

2018 Buick Regal TourX
Since we're taking about jack stands, I'd like to shamelessly plug US Jack D-41609 3-ton garage stands because they are made in the USA. They may not be the cheapest, but I feel like I can trust them, and when I'm done still be able to pass them down to the grand kids for another 50 years, so probably the best value. US Jack Company - 100% USA made hydraulic jacks, jack stands, port-a-power kits, and floor/ service jacks

Hein-Werner was a jack stand that used to be made in the U.S.A., but they were bought out a few years ago by the Shinn Fu Company of America, Inc. and the stands are no longer 100% U.S. made.

Spuds

Maryland
2018 Regal Tour X
I wouldn't trust cross-members or sub-frames on this 4,000 pig. Just don't seem robust. Here's the factory jack points so GM says no bueno. Never on the rear diff.

Fumitomo should work fine on a TourX, it's a pretty common GM size so you'll be able to find one that fits. The steel underpan will provide excellent protection from damage.

For an oil change I would recommend ramps for just elevating the front end. Faster and safer than jacks/stands. I have used 16k# Rhino Ramps for nearly a decade and am very happy. I trust them more than stamped steel. Plus, I've found more oil drains out when the front is elevated as the drain location is at the back of the pan.

If you want to jack the front end, get a jack pad made for pinch welds and the same with your stands. I found some on Amazon that work great. Amazon.com: ABN 5-½in Large Jack Pad Universal Fit Cross Slotted Frame Rail Protector: Automotive
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N691QNG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1
View attachment 23283
View attachment 23284

View attachment 23282

You do bring up a good point about the weight, but it is a ~3800lb wagon version of a ~3400lb car meaning most of that added weight is towards the back (well probably 50-75% is in the AWD so between the axles lets say). So I got curious and did some calculations and here are the actual weights each piece would be seeing when jacking up the car.

DISCLAIMER:
For all you know, I'm just a random potato on the internet. Please don't use my math to assume limits for safety, always do your own due diligence.

ASSUMING:
-TourX Preferred trim weight is actually ~3800lb as the internet says
-Standard 60F:40R weight distribution (Probably more like 58:42 in the wagon but this is a guess)
-Rear is already on jack stands at the designated support positions.
-I can read a tape measure...

THEN:
-Jack under the front cross member will see a maximum force of ~1515lb
-Rear jack stands reach maximum load (for the pair) of ~2284lb when jacked by front cross member
-Front jack stands reach maximum load (for the pair) of ~2567lb when jack is removed, assuming they are in designated support positions.
-Rear jack stands load drops to ~1232lb when the car is fully supported by jack stands.

That does put the front cross member at the maximum single point load for the whole process. Still need to figure out what that actually means in terms of structure, but figured I would share that bit I came up with. I suppose I could put this into an excel sheet if anyone were interested in playing with the numbers for other vehicles. Also a fun note, the rear differential would need to support a weight of ~1520 lb if one were to jack using that first, but only ~894lb if the front jack stands were already in place.

For anyone casually reading this looking for appropriate jack stands, please remember they are load-rated for the pair in total, not each individual stand.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Thanks! Yeah, I saw the picture in post #57. Really just wanted to make sure you or anyone else hadn't seen anything bad happen with that method in the last 6+ months. Appreciate the confirmation!

So if I wanted to jack the whole thing up, I guess it would be best to do both rear corners first, then the front altogether with the crossmember after removing the under panel?
Yes.
:)

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
These front cradle cross members are stupid tough.

I've jacked up other regals grand prixs impalas and LeSabres by that cross member and never a problem. The impala cross member was aluminum too.

FavaBean

DE
2018 Regal TourX Essence
I changed the oil today. Evidently, I was on steroids when I installed the oil filter last time. I required a strap filter wrench to remove because stuffing my ill-fitting wrench with paper towels didn't work.

1. What is is the filter wrench size of the PF64? (I'd prefer an exact fit over a universal design).
2. Is anyone replacing the drain plug washer when they change their oil?

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
I changed the oil today. Evidently, I was on steroids when I installed the oil filter last time. I required a strap filter wrench to remove because stuffing my ill-fitting wrench with paper towels didn't work.

1. What is is the filter wrench size of the PF64? (I'd prefer an exact fit over a universal design).
2. Is anyone replacing the drain plug washer when they change their oil?
I know you don't like universal designs, but this one has grabbed and broken free every oil filter I've ever thrown at it: https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/?th=1&psc=1

2. I just visually inspect and replace if necessary. These things aren't torqued tight, so it should last a long time.

FavaBean

DE
2018 Regal TourX Essence
Thanks @ChibiBlackSheep

The wrench you posted looks pretty cool - I haven't seen that design before but it looks like it would grip a filter well.

I was walking around Walmart yesterday and saw this wrench:

I decided that since I do change my own oil on 4 vehicles, maybe a universal wrench would make sense... so I invested $4.50 and will update folks after my next next oil change.

FWIW - after I posted, I found a wrench on a Corvette forum which presumably fits the PF64 perfectly:

ChibiBlackSheep

Southeast, PA
Regal TourX Essence | Moon Blue Metallic
so I invested $4.50 and will update folks after my next next oil change.
That looks like a pretty similar design. Clockwise turning opens the claw, and counter should let it grip and loosen the filter. If you find that one slips around and doesn't grip, try the one that I posted, but it looks like the exact same method as the tool I posted.

Get your turbo buick badge right here!