Lowered GS..... finally!

Skywagon

Buick Ownership
Buick
Not attempting to steal thread. I'm putting 265/40 19's on my stock 19 inch wheels. Some say 8.5 inch wheel not wide enough, others say it's fine? Will advise when done.

dmr02

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
Lots of great info in this thread and I'm about to bite the bullet on the H&R 28998-5 kit.

My concern is wheel fitment, what are some of the more aggressive fitments folks are running?

I'm considering 19x9.5 +30 with 275's all around. (GS)

Dark, go for it Ive got the factory 20's with 265's no spacers, I regret not going 285's big time, the amount of money those tires cost I am kicking myself, plenty of room to go wider, reasonably wider

Skywagon

Buick Ownership
Buick
I put 265's on my 19s. Wheels are 8.5 inches wide. Would not recommend any wider tires on that narrow a wheel. It's too narrow.

Handy_Andy

Buick Ownership
Buick
I'm not sure I really agree with you on this. When you lower a car and don't unbolt at the bushings, your essentially "loading" or "twisting" the bushings as soon as you lower your car down to the ground. I always followed the practice of loosening all control arm bushings when lowering, put the car on the ground to allow everything to rotate into "rest" position, and then tighten to spec. This will give your bushings the full range of motion, whereas if you didn't follow the procedure your bushings are already say 25% twisted/deformed when the car is just sitting parked.

Also given that these cars are all fairly new, it's the perfect time to loosen these bolts off and apply some anti-seize to the part that goes through the bushing, so you don't get into a situation of having to cut them out later.

Of course this is all just my opinion.

bbronner413

Chicopee, MA
Buick Ownership
2013 Buick Regal GS & 2011 Buick Lucerene CXL Premium
Nothing new to see here I guess, but FINALLY the GS is lowered!!! Some pics are below... they were too large to attach so had to "insert" them.

Approximate PRE/POST install measurements taken from Center of MRR Wheel Cap to Fender Bottom are as follows:

• Pre-Install Driver Front: 15-1/2”
• Pre-Install Driver Rear : 15-3/8”
• Pre-Install Passenger Front: 15-5/8”
• Pre-Install Passenger Rear: 15-3/8”

• Initial-Install Driver Front: 14-3/4”
• Initial-Install Driver Rear: 14-7/16”
• Initial-Install Passenger Front: 15”
• Initial-Install Passenger Rear: 14-7/16”

• 2 Weeks Settled Driver Front: 14-11/16”
• 2 Weeks Settled Driver Rear: 14-1/4”
• 2 Weeks Settled Passenger Front: 14-7/8”
• 2 Weeks Settled Passenger Rear: 14-1/4”

Not an impressive drop all-around but still looks good!

Lowered GS (1).jpg Lowered GS (2).jpg Initial Drop.jpg Just Clearing Driveway.jpg Stock Spring vs. H&R Spring.jpg Spring Compressor.jpg

Handy_Andy

Buick Ownership
Buick
Just wanted to bump this thread up as I've seen a few people talking about lowering lately, and also some talking about compiling some "How To's" as stickies. Although the OPer said he didn't intend this as a "complete how-to", it's a very good write-up. I followed this method when installing my lowering springs, and if you have a reasonable amount of experience working on cars this gives you all the info you need to do the job.

BPuff57

A Regular
@GTXgp and @bbronner413

You both have had your H&R springs installed for some time, now. What's your take on the changes? How does it compare to stock? Have you driven through snow/how did it do? How has the OEM damping held up?

We'd love to hear your "long-term results" and impressions when you have time.

I'm on the fence, but leaning toward pulling the trigger for my DD '14 GS AWD. I would appreciate your insight.

BP

Mike Novo

Buick Newbie
Kitchener, ON
Buick Ownership
Buick
Hello all, Just registered!

I've been following this thread for a while now. So much so that I actually want to by a Regal GS and do the Spring job on it. I really like the lines on this car.

That being said, after much googling I have leaned that this model H&R 28998-5 springs are the same springs Chevy Malibu and I'm sure that's not all. There is also a Youtube vid now where someone cut half a spring on the front to balance out the annoying reverse rake some have commented on. I gather the reason might be that load rate is designed for the V6. I'm inclined to try it out. The user has commented increased stiffness on his channel and that he loves it. Of course, experimenters beware...

M~

It's only money right? If anyone does get ambitious, please post pics asap.

Mike Novo

Buick Newbie
Kitchener, ON
Buick Ownership
Buick
Nothing new to see here I guess, but FINALLY the GS is lowered!!! Some pics are below... they were too large to attach so had to "insert" them.

Approximate PRE/POST install measurements taken from Center of MRR Wheel Cap to Fender Bottom are as follows:

• Pre-Install Driver Front: 15-1/2”
• Pre-Install Driver Rear : 15-3/8”
• Pre-Install Passenger Front: 15-5/8”
• Pre-Install Passenger Rear: 15-3/8”

• Initial-Install Driver Front: 14-3/4”
• Initial-Install Driver Rear: 14-7/16”
• Initial-Install Passenger Front: 15”
• Initial-Install Passenger Rear: 14-7/16”

• 2 Weeks Settled Driver Front: 14-11/16”
• 2 Weeks Settled Driver Rear: 14-1/4”
• 2 Weeks Settled Passenger Front: 14-7/8”
• 2 Weeks Settled Passenger Rear: 14-1/4”

Not an impressive drop all-around but still looks good!

View attachment 9415 View attachment 9416 View attachment 9417 View attachment 9418 View attachment 9419 View attachment 9420

I vote this to be the sexiest GS on the forum.

thatbuick

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
I've been through most of the pages in this thread, and knowing my luck this question has probably already been answered lol but will the 5s fit the '14 Premium 2 FWD model?

fourthstreet

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS AWD
Zero issues and ive had mine on close to 3 months now, no rattles, rubbing or anything!
My brain is melting... I just purchased a 2016 Regal GS AWD. The H&R 28998-5 are the springs I want to order to lower my GS AWD, is that correct? I just want to confirm before I pull the trigger. I'm far from a mechanic and it has been a few years since I last lowered anything. A good friend of mine is a Buick technician so he offered his help with the install.

For his sake, will we need anything additional (other than springs, compressor, and tools) to complete the install? And is there any modifications or fabrications needed to make these springs fit beyond just swapping these springs with the stock ones?

Last edited:

dmr02

Toronto, Ontario
Buick Ownership
18 Regal GS
My brain is melting... I just purchased a 2016 Regal GS AWD. The H&R 28998-5 are the springs I want to order to lower my GS AWD, is that correct? I just want to confirm before I pull the trigger. I'm not mechanic and it has been a few years since I last lowered anything. A good friend of mine is Buick technician so he offered his help with the install.

For his sake, will we need anything additional (other than springs, compressor, and tools) to complete the install? And is there any modifications or fabrications needed to make these springs fit beyond just swapping these springs with the stock ones?

I can verify its a clean swap. Just the regular tools you would need to change the springs that is all. Of course an alignment after. I can not verify that part number for you because mine was FWD so I believe there is a different number for the AWD

fourthstreet

Buick Ownership
2016 Regal GS AWD
I can verify its a clean swap. Just the regular tools you would need to change the springs that is all. Of course an alignment after. I can not verify that part number for you because mine was FWD so I believe there is a different number for the AWD
Yes, I believe you are right. I was hoping yours was AWD lol. I'll keep digging!

Get your turbo buick badge right here!