The switch has arrived

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
2007 Lucerne CXL. and 1995 Lesabre currently, past 1973 Riviera, 1968 Riviera
GM will decline it first, the vehicle is not serviced, if a questionable warranty repair. Then it goes into arbitration with GM and the owner has to prove that it didn't cause the repair that was needed. There's more details, but it's up to each owner to decide.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
2014 Regal 2.0 Turbo AWD Trifecta Tune
The motor won't get damaged by increasing the output by 50 hp. If a larger turbo was installed and it was making over 500hp I would be concerned, but a basic tune is nothing to be concerned about the durability of the motor.

1500cc

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal GS
The motor won't get damaged by increasing the output by 50 hp. If a larger turbo was installed and it was making over 500hp I would be concerned, but a basic tune is nothing to be concerned about the durability of the motor.
You're right, 50 more hp shouldn't hurt the motor. But what happens if the rear end grenades, or the tranny shits the bed, or even if a piston blows for some entirely unrelated reason? GM would be well within their rights to claim the damage was caused by the extra power, and there's no way you could prove otherwise.

Zaxer

MKE
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
As more tuning methods have become easier to acquire, manufacturers have become increasingly vigilant and ready to deny warranty claims as a first response. When I had my BMW, the techs got upside down that I wanted to disable active sound (which is artificial engine noise) which had nothing to do with engine or drivetrain management, and in fact was simply disabling a module connected to the audio system (not even removing). They told me they wouldn’t do it/BMW wouldn’t let them do it, warned me that I was taking a risk with warranty if I did it myself etc. etc. Ultimately I was confident I would win any potential denials if something happened, purchased a OBD wi-fi dongle and bimmercode and had it done in 10 minutes (and activated captive features like rear fog light). Incidentally I also had a Burger stage 1 piggyback as well (for n20 engine). At some point, it occurred to me the manufacturer can create real obstacles and make life very difficult in these situations, even though the merits for denial can be just silly. Of course nothing happened, the car ran just fine and all was well. For me it’s all about “is it worth the fight?”, combined with a simple understanding that manufacturers have teams of attorneys who are hired to protect them.

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
1500cc you are correct. But again as some people only believe their opinion is the only correct one and all others are wrong, this is Trifecta's view of a tune and manufacturers warranty who I believe is more knowledgeable then anyone who only has their tune LOL.

A Word About Manufacturer Warranty and Aftermarket Modifications

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
1500cc you are correct. But again as some people only believe their opinion is the only correct one and all others are wrong, this is Trifecta's view of a tune and manufacturers warranty who I believe is more knowledgeable then anyone who only has their tune LOL.

A Word About Manufacturer Warranty and Aftermarket Modifications
As this thread has derailed, I guess it's ok to chirp in.
It will be goodbye power-train warranty, but I'm waiting to see what difference in 1/4 mile times are achieved by a TourX with a Trifecta tune before I decide to jump.
Seat of the pants reports tend to have the placebo effect.

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
Like I said earlier, I have had the dealer do engine related warranty work and they found no indication my car was tuned after I flashed it back to stock. As for the power gain with the tune the difference is like night and day.

The engine pulls a lot harder since the torque is increased, along with the removal of torque management in the stock tune. Plus the transmission shifts so much better, so the overall driving experience is a huge improvement from stock.

I wouldn't have bought my car if there wasn't a tune available for it. Since I don't race my car, how it drives is more important to me than the quarter mile time.

Last edited:

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal

2007LucerneCXL

Illinois
Buick Ownership
When doing any modifications on a vehicle still covered under warranty all things need to be considered even simple switch changes.

It’s important to understand there are differences between a manufacturer's warranty and a secondary service contract as the repair claims process depends on the type of policy. It's in the apples and oranges food group.

Lt0302

Buick Ownership
Regal Sportsback GS
just waiting on the rear spoiler and auto folding mirrors and will find out if they all work. I plan on doing all at the same time.
I may do the switches before just to see if it works. GS game a nice detailed how to take apart the center console. I did print them out. Got some German Import beer in the fridge. No all I need is some time to get it done!

ctsemicon

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Tourx
OK, I am also avidly awaiting the outcome. I already did install the switch bank from Vauxhall/Opel (got it on e*** UK ...Has the Sport mode button and the Auto S/S switch. I can confirm just installing the switch bank does not enable either function. But it was a very easy swap..pop the console trim and you can swap switch bank in 30 mins.

now, I do have a working version of GM MDI, and having programmed many BMW's and Jaguars, I don't expect it should be too tough as long as MDI allows it. I have not had time to connect and exercise the MDI software...maybe new weekend.

Irock1985

Buick Ownership
2018 Buick Regal
OK, I am also avidly awaiting the outcome. I already did install the switch bank from Vauxhall/Opel (got it on e*** UK ...Has the Sport mode button and the Auto S/S switch. I can confirm just installing the switch bank does not enable either function. But it was a very easy swap..pop the console trim and you can swap switch bank in 30 mins.

now, I do have a working version of GM MDI, and having programmed many BMW's and Jaguars, I don't expect it should be too tough as long as MDI allows it. I have not had time to connect and exercise the MDI software...maybe new weekend.
Bummer 😔😔😔😔

Thanks for the update though...

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX

Updates?

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Like I said earlier, I have had the dealer do engine related warranty work and they found no indication my car was tuned after I flashed it back to stock. As for the power gain with the tune the difference is like night and day.

The engine pulls a lot harder since the torque is increased, along with the removal of torque management in the stock tune. Plus the transmission shifts so much better, so the overall driving experience is a huge improvement from stock.

I wouldn't have bought my car if there wasn't a tune available for it. Since I don't race my car, how it drives is more important to me than the quarter mile time.
Well I have Stock Times

Just a reprogram of the 8-Speed Aisin ought to be worth almost .2 seconda 1.5 to 2 mph.
Driveability should be better also.
I don't think a sane & safe tune would ever get a TouX faster than 14.3s ET @ 97mph Trap at sea level. (It's no GNX)
If Trifecta can do that I'll be all in. Acceleration of a Stock Tourx after it drops into 4th gear is really mild, Like a Subaru at normal speeds, (Yawn)
Until this can be demonstrated more than once I'm holding off till next spring at the earliest.
Trifecta isseems in no hurry to publish before & after to show any improvements.
I hope those with the tune take it to a track.
I have little faith in VBox numbers and the like, unless runs are back to back to show relative gains.

PS it would be interested to see if the switches can be enabled to actually do something, meanwhile these seem kind of cool:
SMALL Blank Button Car Stickers Funny Decals Seat Eject Missiles Oil Autos VW | eBay

BoostedRegal2.0

Buick Ownership
My car pulls hard through all the gear changes with the Trifecta tune. It really is a night and day difference how well the car performs after a tune.

Hinky

Buick Ownership
Regal Tourx
My car pulls hard through all the gear changes with the Trifecta tune. It really is a night and day difference how well the car performs after a tune.
Sweet! I'd love to see a 0-60 number. Trifecta said they'd do some 0-60s but they seem to have forgotten.

Zeroboostbuick

S.W. Ontario Canada
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback - 2010 Yamaha R6 (track bike) Past cars: 92 LeSabre, 98 Regal, 02 GrandPrixGT
Did you run the 1/4 mile ??? In 100% stock form, your car should run no faster than 14.8 ish on a good day. Probably around 15.0 is my bet. With the Trifecta tune I'd like to know 1/4 mile times.