TourX Roof Rack

DANJ

Taking a closer look, I see the distance between the rails on the car gets narrower towards the back, so ideally, I need a cross bar and feet that allow mounting at different widths. I carry a long kayak, too, so maximizing the distance between cross bars is important, and the dimples on the rail are not the spots I would choose.

I asked the ebay seller if there is any adjustment possible where the cross bar meets the foot, but it looks like a fixed length, so I'll see how they respond.

Otherwise the Thule kit looks like the better, but very expensive option.

mdchambe

Buick Newbie
Buick Ownership
Buick
Thanks for the info here everyone. Anyone pull the trigger on the ebay options? There appear to be a few options on ebay from the selling with prices as low as $139 shipped.

We'll just be carrying skis and would likely go with the cheaper option if the quality is seemingly ok.

Thanks!

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
Just curious if anybody has any thoughts on using the base feet for an Audi A6 (which I own) on the TourX? It LOOKS very similar, and knowing how they work, it seems like it might do the trick. Once the car arrives (shipping from Kansas) I'll report back.

Rhetoric

SUPPORTING MEMBER
MPLS
Buick Ownership
Red Needle TourX
Just curious if anybody has any thoughts on using the base feet for an Audi A6 (which I own) on the TourX? It LOOKS very similar, and knowing how they work, it seems like it might do the trick. Once the car arrives (shipping from Kansas) I'll report back.
What brand base feet? If Thule, you can cross check via their European fitment guide.

As a driver that has had to avoid gear flying off someone else’s car, please be sure it works before motoring on with something that ‘might do the trick.’

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
What brand base feet? If Thule, you can cross check via their European fitment guide.

As a driver that has had to avoid gear flying off someone else’s car, please be sure it works before motoring on with something that ‘might do the trick.’
I will definitely make sure its 100%, not only do I not want to kill anybody, I also wouldn't want to lose my skis or my bikes.

SpencerK

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX

They look like they are using the same picture, when I go to the fitment guide (yes, its Thule), and the model is CLOSE. I'll report back once I've got the car in hand. I'm in California, its in Kansas.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
Reviving this old thread as summer approaches ... what do you guys think of your roof racks now that you'd had them awhile? Also, can you post ballpark of what you paid if you don't mind, including feet, locks, bike rack, etc.? And what do you think of it? Would you buy it again or look around?

Also, for cyclist types, what rack did you get to actually hold your bike onto the crossbars and are you happy with it? Trustworthy for 12-hr road trips? I've seen a few on Amazon and eBay, vary widely in price, but even some cheap $40 ones get excellent reviews from people with $3k bikes.

Here are some rails posted in the FB TourX group. The G3 brand at about $107 shipped looks competent, doesn't sit obnoxiously high, gets very good reviews and they have a quality video which is telling. That vendor also lists telescoping bars in that link if anyone's interested @DANJ (might help with what you mentioned about needing variable lengths) - with a TourX owner review.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
Ah, good... I think those are the Thule cross bars.

Stupid question: Why are they 6" tall?!

Why can't they make/sell a set of cross bars that merely cross straight from one roof rail to the opposite one?
I do not have a moon roof. Mr. Thrifty says use universal roof racks.
If you are buying new, get as tall of a rack you can find. My old Flea Bay specials are low, so I have to invert the mounting hardware for our Pep Boys carrier.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX
I do not have a moon roof. Mr. Thrifty says use universal roof racks.
If you are buying new, get as tall of a rack you can find. My old Flea Bay specials are low, so I have to invert the mounting hardware for our Pep Boys carrier.
Not a fan of tall racks, but you raise thoughtful concerns. Thanks.

zach.friend

Virginia Beach, VA
Buick Ownership
2019 Regal GS
Hi all,

I'm buying a TourX this summer, to replace our old Outback...

We're going to need a roof rack, and soon.

I've seen the accessories on Buick's website, but there doesn't seem to be any way to actually order them.

I can use Thule's European sites to look at options for the un-rebadged Opel.

Other ideas?
You just need the right rubber feet and voila. Find a random set on Craigslist you could just fit new feet. Thule will sell you just the feet.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
I just got my Nordrive rack from MicksGarage.com (Ireland) today, and got them mounted this afternoon.
https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-racks-and-bars/Opel/Opel-Insignia/INSIGNIA-B-Country-Tourer-2017-Onwards/products/3356814-38237/aluminium-roof-bars-for-opel-insignia-b-country-tourer-2017-onwards-with-solid-roof-rails
Turns out it's a generic kit (instructions don't mention any car by name), but fits the TourX just fine. My goal was as low as possible, and I've got that... sunroof has about 1/8" clearance under the front bar as it opens. Not much room there for anything other than a tiedown strap. Or, just leave the roof closed while there's a wet kayak on top. The instructions say to put the bars about 70cm apart (less than 3 feet) but with a 12-14 foot kayak, I thought they should be further apart. Front bar is at the front edge of the factory mounting dots (for roof clearance). Back bar is in line with the back edge of the fixed sunroof glass. Haven't moved the car since I installed them, so don't yet know how loud the setup is.

These have a t-bolt slot in the top, so I'll be able to install the kayak upright mounts on the top of the bar, instead of looping around with custom bolts & plates like I did with my last car. Now.... need to figure out where to tie down the front end of the boat...

justiz00

Buick Ownership
Tourx
You could source the tow bolt and screw it in when you need to secure the kayaks. The factory one stores on the spare tire/subwoofer compartment I believe.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
You could source the tow bolt and screw it in when you need to secure the kayaks. The factory one stores on the spare tire/subwoofer compartment I believe.
Others have poked behind the cover on the front bumper and found nothing but crash foam. I expected to do that like I did on my BMW wagon, but apparently no luck (front or back) on the TourX.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I just got my Nordrive rack from MicksGarage.com (Ireland) today, and got them mounted this afternoon.
https://www.micksgarage.com/d/roof-racks-and-bars/Opel/Opel-Insignia/INSIGNIA-B-Country-Tourer-2017-Onwards/products/3356814-38237/aluminium-roof-bars-for-opel-insignia-b-country-tourer-2017-onwards-with-solid-roof-rails
Turns out it's a generic kit (instructions don't mention any car by name), but fits the TourX just fine. My goal was as low as possible, and I've got that... sunroof has about 1/8" clearance under the front bar as it opens. Not much room there for anything other than a tiedown strap. Or, just leave the roof closed while there's a wet kayak on top. The instructions say to put the bars about 70cm apart (less than 3 feet) but with a 12-14 foot kayak, I thought they should be further apart. Front bar is at the front edge of the factory mounting dots (for roof clearance). Back bar is in line with the back edge of the fixed sunroof glass. Haven't moved the car since I installed them, so don't yet know how loud the setup is.

These have a t-bolt slot in the top, so I'll be able to install the kayak upright mounts on the top of the bar, instead of looping around with custom bolts & plates like I did with my last car. Now.... need to figure out where to tie down the front end of the boat...

The above are similar in the mounts to my cheapo E Bay specials. The u-bolts to my Pep-Boys carrier must be inverted to clear the roof. I would have to put a pad in the carrier to carry anything I would not want to have scratched or torn.

If you could find a set about an inch or so taller that would be best. Those really tall OEM offered racks look silly and I read are prone to wind noise.

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX

Pacer69

Sustaining Member
KC
Buick Ownership
TourX

Would you mind posting a few pix of the racks installed on your TourX? Thanks. For me, it's Thule or this.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
Would you mind posting a few pix of the racks installed on your TourX? Thanks. For me, it's Thule or this.
I didn't take any beauty shots, and my wife has the car today, but here's a screenshot from video I did of the sunroof opening under the front bar. There's about 1/8" clearance. 15113

The sunroof sure is reflective. Back bar is placed way behind the rail dimples, I used the back edge of the glass to align & keep it parallel. Might move it further forward, but I wanted a wide span for the 13' kayak. Front bar is just behind the front dimple.

mike69440

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX Essence
I didn't take any beauty shots, and my wife has the car today, but here's a screenshot from video I did of the sunroof opening under the front bar. There's about 1/8" clearance. View attachment 15113

The sunroof sure is reflective. Back bar is placed way behind the rail dimples, I used the back edge of the glass to align & keep it parallel. Might move it further forward, but I wanted a wide span for the 13' kayak. Front bar is just behind the front dimple.

View attachment 15114
That would not be a happy day if you had hardware mounted to the racks and pushed the moon roof open button.

Maybe that is why the OEM racks are tall like a giraffe.

toga94m

Buick Ownership
2018 TourX
The nice thing about these (can't tell from my photos) is that the top rubber strip comes out to expose a slot for T-bolts. Then trim the rubber and reinstall it. The mounting accessories stay on the top of the bars. I'll probably also wrap my thin ratchet straps around under as well though.