• This section is for help and assistance with 2018 and NEWER Buick Regals. If you need assistance with a 2011-2017 Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. If you need assistance with a 2010 or older Buick Regal, CLICK HERE. This notice may be dismissed by clicking the X in the right corner.

2018+ Regal Age Demographic (Poll)

What vehicle/age category do you belong to?

• Total voters

L J

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I think it is not right I can not be part of this, since age in poll starts at 20 years old.
Just because I am only 16 .... that is age descrimination!
I did not know if I legally changed my birthday to Febuary 29th, that it would be this complicated.

carsrmilife

Brighton, MI
Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I think it is not right I can not be part of this, since age in poll starts at 20 years old.
Just because I am only 16 .... that is age descrimination!
I did not know if I legally changed my birthday to Febuary 29th, that it would be this complicated.

Well, I don't think the average 16 year old has the budgetary means to afford a TourX lol.

Looking at the poll though, it appears it's Millennial's for the win currently. And they said we were the generation to kill off cars lol.

Last edited:

Kd4ttc

Naperville IL
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Online data says that the TourX represents 40% of Regal sales while the other 60% are Sportbacks. I'd say the poll is skewed by TourX owners more likely to respond to this poll.

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Online data says that the TourX represents 40% of Regal sales while the other 60% are Sportbacks. I'd say the poll is skewed by TourX owners more likely to respond to this poll.
We station wagon owners can't help that we're more obsessive and enthusiastic. :cheers:

Mac-427

Buick Ownership
2019 TourX
With Buick's efforts to market their vehicles to a more youthful buyer, I thought it would be interesting to see if their rebranding effort has successfully lowered the average age of ownership (for the Regal at least). Historically, Buick has hovered around an average buyer age of 60. This figure dropped to less than 50 years old in 2018 according to CarMax.

The obvious accuracy limitation of this poll is the small sample size of forum members. Additionally, older folks are inherently less likely to partake in online forum activities. My aim is to merely feed my curiosity.

I broke the poll into two categories because I am limited to 10 poll responses (site owner, it would be helpful if we could create multiple polls within one thread :)). If there is interest in seeing a poll for the GS or other trim specifically, I'd be glad to make one.

-A proud 25 year old GS owner

I'm a retired School Superintendent (age 76) with a life long addiction to Hot Rods, Customs and fast cars. Before we purchased our TourX we had a 2018 Camaro SS convertible we were using as a show car. We had only put about 3.000 miles on it in two years. Recently we built a 66 Mustang Resto Mod which basically eliminated the need for the SS Vert because two show cars in our minds, were unnecessary. We had seen photos of the Buick TourX but had never seen one live until we visited our local Buick dealer. After the visit, we traded the Camaro and bought the TourX. It's a great cruiser and road car that fits our needs perfectly. I've attached photos of our TourX and our Mustang hot rod because we think they both are pretty cool. Photo from Backyard.jpg Autorama 1.jpg

Last edited:

PrincipalDan

Gallup, NM
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
I'm a retired School Superintendent (age 76) with a life long addiction to Hot Rods, Customs and fast cars. Before we purchased our TourX we had a 2018 Camaro SS convertible we were using as a show car. We had only put about 3.000 miles on it in two years. Recently we built a 66 Mustang Resto Mod which basically eliminated the need for the SS Vert because two show cars in our minds, were unnecessary. We had seen photos of the Buick TourX but had never seen one live until we visited our local Buick dealer. After the visit, we traded the Camaro and bought the TourX. It's a great cruiser and road car that fits our needs perfectly. I've attached photos of our TourX and our Mustang hot rod because we think they both are pretty cool. View attachment 21224 View attachment 21225
Mustang and TourX.jpg
Good for you.

I'm a 42 year old middle school principal and the TourX is my first new car. I the 1967 Mustang has been a slow project.

I might take a swing at a superintendency some day but only once I'm eligible to retire. If the school board gets too nuts I'll take my toys and go home. :ROFLMAO:

buickbox

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X Preferred
I'm 23 and just got my tour x (2018) for starting my new life as a graduate student in LA. Loved it! It is a little bit too empty for me to drive alone.
Inked20200313_165048_LI.jpg
My mom drives a 2017 envision back in my home country, which is a really nice and fun car for my family.
And it is cool to have a different car from my friends here, they all bought Japanese cars, and I never want to follow the trend. When I want to buy a buick here, they keep telling me that the one I want is an "old people brand" here in the united states just by prejudice, but astonished when they saw my new Tour X and took the ride!

Fun facts. In my home country, people love the Buick brand so much. Japanese brands in china having a hard time there because of the history of WW2 and the anti-japanese mood still in people's minds. And even successful people tend to prefer Buick rather than Cadillac to keep a humble/low profile while still preserve the Luxury.
Buick sales in china outperform Chevys by several times, because people there really don't like the logo of Chevy's(they think the cross means Christian/symbol of tomb/death, yeah, just because most people are atheists they don't like it) so GM rebranded lots of chevy cars to Buick, lol.

And the market is so big that I believe gm cannot just make Buick disappear in the united states, or people in China will not buy them if the car is not "all American" at all (if one day Buicks are only sold in chinese market in the future, they will lose any "luxury-ness" in their brand)

Last edited:

Monti182

Watchung, NJ
Buick Ownership
2019 Buick Regal TourX ETM, DC1, S&S
First Car was a 1980 Regal Coupe, and have Loved the Brand ever since. Never thought I'd be a wagon guy, but here we are. Shame that with the death of the Regal (again) that leaves no reasonably priced wagons here in the states. The Prices on those Volvo/BMW/Merc wagons are downright absurd. And before anyone asks, I don't count Subarus. I just don't. They're... different.

ready2fly

Tampa, Florida
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback Preferred II
I'm 23 and just got my tour x (2018) for starting my new life as a graduate student in LA. Loved it! It is a little bit too empty for me to drive alone.

My mom drives a 2017 envision back in my home country, which is a really nice and fun car for my family.
And it is cool to have a different car from my friends here, they all bought Japanese cars, and I never want to follow the trend. When I want to buy a buick here, they keep telling me that the one I want is an "old people brand" here in the united states just by prejudice, but astonished when they saw my new Tour X and took the ride!

Fun facts. In my home country, people love the Buick brand so much. Japanese brands in china having a hard time there because of the history of WW2 and the anti-japanese mood still in people's minds. And even successful people tend to prefer Buick rather than Cadillac to keep a humble/low profile while still preserve the Luxury.
Buick sales in china outperform Chevys by several times, because people there really don't like the logo of Chevy's(they think the cross means Christian/symbol of tomb/death, yeah, just because most people are atheists they don't like it) so GM rebranded lots of chevy cars to Buick, lol.

And the market is so big that I believe gm cannot just make Buick disappear in the united states, or people in China will not buy them if the car is not "all American" at all (if one day Buicks are only sold in chinese market in the future, they will lose any "luxury-ness" in their brand)
Thank you for bringing a Chinese perspective. Is it true that Buick tri-shield logo is considered special in China? Someone told me about it a long time ago. Regal is an amazing car, the best thing that came out of GM in recent years considering huge discounts. Most people in the US just never knew it existed.

buickbox

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X Preferred
Thank you for bringing a Chinese perspective. Is it true that Buick tri-shield logo is considered special in China? Someone told me about it a long time ago. Regal is an amazing car, the best thing that came out of GM in recent years considering huge discounts. Most people in the US just never knew it existed.

Well for the tri-shield logo of buick doesn't really have any special meaning here, (while amusingly chevy's logo give chinese people a negative feeling). Chinese people love buicks because the brand itself represents a symbol of status and luxury, and it is an American car. Chinese people in general love german and american cars because they have good engine and large space, they hate underpowered cars and compacts(where japanese car do well), and for history reasons they boycott japanese car brands because they remind them of the WW2. And you don't want to risk anything on a car which is not politically correct if you are person with status in China. (A lot of japanese cars get smashed, set on fire, and vandalized in 2000s when people go on streets to protest against japan when japanese politician said they will not apologise for their doings in WW2.)

Buick is also THE car of the first president of modern China, Sun Yat-Sen, drove. And the well respected first premier of communist China(the China now), Zhou En Lai also have a Buick Century.

P201201101116224118272772.jpg
Sun Yat-Sen on a Buick.
The buick that the first premier of China drove
The Buick that the first premier of China drives/owns.

It has been a well-known symbol of status and power since 1920s, also considered as a car of and for the pioneers of modern China. In 1930 one out of every six cars on Shanghai's roads was a Buick.
When in 1990s China opens up its market, Foreign entry into the Chinese auto market was still severely restricted. GM emphasize their history of their cars and the relation with Sun Yat-Sen, Chinese modernization and revolution, saying that they are not new comers, but returning back to china, so they got exclusive access first in the new market, and outruns any other foreign car brands in China.

Also, when china opens up its economy, people are getting rich, and they want a car that represents their status and also maintaining a humble image (not fancy cars like Porsche and Maserati that spoiled rich kid drives). And Benz, Audi and BMWs are super expensive because they are imported back then so owning one will give people hint of questionable income/ corruption. VW is also fine, but they are widely used in early taxis in china, so the business guys don't want them. Toyotas/Lexus/Hondas/Nissan has the image problem related to the war history, so people don't want to risk their image to be "supportive", and they always left chinese consumers out if there is a recall worldwide, so their image is really bad there. But if you don't mind you can get one, they are cheap.

Buick has multiple lines which are reasonably priced which suits the middle-class and elites needs, so it gained this "humble" and luxury image.

What make this story more interesting is that the first president of China in 1920s admired Ford back then, and has personally wrote Henry Ford a letter to invite him visit china and if possible to build cars in China, but they turned down the offer, an assistant in Mr. Ford’s office sent Dr. Sun a terse rejection, acknowledging receipt of the invitation but saying, “We desire to advise, however, that Mr. Ford has made no plans for visiting China in the very near future.”. And now Ford is struggling to get a slice of the chinese market, you can hardly find any fords on the streets in China. Nor their brand has any historical meaning or any symbol here. They have lost the chance.

Last edited:
Get your turbo buick badge right here!