• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2008 LaCrosse" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2008 LaCrosse" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

backup camera guidelines disappear randomly..

89quattro

Buick Ownership
2018.5 TourX
Thought that having reached the 3 month point of ownership would mean that this gremlin wouldn't surface on my Essence spec TourX.

Noticed that over the last few days the back up camera has been lagging behind after shifting back into drive, sort of a 3 count before the nav screen reappears.

This morning something different popped up...after shifting back to D, the camera remains on with the guidelines flipped 180 degrees.
Stays there until I cycle back to R and D again.

Can't wait to here the service writers explanation to this one.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
The TSB 17-NA-331 is associated with a few other GM vehicles according to my recent Google search but only the title can be found, not the substance of the TSB without a subscription.

However, there are so many TSB's that apply to my TourX that I may just pay for a 1 month subscription to some place like All Data, so I can print them and take them to the dealer.

Anyway, that TSB referenced above, in its title, talks about the camera lines disappearing because of the VBM.

WHAT is a VBM?

Anaduff

SUPPORTING MEMBER
St. Paul, Minnesota
Buick Ownership
2019 Insignia (with a Buick radio)
My best guess (MBG) is that VBM may be 'Vehicle [or Video] Backup Module'.

Maybe it's time for GM to provide an acronym decoding ring (with an embedded RKE module) to new owners, or at least a glossary in the back of the owner's manual.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
My best guess (MBG) is that VBM may be 'Vehicle [or Video] Backup Module'.

Maybe it's time for GM to provide an acronym decoding ring (with an embedded RKE module) to new owners, or at least a glossary in the back of the owner's manual.
Here's the exact quote from the Title of the TSB:

"This informational bulletin provides information to the customer about the rear camera guidelines not being present at times due to the VBM taking over the rear camera option."

G-485693

Anyone still having this problem? Still no fix from GM according to the dealer.
Yes, I still have the problem. I have had the car for 11 months now and am getting really fed up with GM not doing anything about the problem. Just promising us a fix that never shows up.

jfgesquire

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal TourX
Anyone still having this problem? Still no fix from GM according to the dealer.

I don't think there ever will be a fix. There is just no computer that can load everything that quickly.

If I take my time and let the car fully boot up before touching anything besides the engine start/stop button everything works fine.

If I rush it, then the computer at least gives a camera, albeit without grids, and apparently sometimes upside down!

BahamaTodd

3.8L Member
Palm Beach, FL
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I don't think there ever will be a fix. There is just no computer that can load everything that quickly.

If I take my time and let the car fully boot up before touching anything besides the engine start/stop button everything works fine.

If I rush it, then the computer at least gives a camera, albeit without grids, and apparently sometimes upside down!
I'm not sure I have the same problem. I can drive for a while and the lines are still intermittent. If I put it in neutral the lines come back. Put it back in reverse and they disappear.

Pathy01

I've noticed lately that the lines also appear related to the choppy movement and poor image quality of the backup camera. When my lines disappear, the image is much crisper and moves smoothly as I back up. It seems GM has just not specced good enough hardware, or the programming is subpar as there are plenty of other systems out there that don't exhibit this behavior.

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
I've noticed lately that the lines also appear related to the choppy movement and poor image quality of the backup camera. When my lines disappear, the image is much crisper and moves smoothly as I back up. It seems GM has just not specced good enough hardware, or the programming is subpar as there are plenty of other systems out there that don't exhibit this behavior.
Yes, the frame rate increases a lot when the lines are off. Probably a software issue as I don't think the hardware can't handle the lines too.

SweetWafer

Sustaining Member
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal TourX
I'm not sure I have the same problem. I can drive for a while and the lines are still intermittent. If I put it in neutral the lines come back. Put it back in reverse and they disappear.
I am noting this as well, that the lines disappear sometimes even if the vehicle has been driving for a while. I'm just glad we don't have to wait for the system to boot to get a video stream, lines or not. I do agree the lines are helpful but I assume we can put this on the list of bugs GM will never address. The lack of lines during booting I assume is simply a limitation of the fact that the software to draw the lines isn't ready yet.

exlax2002

Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Tour X
I took the "backup rear symbols" off in the settings. Now no lag with the camera when starting up. You do not get the lines but I will just use the mirrors in conjunction. Thanks to whoever suggested.

PBTourx

Buick Ownership
Regal TourX
I've also noticed that if you're using Android Auto it seems to happen more often. If I don't open it until after I back out of where I am, it works better. Putting it back into D or N when AA is on doesn't work all the time either. It also seems to have more problems in the mornings..... Maybe it's a late sleeper??? I'd like to have it fixed!!

G-662153

My 2019 Buick Regal continues to experiences randomly disappearing back-up camera guide-lines. When shifting into reverse, the lines are there for 3-5 seconds and randomly disappear just when I need the lines the most. It is as if the guide lines time out or the virtual button in the lower left was pushed. The icon to turn the lines on also disappears and I must shift to neutral and then back to reverse to get the lines to return. This generally occurs on the first start up when I’m leaving our parking garage and randomly other times later. It is really annoying and actually presents a significant safety issue.
It is the Avenair model which is overall a nice car but after having used a back-up camera with guide lines for a number of years on my previous cars, I rely on the guide lines.
Dealer say need to wait for fix from Buick. I've been waiting too long!

Katsubento

Hawaii
Buick Ownership
2018.5 Regal GS
My 2019 Buick Regal continues to experiences randomly disappearing back-up camera guide-lines. When shifting into reverse, the lines are there for 3-5 seconds and randomly disappear just when I need the lines the most. It is as if the guide lines time out or the virtual button in the lower left was pushed. The icon to turn the lines on also disappears and I must shift to neutral and then back to reverse to get the lines to return. This generally occurs on the first start up when I’m leaving our parking garage and randomly other times later. It is really annoying and actually presents a significant safety issue.
It is the Avenair model which is overall a nice car but after having used a back-up camera with guide lines for a number of years on my previous cars, I rely on the guide lines.
Dealer say need to wait for fix from Buick. I've been waiting too long!
Yes, this has been an annoyance for quite some time now.

TommyOpel~74-18

Capitol Region of Pennsylvania
Buick Ownership
2018 Regal Sportback
Yep, mine have disappeared since new. LOL, the tech guy said it was because the SD Nav card was missing; once the Nav card came in, they would stay on. Nope. Still go off as described above.

LOL, should have read the entire thread. Bad Tommy.

Last edited:

Banjo

Buick Ownership
2018 Reagal GS
I had that same Issue for short time,seems to have fixed itself.However that backup Cam Is Crap anyway.Every little annoying problem I;ve had with my GS has fixed itself in time... Call it a break in period,The car needs about 4000 miles to learn to adapt to you. My GS is now a better Driver then when I bought it New.

Pedal Commander